HELP! I want to eat!

Options
I've been doing SO WELL! I've been eating loads better than I used to and drinking tons of water. Now I've reached my point where I'm not PHYSICALLY hungry, but I have the urge and ridiculously strong desire to just eat anything and everything. I want the potato chips that are in the cabinet (they're my mom's), some pizza that my brother just got home, my son's leftovers from when we went out, plus ANYTHING I can find and cook up that's yummy.

I don't know WHY I get like this! I don't know how to combat it. I don't want to sabotage. I'm thinking more big picture, more long term ... and I know one night of eating anything and everything isn't going to feel good. I'm going to feel like **** afterward.

Anyone ever deal with this? How did you combat these urges that aren't from a rumbling tummy?

Replies

• Flutterloo
    Flutterloo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Can you go to bed? Lol. It seems silly but if I am wanting something bad for me at the end of the day, and I am having trouble fighting the urge...I just go to bed lol. Good luck! Hang in there!
  • mmeggison
    Options
    Been there many times. I would suggest let yourself eat but choose something "good" fruits and veggies are free game in almost any diet plan. Good luck hun. Hang in there!
  • cube39
    cube39 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I go to bed. If I'm really stressed and restless, I take my Galaxy Tablet and read a book or play a game. Once I'm into something else, I cam usually settle down and go to sleep relatively quickly. When you wake in the morning, the urge is gone!!! Good luck!!!:flowerforyou:

As you can see, I just joined and am finishing up Day 5. Anxiously awaiting Monday to weigh in and record my success! Fingers crossed!
  • Presleyforpresident
    Options
    take a shower, maybe?
    cravings really only last 15-20 minutes
    xx
  • MeccaLoves2Sleep
    MeccaLoves2Sleep Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth. I once read that Pamela Anderson would do it when she got hungry. The taste doesn't mix well with yummy food. :)

Get away from the temptations. Walk, bike, sleep, read. I know not as great, but the cravings will pass!

You got this!!!
  • purpleposies
    purpleposies Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to read. I gave in and had a salad with white balsamic vinegar for dressing and I'm having a few baby carrots for the crunch and the chew.
  • rachgarm
    rachgarm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I get like this I down a glass of water and see if maybe I was just thirsty. 20ish minutes later if I still want to eat I get something healthy. If I feel like that 30 minutes later I know I either haven't been eating the right things recently, didn't eat enough spacing it out throughout the day, or I am bored. I try to throw that energy into a workout , go walking, light calestinics, elliptical, etc (find workout ideas on YouTube in Pinterest). If I was eating from boredom then I am distracted and no longer hungry. If I truly am hungry then after the workout I try to grab a healthy meal high in protein.

The cleaner your diet, the less you will crave those kinds of foods. In the beginning that is really hard because it's what the body is used to, but push through at least 20 days and it gets soooo much easier. Hang in there, it's not easy, but it IS worth it!
  • rachgarm
    rachgarm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    And remember, what sucks the most about PCOS is that your body craves everything that is the worst for you. As if cravings weren't hard enough for everyone, you are going to crave them twice as much. Acknowledge and accept that so when you get in that mode you can say "this isn't me, this is PCOS and I will NOT let it take one more thing from my life"
  • florikay
    florikay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hang in there..nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.
  • mrramsey
    Options
    Ah it can be tough in a household where there are others and they have their own foods they like.

I found that the more varied my diet is the less cravings I have. i.e. eating too much protein will cause me to crave carbs. Also, and this one can be difficult but try not to get in a rut with eating the same foods daily.

I work from home so it is easy for me to fall into this trap of eating the exact same thing for lunch everyday. I try to eat something different each day so my body doesn't get too much on one thing.

I am no expert but this works for me.
  • mammacoty
    mammacoty Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I too have a problem with binge eating things that aren't good for me...I'll do really well for weeks, but then that time of month comes around and I tend to get derailed. I think brushing teeth, and doing something active will help to curb those cravings...at least, that's what I'm to start doing! Good luck. We can all DO THIS!
  • purpleposies
    purpleposies Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the support. It was rough. It's just the craving to eat ... it's so hardcore. I've had the problem before but I'd been giving in a lot lately. I just wish I knew why it popped up so randomly and then so intense!
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Great ideas on this thread. I agree with drink some water, brush your teeth and go to bed. I was raised to believe that no one should go to bed hungry (brought up eating cereal for bedtime snack immediately before bed) and I think that's true for kids, but if you're trying to lose weight that's the best time to go to sleep! You're unconscious so you don't even know you're hungry, then you wake up and it's breakfast time! :) I know it's hard to get from the kitchen to the bed though, but yeah, brushing teeth definitely helps. If it's not bedtime and it's during the day, chew some peppermint gum or have a mint. Both peppermint and chewing gum are supposed to help with hunger cravings and appetite suppression.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'll do really well for weeks, but then that time of month comes around and I tend to get derailed.

Same here!! Total sabotage!! EAT ALL THE CHOCOLATE! :laugh:
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    - chug water
    - distract & wait, I make myself clean a room for 20 min and then reassess
    - if you can, go to bed

These work great when I remember to implement them, lol. TOM is always a week-long binge fight. Luckily my binges have been drastically reduced since I started IF.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I just read a study that said that your brain's neurological response to food changes for at least 45 minutes after exercise.

Since your craving is a mental/emotional one it would really benefit you to go get some sort of physical activity in.
  • naschulze
    Options
    If things you have around the house are making you want to eat, one thing I do is leave the house and just go for a 10-30 minute walk, with a dog or whatever, just to clear your mind and get out of the house. Think about your goals while you walk and strengthen your resolve. Usually when I do this and return to the house my cravings have dissipated.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Interesting link...

I would drink some kind of zero calorie liquid, flavored water if you're looking for taste. Eat something healthy and crunchy like baby carrots. I also tend to just go to bed, but sometimes it's too early to do that!

Brushing your teeth does help, or chewing on gum especially minty gum!
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Things I do when this hits (and that some others have already touched on):
    • I exercise
    • I go to bed
    • I drink zero-calorie soda
    • I just eat it and get the craving out of the way

My advice if you give in and go the last route is to take a small bit of everything you're craving and putting them on a small plate and then getting the hell away from the kitchen. LOL

But one day of going overboard shouldn't set you back too much, so long as you're self-aware and get back on track. So don't ever beat yourself up over it, no matter what happens.