NC Travel Ideas Needed!

Options
JavaJenn4
JavaJenn4 Posts: 6 Member
Headed to North Carolina in a couple weeks - will be flying into Raleigh & then staying with a friend in Havelock - what are some fun things to do around there? They can be a couple hours away - small road trips always an option. No kiddos, just adults - suggestions appreciated! :)

Replies

• sparkerwallace
    sparkerwallace Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What sorts of things are you into? If you're going to be in Raleigh for any length of time, there's a ton to do downtown. Unfortunately I haven't been to Havelock, so I'm not sure what's there, but it looks like there's a nearby aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores. Also, there's a Marine Corp Air Station in Havelock, so surely thre's something around town. If not, you're also near the Croatan National Forest and Jacksonville isn't far away.
  • JavaJenn4
    Options
    I like doing outdoors stuff - I just fly into Raleigh & then thought we could possibly do something that day while we're in the city & then head back over to Havelock. My friend is a Marine. :) I've been to that aquarium, but he hasn't so we will be heading there one of the days. Anything specific in Raleigh that we shouldn't miss? Thanks for your suggestions so far!!
  • sparkerwallace
    sparkerwallace Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    In Raleigh, right near the airport is the William Umstead State Park which is pretty massive and gorgeous. If the weather is right, you can't go wrong spending some time there. There's also a beautiful Rose Garden and Arboretum near the NC State Campus. On the way there is a beautiful Art Museum with trails that crisscross the surrounding woods and connect with several of the city greenways. If you're heading downtown, The Capitol building is right in the middle of the city and open to the public. Just north of that is both the History and Natural Science Museums. The Science Museum actually just opened a giant, fun, and modern new wing a few months ago that's worth checking out if you've got the time. And there are plenty of nice little restaurants and cafes around downtown, especially south of the Capitol near Wilmington Street. There's plenty more I'm sure I've missed, but I think that alone should make for a fairly full day.
  • JavaJenn4
    Options
    Great, thanks for the suggestions! I'm sure we'll check a few of them out! :)
  • psmith_five
    psmith_five Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you'll take highway 70 from Raleigh to Havlock. If so, and you are willing to accept the calories. Stop by Wilbur's BBQ in Goldsboro. I grew up there and love it. You shouldn't go to NC without visiting the outer banks. Fort Macon state park is a Civil War Fort that's only 30 minutes from Havlock and Cape Lookout lighthouse is only an hour plus I think a ferry ride. I don't know how long it would take to get to Corrola island but it is filled with the wild mustangs that roam everywhere. I hope you have fun. Semper Fi