Calories Burned...

Options
I have spent the last few hours, off and on, shoveling the 2+ feet of snow that we got here in VA. I'm curious to know how many calories you can actually burn in an hour. Does anyone know? I did google it but go such a wide range of answers, anywhere from 329 to 536.

Replies

• ceciliamay
    Options
    Good Afternoon! I did the same! I actually walked to my parents house 2+miles to shovel there. I figured it was shoveling heavy snow, 30 minutes = 555 calories. SW=Current weight: 172.
  • mirandam1076
    Options
    It's going to high! I would go with the 536 but I guess it depends on your overall fitness in the first place. If you want to take an average of the two, that might be the safe bet.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Well... it depends on how hard you work, and for how long- as well as what you currently weigh!

Yesterday I shoveled my first hour and burned 350 calories. Second hour (a few hours later) I burned 455 more in the same exact amount of time. Today I went out for just over half an hour and burned 225. I wore my HRM to get my numbers.

I suggest a site like caloriesperhour.com
  • MsT4u
    MsT4u Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone. I actually just ran across the website www.caloriesperhour.com and according to that I burned 759 calories in the 90 minutes I shoveled. I am very happy with that! So maybe there is a bright side to this two feet of snow after all, lol. Thanks again!