Kiwifruit- How to eat one raw?

Options
When I was little, I was taught to eat only the inside greenish part of the kiwifruit. My mom would cut it in half and I would use a spoon to scoop out the green. Sometimes I'd peel off the skin with a peeler and cut it up. BUT, I was thinking, isn't there more nutrition in the skin? Some people say it's OK to eat the skin, others say it's dangerous or just plain disgusting. My question is, when I track kiwifruit in grams, is it with skin or without skin? I never know!

Thanks in advance for any info!

Replies

• oOMusicBabii
    Options
    My mom would cut it in half and I would use a spoon to scoop out the green.
    That's how I eat mine...the hairy skin freaks me out (same reason I don't eat peach skins).
  • Eerinelizz
    Eerinelizz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten the skin....too fuzzy for me! I would assume you would track the weight/ calories of the fruit after it's peeled, just like you would with a pineapple. I don't think kiwi skin could possibly weigh very much though, so I wouldn't stress about it too much!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    All the recomendations I've ever seen on eating kiwi says to peel it.
  • ReyneDrop
    ReyneDrop Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten the skin....too fuzzy for me! I would assume you would track the weight/ calories of the fruit after it's peeled, just like you would with a pineapple. I don't think kiwi skin could possibly weigh very much though, so I wouldn't stress about it too much!

I'm not so worried about the calorie differential as I am about the micronutrients. I know the skin of many fruits are the most nutrient-dense part, but I can't seem to find any reference comparing skin on vs skin off. If I get even 100mg more potassium, I want to know! lol
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I eat mine with the skin. I believe that's where most of the nutrients are anyway. Besides, I enjoy the sour & sweet taste of the skin and insides together. As for calories, there's entries in the database that account for peeled or when eaten with skin.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    no, you do not eat the skin of the Kiwi Fruit...only the outside...
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    we peal it then slice it to eat it :P
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i peel it, slice it ,drizzle some honey over it and enjoy!!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I shave off the fur and eat that. Who on earth would eat the fleshy, sweet insides?? You'd end up growing gooey internals instead of the lovely, soft fluff I have inside me.
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    /Found this for you

Kiwi fruit skin is definitely edible, and there's a lot of different theories about eating it.

Kiwi fruit skin contains high levels of flavonoids, insoluble fiber and antioxidants: these substances all have a beneficial effect on your body's metabolic functions (flavonoids and antioxidants) and on your digestive system and cardiovascular apparatus (insoluble fiber).

Common sense, however, should be practiced in this respect: while raw kiwi fruit skin contains these beneficial substances, it also tends to contain more than 99,95% of of the pesticides in that particular fruit (if they have been used), which largely outweighs the benefits from flavonoids and antioxidants.
  • ReyneDrop
    ReyneDrop Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I shave off the fur and eat that. Who on earth would eat the fleshy, sweet insides?? You'd end up growing gooey internals instead of the lovely, soft fluff I have inside me.

That made me lol so hard :P
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    My mum was the one that taught me to cut it in half and eat it with a spoon. I either do that or if it's for a fruit salad, I use a potato peeler and then chop the flesh into slices. Yum.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I peel it and slice it. No skin.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Peeling is a hassle for me. I tried it recently and thought it took too much time.

If I peel to get rid of the skin, it is faster just to cut it in half and scoop out the middle like mentioned above.

The skin is edible, and sour, like mentioned, but it does have a texture like chewy fur or the like. Not something everyone can handle. Try it and see if you like it!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

That made me lol so hard :P

:D
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I peel mine. I imagine it would be like eating a hairy caterpillar if I ate it with the skin.
  • tonightokayalright
    Options
    I prefer them peeled, but eating the skin is fine. My dad bites into them like an apple.