Couch to 5k

Options
just wondering how this program has worked for you? Thinking of trying it....

Replies

• Brian_VA
    Options
    Great program. I started on June 22 barely able to run for 60 seconds without being totally out of breath and having to stop. Yesterday I ran 10K in 72 minutes without stopping. Completely unbelievable.

If you want to learn to run, this is the way to do it. There is a useful forum also - just search for "c25k forum" in Google (c25k.cze.dk I think). There are posts about running form and midfoot strike that are important to avoid hurting yourself.

Good luck!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    do it! i wouldnt be running without it. I started in may last year.I have gone from struggling to run for 3 mins to now running regularly between 3-6 miles.

I would suggest using podcasts which do all the work for you. There are many out there which have music and have verbal cues to run, walk, rest etc.

good luck
  • reallymyBEST
    reallymyBEST Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Changed my life forever!!!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I agree, I wouldn't be running without it-starting on week 4 tomorrow and loving it!!!
  • readingk1
    readingk1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Truly a great program. I started it this summer and have ran two 5ks this fall. I plan on running several more. It is very easy as it starts you out so that you can feel success and then pushes a little at a time.

Good luck to you!
  • honestykay
    honestykay Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I loved to love run when i was in middle school to junior high but stopped because of an injury. I started about 7 weeks ago and I've never felt better. I'm running 25 to 30 mins straight. Everytime you run a little bit further you feel amazing.
  • webdaughter
    webdaughter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I started it and am now on week 6. Yesterday I ran 20 minutes without stopping!! I have never done that in my life. I didn't run super fast but I ran. I am so glad that I started this. I have found that this is almost a mind over matter thing then anything. You just have to talk yourself through it. You can do it!! Good luck!
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    AWESOME program! My only advice is to make sure your in the correct pace group and spend the money on quality equipment. Shoes fitted by a professional, bras for the ladies, tech clothing! (don't ask me how long it takes to get rid of a skin fungus because of cotton shirts) NEVER miss a training run if you can help it. I have never regretted going, but I always regret skipping. I
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Did not use it myself but I have a couple of running buddies that used this program to get going. One of them ran 2x 20k races this summer! (He stared last summer)
    I started running on my own Jan 1st this year and did not know about this program. I have completed 3x 10 k runs with my last time @ 53 min.
    So, with or without the program, get out and start running!
    And, most important, have fun!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Love it. Week 5, Day 3 is the next run for me. If you can find a buddy to do it with you, even better. Even if you're running at a "slow" pace, you're still running. :)
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It's brilliant, I can happily run for over an hour now, when I started c25k 1 min running seemed like an eternity and the calorie burn is great
  • OrchidBetty
    OrchidBetty Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start the program TODAY. I haven't ran in over 2 years (before the pregnancies). I'm totally out of shape. Its going to be embarassing! LOL Feel free to add me if you're starting out too. :smile:

FYI - I'm in my 30s and would love to lose the 20+ lbs to get back to my pre-preggo weight and another 20+ to feel good in my skin.

We can do it! :bigsmile:
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start the program TODAY. I haven't ran in over 2 years (before the pregnancies). I'm totally out of shape. Its going to be embarassing! LOL Feel free to add me if you're starting out too. :smile:

FYI - I'm in my 30s and would love to lose the 20+ lbs to get back to my pre-preggo weight and another 20+ to feel good in my skin.

We can do it! :bigsmile:
    Don't be embarrassed! Be proud! You won't be the only person there that is a beginner, they all will be.
  • Italian_mom
    Italian_mom Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Love the program, starting week 6 Monday!!
  • robyn0123
    robyn0123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!!! I'm doing week 6 day 3 today!! I use the IPhone app C25K and its free:)The same company has a 10K app that's free as well so that will be my next step! I'm not fast but I'm enjoying how it makes me feel! My 5K is this Thanksgiving.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Turned me into a runner. I always hated running, then something clicked last winter and I challenged myself. Started c25k, used the c25kFREE app by Zen Labs, and completed it in the 9 weeks.

And I'm still running! I've run two 5k races and have two or three more in the coming months. Racing is a blast! And I have enjoyed running, through the c25k program and beyond, in all kinds of weather conditions, at different times of day -whatever.

Give it a shot.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Worked for me! Did it almost 2 years ago and am still running - training for a half marathon.