My sister gave me her Gazelle.. any hints/tips?

Options
My sister bought a Gazelle when they first started advertising them years ago, but although it sat right in her living room for 4 years, she's never touched it...

I asked her for it and she gave it to me for free! So, I am really looking forward to using it often. I would just like to know if anyone else uses one and what kind of tips do you have? Is there anything I need to know?

Thanks all!

Replies

• TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Imagine what you'd look like if the piece of equipment was invisible!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    just park it in front of a TV and go =) be sure to get your arms into it too just like you would with an elliptical
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    They are great for drying clothes
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    My advice: crank up the resistance.

My mom has one of those, and when you use it at the lowest resistance setting..... it's fun...but pointless.
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I use mine while I watch my favorite tv shows. It allows me to enjoy them without feeling like a couch potato!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Grow a luxurious mullet.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Grow a luxurious mullet.

mullets are a must for using the gazelle.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I miss my Gazelle!!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    use it as a coat rack and go buy some weights...:laugh: :wink:
  • mommyrox05
    Options
    I have one and I hate it! ;( Never felt like I got any kind of work out from it at all!
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Feed it plenty of leaves and grasses and let it outside a few times a day.
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Feed it plenty of leaves and grasses and let it outside a few times a day.
    This is a good starting point, but don't forget that they need lots of exercise. I recommend you get a cheetah to chase it to keep it active.
  • HeatherSLosinIt
    HeatherSLosinIt Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My advice: crank up the resistance.

My mom has one of those, and when you use it at the lowest resistance setting..... it's fun...but pointless.

How would I change the resistance?
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Use it to warm up for other exercise
    or
    on the alternate days from your weight training
    or
    as an alternative to sedentary screen viewing

It doesn't bend the knees so if you have knee problems you can work out longer on this than on an elliptical or even a bike.

Do long workouts cos I reckon it's best for increasing endurance.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have had one for about 7-8 years now, Its great if you have knee or low back problems as it is low impact. Raise the resistance on it and it will give you a nice little work out, beats sitting on the couch. Everyone makes fun of it as all they see is Tony Little and his goofy ponytail swaying in the breeze. Its not a bad piece of equipment if you need something simple, uncomplicated and just gets you moving.
  • HeatherSLosinIt
    HeatherSLosinIt Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    While the funnies are... well... cute, I was looking for some serious answers. I am just beginning on my weight loss, and find that it is very painful and almost impossible to do quite a few things others do. For example: Walking. It is so simple for some people. I have no problem walking around my yard and house, but if I go for any prolonged period of time, my heels, calf and shins shoot pains I've never felt anything to compare them with. I have rheumatoid arthritis effecting my ankles as well, although I have to say, the pain from the arthritis is minimal compared to the other pains.

My doctor suggested to go with something that wasn't as jarring as walking/running/jogging, and where a pool for swimming would be optimal, I do not have the option of swimming daily. So... this is amazing to me to get a Gazelle.

Perhaps after I lose about 50 more pounds, I'll be able to walk again freely. Thanks to those who actually offered up some advice and input.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    never work out alone with tony little.

gazelle-freestyle-review2.jpg
  • julie2000anne
    julie2000anne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I got mine from my mom for free and it's what encouraged me to get off my butt and do something. People can joke, but if you are as out of shape as I was when I started, you'll benefit from it. I use the Couch to 5K app and when it says to walk, I go at a slower pace on the Gazelle and when it says to run, I go as hard as I can. It burns the calories, so I don't see why people are dissing it.

I use this website to measure how many calories I've burned: http://www.fatburn.com/free_tool_activity_burn.asp
  • stacyhall79
    Options
    I used to have one of these...it was ok...but if you are too short i felt it was a little difficult to use! I got rid of it after awhile of just not using it. It is very low impact though, so you should feel good when using it.