The New Me (pictures NOT posing)

Options

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Amazing..I LOVE your legs!!! I've been lifting for years now and still trying to get my diet under control. I love the way new rules of lifting for women has changed my body - I have great shoulders now :smile: but I gotta ask, how did you get your diet under control? I think there is TOO much information on this site to know what actually works and what doesn't. I have set my daily calorie intake to 1,360 calores a day (I'm 5'4") and count my exercise calories using my polar heart rate monitor. BUT I find I'm super hungry all the the time! I eat very healthy balanced meals so I shouldn't be hungry (lots of protein, healthy fats, veggies!). My snacks are also balanced with carbs/protein so they keep me going. You did what I've been trying to do..any advice? Or even a sample day of what you ate would be super beneficial!! I am SO impressed with your transformation!!! Thanks!!!

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban
  • donnacof
    Options
    Congrats to you ! I am 51 and realize I need to get back in shape and lose my extra 20 lbs that have crept on slowly. I do cardio but have not done much weight training. Now I see what weights can do. I will try to incorporate into my routine. Thanks for giving hope to another 50+ who wants to find her outer fabulous to go with the inner fabulous !!!
  • softone1
    softone1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look fantastic..I truely wish I could look as good as you...I'm 48 this year and a law enforcement officer in the Canada for the past 18 years..I'm tired and so frustrated with my inability to lose my extra 30 lbs I've gained since I joined the service..I just want to look at your pics all the time and read your story to get motivated..you really are an inspiration to us all..
  • runninggal30
    runninggal30 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are an inspiration. :)
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look amazing! Congratulations! I am 47 and just started my journey to get fit and healthy. Thanks so much for sharing :)
  • tbolashana
    tbolashana Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    Your body is GORGEOUS! you have the body and face of a teenager!
  • Wheelie_UK
    Options
    You look absolutely amazing!! Well done. If you feel brave enough, it would be nice to see you, as you started, so that we could see what I am sure was an amazing change! Doing so, can also help give others confidence to keep on going.

Love some of the scenery in the backgrounds too. Being in England, it is rare to find such open spaces, though some of those pictures look like they were not in the US??

Best of luck for the future. I am sure, having worked soooo hard to get to where you are, you will make sure you do not go backwards. :)
  • Lee_louh
    Lee_louh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Life let me look that good at 52!

Life let me look that good at 32!
  • anrev42
    anrev42 Posts: 331
    Options
    You look amazing! Your journey is such an inspirational to all of us!
  • Moe0112
    Moe0112 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Your hard work has def paid off!
  • Janie_bear
    Janie_bear Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I hope that by Feb - Mar next year I will have achieved what you have. Reading your story has just given me that extra bit of motivation to continue. I will be 52 in May next year and in the last 10 years I have yo yoed dieted from one stuff and starve diet to another, and yes I have lost weight and then put it back on just as quick.

Like you I have been weight training and using different forms of exercise (not at the same level or with the same dedication as you) until xmas when my hubby decided to ask one of the Personal Trainers at our gym if he would train me. Since then I have had 3 sessions a week with him and I have lost a total of 44lb, one pound a week almost consistently! I joined mfp a few months back and found the tool I needed to finally realise that my portion sizes were way more than I needed. I feel very much stronger and fitter in myself, also much happier.

You look fantastic and have a very feminine shape. So proud of you for showing it can be done even when you are 50+. I am 5'8" and my goal weight is around 150lb. I was 210lb at xmas and 166lb now. I am really pleased with what I have achieved even though at the start I was disappointed about not losing weight quicker!! I now realise that I will be able to maintain my weight loss a lot easier now because I understand the nutritional side as well as the work out side of keeping fit and healthy a lot better than I ever have before.

I am sure you have many friends and probably do not need any more but I would really love to be a friend to continue watching your maintainance and just because you are such an inspiration. Please friend me if you like my story!
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    I hope that by Feb - Mar next year I will have achieved what you have. Reading your story has just given me that extra bit of motivation to continue. I will be 52 in May next year and in the last 10 years I have yo yoed dieted from one stuff and starve diet to another, and yes I have lost weight and then put it back on just as quick.

Like you I have been weight training and using different forms of exercise (not at the same level or with the same dedication as you) until xmas when my hubby decided to ask one of the Personal Trainers at our gym if he would train me. Since then I have had 3 sessions a week with him and I have lost a total of 44lb, one pound a week almost consistently! I joined mfp a few months back and found the tool I needed to finally realise that my portion sizes were way more than I needed. I feel very much stronger and fitter in myself, also much happier.

You look fantastic and have a very feminine shape. So proud of you for showing it can be done even when you are 50+. I am 5'8" and my goal weight is around 150lb. I was 210lb at xmas and 166lb now. I am really pleased with what I have achieved even though at the start I was disappointed about not losing weight quicker!! I now realise that I will be able to maintain my weight loss a lot easier now because I understand the nutritional side as well as the work out side of keeping fit and healthy a lot better than I ever have before.

I am sure you have many friends and probably do not need any more but I would really love to be a friend to continue watching your maintainance and just because you are such an inspiration. Please friend me if you like my story!

Don't give up Janie. Glad we are friends now on MFP. -Bobbie
  • Rolly187
    Rolly187 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    wow in some pics i thought you were in your 30's definately not 52, good on you :)
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, however, you appear with a manly build. I prefer a lighter lift myself. I may have fat, but I appreciate my feminine traits ;-)
  • lamoursuffit
    lamoursuffit Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Holy Thigh Muscles, batman! You could put someone in a headlock with those gams! Yowza! I wanna look that good at your age!!!
  • lexusgirl1
    Options
    Stunning! U look so much younger than your age.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    :smile: YOU LOOK FABULOUS! Keep up the good work!
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    You look amazing, however, you appear with a manly build. I prefer a lighter lift myself. I may have fat, but I appreciate my feminine traits ;-)

If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulking and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories.
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    Options
    Please life let me look that good at 52...

Ditto!
  • kbrandl123
    kbrandl123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Truly Inspirational!! Thank you for sharing!