Exercise equipment

I'm looking into investing in a piece of equipment. What do you guys thing is best for cardio - an elliptical, treadmil, stairclimber,... I want to get the best benefits for my $$$

Replies

• adore217
    adore217 Posts: 33
    I'm looking into investing in a piece of equipment. What do you guys thing is best for cardio - an elliptical, treadmil, stairclimber,... I want to get the best benefits for my $$$
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Me personally, if I'm going to run, I prefer to do it outside, I get bored of it on a treadmill. I'd go elliptycal, it's kind of unique and it's easy on the knees and joints.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    I had a treadmill and ditched it because it was boring and i can do the same thing outside- I did just recently get an elliptical but i love using them in the gyms so now I have one for the house and its not brutal on your knees and joints
  • adore217
    adore217 Posts: 33
    i'm leaning towards an elliptical. is there a particular one that has the best settings? i don't want to spend too much but i do want a good quality one.
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Do your research. I have been looking at buying another one. The one I have currently is slowly but surely giving up the ghost. I'm not sure what you mean by too much money, but I have noticed that once you hit under $1000 you start getting mixed reviews. One possibility is Play it Again Sports. I checked into them, but haven't made a decision yet. Just read the product reviews before deciding and definitely spend the money for the warranty.
  • jsmalla
    jsmalla Posts: 140 Member
    I bought my Schwinn Airdyne from a local ebayer for only $175. That's an exceptionally low price for such a good unit. I can work as hard as I want to, both legs & arms. It works for me.
  • BikeChick
    BikeChick Posts: 121
    I have a mini stepper machine - it has a screen that tells you how many steps, how many calories you burn, and how long you are on it. It is GREAT cardio! I have never had anything get my heart pumping as fast as that machine! :noway: It really works out your legs, too. I feel the burn within one minute of being on it.
    Jump rope! 6 minutes of jumping rope is equivalant cardio-wise to 40 minutes of jogging. (I read that, somewhere and have believed it ever since, so correct me if I'm wrong.)
    A mini trampoline is also a really great way to work out. It's FUN and an it's a FAT BURNING MACHINE! I jack up my tunes and just start jumpin'. :laugh:
    These are all great alternatives that are cheap, as well. I have a lot of fun with mine!
  • thisisforme
    thisisforme Posts: 28
    I have a gazelle and am completely happy with it. Very quiet and it folds up. Just get someone to help you put it together.:glasses:
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    I use the elliptical quite a bit at our gym. I don't know if I'd buy it for home though (it makes my feet go numb when I'm on it too long).

Call the gym's in your area - alot of them will give you a free trial week. Go in & try the equipment to see which one would be best in your home.

Good Luck. :happy:
  • petdam
    petdam Posts: 16 Member
    This might not be what you have in mind but:
    playstation 2 (or XBOX) (are really cheap nowadays) + Yourself! Fitness + stability ball + step + 2 hand weights.
    That's how I started exercising and I am very happy. It's a great home workout.
  • jenndf
    jenndf Posts: 29 Member
    I have an XL Glider (similar to a Gazelle) that I purchased from QVC years ago. I LOVE it. It gives you a really good workout (I tend to bend my knees slightly so I really get a good burn in my thighs) without being hard on your joints. Plus, it folds up which helps with storage.
    :happy:
  • thisisforme
    thisisforme Posts: 28
    If the exercise machines are the same as spinning, the tootsies go numb because my/your shoes might me too tight...Just a thought:heart:
  • greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    I would go for the bike...better on your knees and gets your heart rate up just as good if not faster.