What do you choose at those chain restaurants?!

Options
While most eating situations are avoidable in some form or fashion, sometimes when a friend invites you out to eat, you just want to go. Living in a place that is heavy on the chain restaurants a la Chilis, Olive Garden, and Cheddar's and light on the cafes and health friendly establishments, I was just wondering if y'all had any go-to meals for these chain restaurants or loop holes you've found in the caloric black hole that is America's dining out experience.

As a sidenote, if I know I am going out, I try to find what I'm going to order using MFP. I also have the app, so if it's a spontaneous decision to go out, I still try to look things up, but I am just curious of what y'all have found out for curiosity's sake.

Hope you're having a lovely weekend!!

Replies

• SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Ruby Tuesdays has a lot of great choices that are low on calories (and sodium!). If it's my choice I try to go there and plan out my meal ahead of time.
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    erikaaaaaaaa Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Ruby Tuesdays has a lot of great choices that are low on calories (and sodium!). If it's my choice I try to go there and plan out my meal ahead of time.

I wish we had a Ruby Tuesday here-- I think the closest one is an hour and a half away. :( I always loved their salad bar. Dangerous thing, that is!
  • patkterry
    Options
    I go out to eat alot- more than I should. Chili's has a new menu that's lighter. Olive Garden- ask for light dressing on salad, or minestrone, no bread sticks- choose chicken, red sauce etc.. watch your pasta- high calories!!!- do they still have mixed grill??

Most restaurants have a grilled chicken salad, or seafood option. choose a light dressing.. your golden!!!

Soup is filling and is usually lighter on calories- but it has alot of sodium.

Good luck
  • toledochic
    toledochic Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Chili's has a light menu. I get the 6 oz. sirloin with steamed broccoli.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    While most eating situations are avoidable in some form or fashion, sometimes when a friend invites you out to eat, you just want to go. Living in a place that is heavy on the chain restaurants a la Chilis, Olive Garden, and Cheddar's and light on the cafes and health friendly establishments, I was just wondering if y'all had any go-to meals for these chain restaurants or loop holes you've found in the caloric black hole that is America's dining out experience.

As a sidenote, if I know I am going out, I try to find what I'm going to order using MFP. I also have the app, so if it's a spontaneous decision to go out, I still try to look things up, but I am just curious of what y'all have found out for curiosity's sake.

Hope you're having a lovely weekend!!

Nothing. I don't go to them and didn't even before MFP. The food is tasteless and salt laden.
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    At Chili's I eat the lighter choice sirloin with Black Beans. 300 calories for the meal :-)

As for salads, I say unless they offer their calories online, even with grilled chicken salads be careful, as restaurants like to sneak in hidden calories.

Olive Garden is a rough one for me, I just stay away! lol

Cheddar;s - lemon pepper chicken with green beans, and I take half home.

Applebee's has a light sirloin as well, but I forgot what its called.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    all the chain restaurants I go to have at least a handful of healthy options, so I usually choose fajitas, veggies burgers, salads, stirfry, etc.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden.

Get a salad. Dressing on the side. Meat to the side (if, for example, you get the grilled chicken Ceaser salad). No croutons. Take the meat home for lunch, or dinner, the next day. Use half the dressing and not all of it. Eat no bread sticks.

That's pretty much for anything honestly. Most places have (Chicken) Ceaser salad. Or any salad and you can follow the above rules for it.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    i just work out extra so i dont have to worry and also try to pre-log different options to keep from going overboard
  • sionnain
    Options
    i use veganeatingout.com to make all my choices. :D
  • jbloomfj
    jbloomfj Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Most of our chain restaurants such as Kelseys have a half dozen or so low cal meals from under 500 to 700 cal.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Sadly, there isn't TOO much good choices. Yeah, a lot of places offer lower calories. But, in return, you get higher fat or increased sodium to compensate and that is not much better. I just have to take my MFP mobile app with me everywhere and try to pick what is best based on macros.
  • StillChangingAmie
    Options
    I don't go out to eat much, but my family loves fast food. If I absolutely have to, I'll get a grilled chicken snack wrap from Wendy's with honey mustard. It's really good, and about 250 calories.
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have NO problem asking for the waitresses opinion on the subject and have been given some really good tips, like avoid the grilled chicken at rib crib, it's covered in honey and something else (I forget now) that jacks the calories up. If the waitress doesn't know, I ask if they have a calorie count menu, some do, some don't. If not I can google any info I need in just a few moments. If there is nothing there that is low cal, I ask for a to go box with my meal, cut the meal in half, before I even start eating. Avoid bread and appetizers at all costs.
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback! This is great! I will try to carry all this with me the next time I go out!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    chili's i've been trying their different salads. applebee's has the under 550.

If I can choose the place or know ahead of time, i try to plan it out. If not, I either choose the healthiest thing or just have one bad meal. it's not the end of the world.
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    Options
    i use veganeatingout.com to make all my choices. :D

I'd never heard of that before. Very cool... definitely going to use this from now on.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I just go and order something I like with a salad. I know this is weird, but I bring my own a.c. vinegar with me to use on the salad, eat only half the entree and bring the rest home for lunch the next day. I can usually even squeeze in a "light" dessert and remain within my caloric limits.
    Everyone needs a treat though. We can't be perfect all the time.
  • mijmades
    Options
    BLT OR STRAWBERRY SALAD. NEVER EAT AT OLIVE GARDEN. GAIN 2lbs. Walking through the door.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    applebees has a lot of light selections.. dishes 550 calories and under!!! had one last nt was fabulous
    and 450 cals.. and a steak!! :tongue: