High Blood Pressure and exercise

Options
For the past 18 months I've had high blood pressure, usually in the range of 135-145 over high 80s to low 90s. Prior to that I was normal - after I turned 40 it went up a little but there was a significant increase around 2008. In 2007 I had a full cardo workup (because of a acid reflux issue with esophogial spazems that mimiced chest pain) so I know I have a healthy heart and that running on a treadmill till I think I'm dying won't, in fact, kill me :tongue:

I had major surgery in August and my BP on admission was through the roof (very stressful work issue that morning didn't help!) I didn't want to go onto BP meds so I promised my primary care doctor that I'd start a diet and exercise program to get my weight down as soon as I'd recovered from the surgery. Reducing my weight has three BIG payoffs: Lowering my BP; Reducing the amount of estrogen holding fat cells; and, Getting me in better shape for my upcoming mastectomy/ reconstruction surgery sometime next winter (2011).

I've been dieting since early October, and I began sneaking in a little stair climbing at work in December, and in January I began a regular workout schedule which is almost exclusively aerobic at this point. I'm doing crunches and some upper body work with weights but I'm so out of shape that my lower body and some arm work is being done when I do my aerobic work.

My aerobic work is primarily using an elliptical machine and using a HRM to make sure I'm working out in my heart range. I'm taking AZ's advice and using the (forgot the name) calculation where I subtract my resting pulse from my Max HR, multiply by the percentage I'd like to work out at, and then add back in my resting pulse.

I'm 43 - so thus 220-43=177 my resting HR is 80 thus 177-80=97 If I want to work out at 85% of max 97(.85)=82.45 and adding back in my resting pulse I get a target HR of 162. When I started this my resting HR was 90 so there has been some payoff in the past 5 weeks :)

The HR range I aim for is a base of 150 (about 72% of my Max) to an upper target of 165 bpm for at least 35 minutes. My normal session is 50 minutes with a longer (endurance) on Saturdays where I target a range from 140 - 155 or about 60% to 70% of my max for a minimum of 90 minutes. I also mix up my weekday workouts with shorter sessions (35 minutes) where I do short spurts of high intensity kind of like sprints (these kick my butt bigtime and push my HR way up!)

The exercise approach I'm using is mostly thanks to advice AZ gave to me! At least the parts I have done right - the mistakes are all my own:wink:

Assuming my high blood pressure is biologic in cause (rather than work stress) - how long should it take before I start seeing some better numbers? My resting pulse has dropped ten bpm, but there hasn't been much of a trend in my BP. I take it first thing in the morning (before breakfast) and again after I've exercised, stretched out, showered (but before breakfast). I've been logging it daily but it's not showing any significant downward trend.

I know it's only been 5 weeks of exercise, but 20 lbs down (from over 212 to around 192) and far more fit I thought I'd see something?

THANKS!

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are many factors that can affect blood pressure. If the factors happen to be weight-related, then losing weight usually will have a lowering effect. Sometimes, exercise can help as well.

However, there are no guarantees. Sometimes, resting B/P is driven by other things and so exercise and weight loss might not be enough to normalize the situation.

For now, I would recommend that you stick to your program and keep collecting data. At some point, you'll have to sort this all out with your doctor. It can be frustrating because it can be difficult to sort out all of the potential causes or to even identify them. At some point if there is no improvement, your doctor will probably decide that it is necessary to intervene medically because of the long-term risk.

I am in a similar position. I had definite hypertension for years and was on medication. When I started losing weight, I stopped the meds because the side effects were debilitating. I did continue to monitor my pressure. It went to normal levels and stayed there the rest of the year. Since the holidays, it has drifted back up. I haven't gained weight, substantially changed my diet or cut back on exercise. I don't want to go back on medication either. But, if I can't isolate the cause or change things on my own, I may not have any choice.

BTW, using the method of figuring target heart rate that I described for you, an 85% number is a little on the high side. Just make sure you are comparing your heart rate to your feelings of exertion. If it feels really hard, don't keep pushing to hit that number.
  • jiminoregon
    jiminoregon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The signature of your post says: "Please checkout my blog and leave comments! (feedback is good so feel free to be harsh!)" In my opinion you can take harsh criticism, because there is no one that can be harsher on you, than you! I think you're looking for a quick fix to a problem that took years to develop. Take it easier on yourself. Revel in the improvements...and make adjustments to what isn't working.

Honestly, I think my blood pressure went up a few points by reading your post. :wink: You're expecting too much, too soon, and measuring your success too often.

Jim
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Hi there - my understanding is that blood pressure tends to be higher in the mornings, and lower in the evenings. So you might want to start taking your readings at night as well, so you can compare those numbers. It might be that your average decreases even if your first-thing-in-the-morning reading doesn't. But as others have said - there are several factors that can affect blood pressure, and you'll certainly want to follow up with your doctor. What you are doing is undoubtably good for your health, so keep it up! :flowerforyou: