Just saying hey!

Hello everyone! Ill give you quick run down of my story. My wife used MFP to lose some baby weight, but I didn't really pay much attention to my gigantic gut hanging over my belt until about 4 weeks ago when we decided we wanted to take the honey moon we always wanted, next august on our anniversary. I climbed on the scale and was shocked it said 251! I am about 5,9 so I really felt I could lose 70lbs, so my wife mentioned the MFP ap, I downloaded it and started using it 3 weeks ago and so far have lost 21lbs. I was shocked at the amount of calories I was consuming every day, somewhere between 3-4000 calories a day, I run 3 days a week but no where near enough physical exercise for that many calories. This ap, and now that I have found the website as well have made me very very self conscience about what goes in my mouth. More than once I have bought something out of the vending machine, thinking "it can't be that many calories" only to give it to the person behind me because I know just how long I will have to exercise to burn those calories and it just isn't worth it.

Some of my coworkers have noticed and some have even asked if I am sick lol. I really haven't done anything that drastic besides watch my calories and walk during my lunch breaks, after I eat. Well I think I have rambled enough thanks for reading.

Replies

• wmlpd6
    wmlpd6 Posts: 135
    Sounds like you are off to a good start. Good luck with your goals. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • simini77
    simini77 Posts: 67 Member
    Great loss so far!! You must be really motivated by that :) I've been on 2 weeks, lost 7lbs so far, and am really pleased with that! Feel free to add me, we can all do with a helping hand and a kick up the bum!! :D
  • Very frustrated...been bicycling 6 miles a day and eating good and NO change except its good therapy for my ankle and feels good to be out enjoying the weather...I'm afraid I'll get discouraged and just quit
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Very frustrated...been bicycling 6 miles a day and eating good and NO change except its good therapy for my ankle and feels good to be out enjoying the weather...I'm afraid I'll get discouraged and just quit

How many calories are you consuming? What is your BMR? How many calories are you burning during your 6 mile ride? If your calories in are less than your calories out, you will lose weight. If you are not, you are either: Consuming more calories than you think or not burning off as many as you believe.

Get a HRM if you don't already have one to figure out how much you are really burning. Log everything you put in your mouth, Use nutrition guides on the packages or internet to figure out EXACTLY how many calories you are eating.

It does work, you just need accurate information.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Rude awakening, right :laugh:

I'm working on my weight issues & doing very well, but my husband was another story ..... he's 5'10" and weighed 260 ..... with heart issues & diabetes ..... finally it sank into that thick head of his ...... he's made some changes & has lost 30 lbs ...... a work in progress, my man :heart:

Pat yourself on the back ...... at least you've acknowledged the problem ...... it takes time, it takes work, and there is NO giving up !

Make the most of this for you & your family !
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Very frustrated...been bicycling 6 miles a day and eating good and NO change except its good therapy for my ankle and feels good to be out enjoying the weather...I'm afraid I'll get discouraged and just quit

How many calories are you consuming? What is your BMR? How many calories are you burning during your 6 mile ride? If your calories in are less than your calories out, you will lose weight. If you are not, you are either: Consuming more calories than you think or not burning off as many as you believe.

Get a HRM if you don't already have one to figure out how much you are really burning. Log everything you put in your mouth, Use nutrition guides on the packages or internet to figure out EXACTLY how many calories you are eating.

It does work, you just need accurate information.
    Please help a newbie out. What is BMR and how do we find it?
  • scottbrown78
    Great loss so far!! You must be really motivated by that :) I've been on 2 weeks, lost 7lbs so far, and am really pleased with that! Feel free to add me, we can all do with a helping hand and a kick up the bum!! :D
    Thanks, you have no idea, I feel like counting calories has become almost an obsession. I rarely put anything in my mouth without checking it on MFP and considering the cost benefit analysis of exercise to enjoyment, lol. I was blown away at the amount of calories in food we think is good for us. Congrats on your loss!
  • scottbrown78
    Rude awakening, right :laugh:

I'm working on my weight issues & doing very well, but my husband was another story ..... he's 5'10" and weighed 260 ..... with heart issues & diabetes ..... finally it sank into that thick head of his ...... he's made some changes & has lost 30 lbs ...... a work in progress, my man :heart:

Pat yourself on the back ...... at least you've acknowledged the problem ...... it takes time, it takes work, and there is NO giving up !

Make the most of this for you & your family !
    Thanks!