How to tell others about MFP??

Options
I have some friends and family that are interested in losing weight, and some that aren't that need to for their health.

I wanted to have a 'lose 10 pounds for xmas' or something competition but I don't know how to ask them about it, I don't want to offend anyone but I want to help them....

Replies

• DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • Amandajean2591
    Options
    be like "oh, iv'e started using this awesome app. it's called MFP, you should totally try it!!!"

=D
  • DaniKenmir
    Options
    Yeah I did that with ashleigh, but she just went, huh? I know people like megan want help and I'm talking to her about it but I dunno it's tricky
  • trunkfish
    trunkfish Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If some of your friends and family are already interested in losing weight, they will be probably be up for it, or at least keen to know what's involved. I would leave the ones alone who need to lose weight but aren't interested in doing it. If they see you and your friends doing it, with no pressure from you, they might get interested themselves.

My plan is similar - 3 months to lose 28lb for a holiday in the Maldives at Christmas. It's good to have a specific target. Good luck to you and yours.:happy:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    if your family is here how are you gonna flirt with total strangers and post all about your fights with your BF?
  • DaniKenmir
    Options
    Ha ha I'm trying to get my bf on here too, he doesn't need to lose weight he just wants to build more muscle as he lost alot after he hurt his knee overseas. My dad and one of my best friends are on here now
  • Amandajean2591
    Options
    if your family is here how are you gonna flirt with total strangers and post all about your fights with your BF?

are you for real?? :huh:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

are you for real?? :huh:

no....I'm for sarcastic
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:
  • Amandajean2591
    Options
    [/quote]

no....I'm for sarcastic
    [/quote]

thank god for that ! LOL
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Theres no helping the ones that aren't yet interested in losing weight, the ones that are however, just say it would be great fun to all be on here doing it together!
    I got shot down by a friend of mine who asked me what I was doing... when I told her she was all like 'Oh I dont know why you bother writing it all down when you can just remember, I wouldnt want my food out on show for everyone to see, besides, youre 'fine' as you are' I was thinking isnt that the point? We get overweight through bad choices right, so if we have a community of people all trying to make good choices it can only help! Needless to say, she didnt join up and is STILL moaning about not losing any weight despite going to the gym.... and MacD's on the way home. :huh:
  • DaniKenmir
    Options
    Yeah I'm lucky I've always hated maccas, though KFC is a killer for me! My dad and I had a big chat about it recently and it's hard seeing family going on blood pressure medication (which lowers your blood pressure but is bad for you) instead of losing some weight and fixing it naturally. I don't wanna lose people before I have to!
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    ahh heck..tell them ya see this gal whose 50 that lost a wack a weight n is totally of blood pressure pills n insulin (was on 170u a day) and that if she can get healthy by changin her lifestyle i can too.... say, its amazin how easy it is to log what you eat and it counts up the calories for you... right easy....and it really helps.... they have alot of support etc. and say..yanno i want to avoid all possible co-morbidities n be healthy. by showing them you are learning, having fun and changing they may join too....

and too...you could say...this lady left it so long changing she got up to 600 pounds...and it took her husband being sick to make her realize it...
    i hope no one has to come to their partner getting sick and to die 9 months later to realize health is everything.
  • healthyCAL
    healthyCAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Try engaging them in your journey by inviting them on to review your diary everyday. Let them know you need help with accountablitiy and support. Maybe, just maybe, seeing your better choices will pique their interest to make better choices of their own. Unfortunately, you cannot help anyone who doesn't want to help themselves. Good luck
  • bhitchcock92
    Options
    I work at the Chesapeake House on MD I95 at the Cinnabon/Nathan's/Freshns, some older lady had come through my line and was looking for low cal options (we have 2). I told her if she was watching calories and trying to lose weight that there was a site called MyFitnessPal. She wanted to know more about it, so I briefly explained it to her. She seemed enthused, and even asked me to write it down for her so she could personally check it out. I felt awesome for all of about 5 seconds.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Make it about you and not them. Tell them you want to challenge yourself to lose 10lbs before Christmas but you'd like some help in getting there and would they help you out? Once they see some progress on their end, they'll be hooked.
  • Danam48
    Danam48 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

no....I'm for sarcastic
    [/quote]

thank god for that ! LOL
    [/quote]

There is a definite need for a sarcasm font...
    As far as how to tell others, I would frame the conversation on how MFP has helped you make changes and how you are enjoying it etc. I have found that if people are interested in getting healthier they will ask more questions about it and those who are not ready will reply with..."huh, interesting" I know that is how I would have replied before I started this journey. Everyone has to come to the decision in their own time.