Afraid of Cancer???

Options
Do any of you guys ever get scared that you might develop some disease
or cancer or have a heart attack/stroke because of your weight or overall health? Even if you haven't
been diagnosed with anything? (aside from stuff like high Cholesterol, blood
pressure, etc..) Being bombarded with Pharmaceutical ads these days drives me to think
I could die at any moment!!!

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I am scared of diabetes. I'm not scared because of commercials though. It's my family history that's got me worried.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    IF (intermittent fasting) is proving to be a great tool in aiding in the prevetion of these kinds of diseases. I find it fascinating.
  • micheleg39
    Options
    I come from hydrochonriac mother (but she is sick too) and a disabled father

I have a spinal injury which restricts my fitness - When I first developed my injury I did think I have a spinal tumour

I do worry about cancer and illness because of my upbringing but i don't over worry

I think it is natural to worry about our health in this day and age as we are always being told not to eat certain things, not to drink certain things, else we will get ill and die

We all know how to be healthy though don't we!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    Options
    The end condition of life is death. I try not to dwell on 'what ifs' - too much family history of poor outcomes and early deaths. All I can do is work on being healthy and taking care of myself right now. I have a couple of specific medical conditions that are very relevant to me due to family history, I know the symptoms and I am aware of them but don't spend a lot of time thinking about them. It's always good to be aware of what it going on with your body though - annual physicals and bloodwork, etc - but don't let Big Pharma get in your head too much.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    or cancer or have a heart attack/stroke because of your weight or overall health? Even if you haven't
    pressure, etc..) Being bombarded with Pharmaceutical ads these days drives me to think

I'm sorry you're having these fears :(

I tend to focus on what's within my control. I could get hit by a bus while crossing the road tomorrow which would make all hours of being afraid about cancer or heart disease such wasted time.
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I try not to worry about what 'may' happen. You'll live a happier life that way :-D

I'm 28 years old and just found out I have arthritis, which is why my work outs hurt so much. But I'll just deal with it and move on :-D
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options

I have a general irrational fear of death. My fear is that I will either die too early or that I will die painfully. My father in law died 4 moths ago of cancer at a very young age it worries me that my partner will follow the same path. I think for people to worry about this is normal as it is spoken about more and so you hear about it more. I also worry about getting old and do not like the fact that my mum is in her late 40s
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I try not to worry about what 'may' happen. You'll live a happier life that way :-D

I'm 28 years old and just found out I have arthritis, which is why my work outs hurt so much. But I'll just deal with it and move on :-D

I found out last year (at 22) that I have arthritis. I'm with you on the pain of working out. 1 workout can leave me in pain for days so now I try to swim more. Very good for my joints
  • facingfortyfierce
    facingfortyfierce Posts: 5,156 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to worry about what might happen! I have had melanoma cancer, I have survived for 4 years years now. I watched my Dad get taken from the same thing in that same time frame. If you live your life fearing death, you are not really living. I do know cancer is a *****, no matter what kind! Live life to the fullest, because you only have one ;)
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm not necessarily afraid of any of these diseases...but I know I have a very good chance of getting one of several diseases (heart disease, cancer, diabetes). I guess I've already accepted that I probably will have one..and I hope for diabetes to be completely honest - that is the one which can lead to the most "normal" life...but with 4 generations of women dying from breast cancer in my family...well...I have already decided that if/when I am diagnosed, I will basically opt for the most aggressive treatment available. Getting fit will simply reduce this risk by miniscule amounts (for my family history), and make it easier to recover from any necessary surgery.