eggs

Options
Egg-cellent News:
If you enjoy eggs, you don't need to cut them out of your diet. In fact, some researchers believe that when people cut eggs out of their diets, their nutrient intake actually suffers. If you're watching your calorie intake, combine a single whole egg with two or three egg whites for a protein- and vitamin D-packed meal for under 200 calories.

Replies

• JohnMessmer
    Options
    Nice Tip :-)
  • tnfelipe
    Options
    Why not four whole eggs?
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I love eggs, and I always eat 2 whole ones when I make my omelettes. Yummy!
  • sjeannot
    Options
    I used to love eggs and make them all the time adding all types of meat and cheeses to them but lately, the smell of it makes me nausious. But it is so strange how much I used to love them to now not even wanting them at all.
  • stevehomoki
    Options
    I already enjoy a dozen a day.....usually raw but cooked is more enjoyable and filling.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Just frying up some eggs for breakfast..... mmmmm I love the low carb diet :)
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Why not four whole eggs?

The yolk contains a lot of calories and fat and not much nutrients.
    The whites are the part of the egg that contains all of the nutrients for less calories :)

If that makes sense in the slightest!
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I thought the yolk had the most nutrients
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Why not four whole eggs?

The whites are the part of the egg that contains all of the nutrients for less calories :)

Is fat not counted as a nutrient now? :tongue: Yolks are higher in calories and fat than whites, and have less protein, but when you look at micronutrients (including vitamin D), yolks have more than whites.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's backward, the yolk contains the most nutrients, although it also does contain the most fat and cholesterol, which also doesn't really matter since the current consensus seems to be that dietary cholesterol and saturated fat does not have the effect on blood lipids as once thought.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    A dozen Whole eggs a weeks didn't slow down my 30% drop in cholesterol and triglycerides. Whole food, the way it was intended.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I would never,ever throw away egg yokes. The whole egg every time. Yum! :happy:
  • Kate964
    Kate964 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    the yolk has the nutrients the whites are mostly protien. i eat at least three large eggs a day because i have a very active job and they keep me going until break.
  • queensturg
    Options
    I love eggs :) I always worry that eating too many isn't good for you just because of the cholesterol and fat, but they're also a great source of protein and other nutrients. I'll have one or two for breakfast a couple times a week, and sometimes use them in recipes when cooking, especially when frying Asian-style noodles (yummmm!) so I think having them in moderation like that is fine.
  • mrsmustgetmuscles1
    Options
    We have breakfast for dinner all the time at our house (we have our own chickens and usually have tons of eggs). Hubby and I usually eat them at a 1:3 ratio, 1 whole with 3 whites, just to keep the calories down. The yolks don't go to waste since the dogs gobble them up like it's a treat so it's a win/win for us!
  • tnfelipe
    Options
    Why not four whole eggs?

Is fat not counted as a nutrient now? :tongue: Yolks are higher in calories and fat than whites, and have less protein, but when you look at micronutrients (including vitamin D), yolks have more than whites.

Yep. As Alan Aragon once said: "Mother Nature winces every time a yolk hits the waste basket."
    Plus, the yolk tastes a lot better. :wink:
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I would never,ever throw away egg yokes. The whole egg every time. Yum! :happy:

Same here. I'm too frugal to throw away egg yolks, and if I'm just going to save them to use another way, what is the point?
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Egg threads bring out the yolk haters like moths to the flame.

Don't hate the yolk. It's tasty and nutritious.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Why not four whole eggs?

Agreed!! It is the whole egg and nothing less for me... :drinker: eggs over easy just wouldn't be the same with just egg whites lol and my toast would be pretty lonely... lol
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Why not four whole eggs?

4 whole eggs are 280 calories and the 3 whites, 1 whole egg is only 121 calories. If you need the extra calories in you diet to reach your goals, then by all means, eat whole eggs. Since I've only got about 1500 calories to work with a day, I use the whites only.