I want to give up

Options
What do you do when you want to give up?

I'm exhausted. I fight bipolar unmedicated along with 2 jobs, and full time university. I fit in running 3-5 times a week, and the gym once a week if I'm lucky. I just don't have time. And I want to give up so bad. I lost almost 30 pounds this summer, and I was definitely in a 'high' period. I am so in a low and I am so stuck.

I eat gluten free, vegan, no corn, no canola, no a lot of things. My diet is extremely clean most of the time, just a little repetitive - and sometimes I don't have time to make something with fresh veggies and have to have a shake or a bar instead (the bars I chose extremely cautiously though).

I'm at a loss. I'm unhappy, I can't fit in another type of exercise and I have been around the same weight now for almost a month.

And please don't suggest medication, it's the reason I need to lose 60 pounds (well, now 30 ish).

Please help, I'm almost at the point of throwing my hands up and giving up - not just on my weight loss but on everything.

Replies

• liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I love your username. I'm a treehugger too.

It seems like you have a LOT going on, so much so that it's too much. I can't see your diary but I hope you are not too restrictive. You've lost 30lbs, don't rush yourself on the last 30, or push too hard. It all comes tumbling down when you do not take time to breathe and regroup.

Best.
  • JudeGilford
    JudeGilford Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Listen, Sweetheart, I want you to get back to the doctor, tell s/he how you're feeling and demand a medication that doesn't cause weight gain. I truly believe there is one.

Don't give up on yourself! You're doing amazing things!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    you can manage weight loss without devoting alot of time for exercise.

Proper nutrition will help with weight loss and benefit your outlook as well.

hang in there.

good luck
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    What do you do when you want to give up?

I'm exhausted. I fight bipolar unmedicated along with 2 jobs, and full time university. I fit in running 3-5 times a week, and the gym once a week if I'm lucky. I just don't have time. And I want to give up so bad. I lost almost 30 pounds this summer, and I was definitely in a 'high' period. I am so in a low and I am so stuck.

I eat gluten free, vegan, no corn, no canola, no a lot of things. My diet is extremely clean most of the time, just a little repetitive - and sometimes I don't have time to make something with fresh veggies and have to have a shake or a bar instead (the bars I chose extremely cautiously though).

I'm at a loss. I'm unhappy, I can't fit in another type of exercise and I have been around the same weight now for almost a month.

And please don't suggest medication, it's the reason I need to lose 60 pounds (well, now 30 ish).

Please help, I'm almost at the point of throwing my hands up and giving up - not just on my weight loss but on everything.

Your last statement is a little scary to me. I pray you are not thinking of harming yourself. You definitely need to be talking to someone. Is there someone in your life that you trust? Remember that feelings are very real but not always reliable. Right now your feelings are telling you that you can't do it and just give up. The truth is that you are doing it and very successfully, as well. The truth is that you are worth good health and and a peaceful spirit. Take some deep breaths step back and really look at how good you are doing. I will be praying for peace and hope for you.
  • icjason
    icjason Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Listen, Sweetheart, I want you to get back to the doctor, tell s/he how you're feeling and demand a medication that doesn't cause weight gain. I truly believe there is one.

Don't give up on yourself! You're doing amazing things!!

I'm with Coach on this one. Your physical and mental health are closely related. Dunno what your med history is like. At a guess, you've been through a bunch. I hear the frustration. At the very least, would you talk to a doctor about available options? Misery sucks!
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    how many calories are you eating,increase your calorie intake by 100 cals per day,the first week u might see a gain,that helps budge a plateau,make sure u increase ur intake gradually to atleast ur bmr calories,eventually u can hit tdee.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    Go to sleep and hope it will be better in the morning. I always have excellent dreams about going on adventures and meeting fantastical people... I had a dream about a place called Doddington last night where many strange people lived together happily and you could find somewhere to belong if you wanted to stay. Wish I hadn't woken up from it, there were people made of rain, eight foot tall people who wore crazy costumes, the buildings lining the street all had either a lean to them or something crazy hanging off of a window sill and everyone was so nice. Nothing that awesome will ever happen in real life. You just have to deal with the disappointment and keep hoping every new day will be better.
  • LikesVeges
    LikesVeges Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well, no wonder.....full time school and two jobs? That's a juggling act very few could handle. Plus add trying to eat well. Wow, that is a HUGE amount of reason for stress and struggles. Know first, that is totally normal for you to feel out control and overwhelmed with all you are trying to fit in. You are okay. It's just the weight of the load you have on your shoulders that is the challenge.

A friend of mine said her college offered counseling for free. Maybe yours does, as well. With the burden you are talking about, you should get together with someone to offer you advice and support face to face.

Meanwhile, give yourself a break. You are so young, you have time to do it all. Maybe you need to cut back on work or school. You wouldn't be quitting, just putting your goals into more manageable portions. It isn't worth your mental and physical health to get it all done now. I don't know your situation, but give yourself permission to do what it takes to take care of you.

Get a friend to give you a hug. Go outside and deep breath. Don't give up, but give yourself a break and step back and decide what really needs to be done now and what can wait. Seek out a friend, don't keep this to yourself. I'll be praying for you.

(((((virtual hug for you))))
  • treehugger215
    treehugger215 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words and support, I really appreciate it. I do talk to a counsellor, so thats good! And when I said I want to give up on everything, I meant more on the lines of my degree, work, ect. I realize now it could have been taken as something else, but thats not an issue for me at all.

I appreciate all your suggestions, and I do have medication for an instant relief if it ever does get really bad, its just not something i take everyday.

It always amazes me how much support I get on here, thank you <3
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Hi treehugger,
    For a short time...well for ten years,... in my past life, I was self employed. I HATED working for myself. I was such a slave driver!
    Counsellors are good but even a friend could help to assure that the demands you place on yourself are humane. Right now it sounds to me like you have been responding to the tyrant within and it has worn you right out. It would wear ANYONE out.
  • DERBS21
    DERBS21 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow that's a big relief! So glad you're okay! Don't ever give up, you will get through it and be so happy your stuck with it! You do seem overloaded. Try to find a day for a break somehow. Do something fun that you enjoy. It will give you a new outlook to start fresh. I also love to read. I realize you already have a busy schedule so maybe a book of daily short devotionals to keep positive thoughts in your mind. This sort of thing helps me so much. We all have our days that we are down and don't even understand why sometimes. But tomorrow is usually a brighter day. I try to surround myself with great, positive, happy, caring people. Even doing something nice for someone else can lift your spirits...Hope you feel better soon. Take care of yourself...Please...You Matter!!
  • treehugger215
    treehugger215 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you <3 that means a lot :)
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations on the weight loss.

Wow, you are busy! My ex-SIL is bi-polar. She used to live with me so I know how debilitating it is and I applaud you for being able to have such a full life AND be medication free. It seems that now you're entering your depressive episode that you should strive to maintain and stay on an even keel. Keep food on hand that's healthy and filling and doesn't require lots of prep. Keep up your exercise, I don't think you need it to be structured, but it will be great to help get you through this period.

And don't give up! You have accomplished so much. I don't know how much school you have left, but it will be finished at some point and you'll have a great horizon opened up for you.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    I am not going to lie to you but I am being treated for bi-polar too and I am taking med and still lose.. Ask your doctor for med that WON'T make you gain... You need to be back on med to control your life better.
  • sizzy6
    sizzy6 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I listened to a radio program yesterday whilst in the car, it was mainly about women and how they put too many demands on themselves, we all expect to be superwoman and deal with everything, the main points where that sometimes something has to give and we cannot do everything, so basically stop putting yourself under so much pressure - easier said than done I know!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Treehugger, it sounds like you need to rest. The body produces more cortisol when stressed, which makes it harder to lose weight. And if you are bipolar, you are likely to get a lot more easily fatigued than people who are not bipolar. From what I understand, bipolar is similar to autism in some ways - sensory hypersensitivity, and an inability of the brain to automatically filter out irrelevant info, so you have to consciously filter, with your intellect, which is exhausting. I'm on the autism spectrum, and have a few friends with bipolar, and we seem to have these things in common. I know the feeling of being overwhelmed. For myself, when I was a student, I had to switch to part time, which made it a lot easier for me. Can you get disability support at uni? The most important thing is to look after your health, amd that of course includes mental health as well as physical - the two are interdependent anyway. I would really recommend looking into doing less - finding strategies so that you can work fewer hours, and studying part time. This should increase your quality of life and make it easier to maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine.
  • MAMULAMA
    Options
    Hey,I understand how you feel..Feels as if nothings working out in your favour and everything's going wrong...But these are days when you need to be the bravest and strongest.Face it and fight it.
    One trick always works for me..I think of the exact date after a year-where I would be and how things would be different..
    That generates the happy feeling in me...Just happy without any reason...
    I sugesst you do that..Also avoid going to counsellor or doctors unless absolutely necessary coz even though you may feel better after the visit, but you end up getting more convinced that something's wrong with you.Thats not good!!!!
    Hope it helps!!!
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    im unmedicated bi-polar as well - i had to quit my honours degree at uni because of the crazy it brought out in me. Basically for me without clean eating + exercise at LEAST 1hr per day 6 days per week I start to lose it - but also I find i ALWAYS feel like you describe when I'm not getting enough sleep. If I start feeling overwhelmed or like giving up I force myself to start allowing 9hr of sleep every night, and also exercise in the morning, have to cross it off the list very early in the day or else there are so many things that need to get done it becomes totally paralysing.