Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years

Options
Since I been on this diet since 2006 I noticed tha the holidays is a lot of people's weak time. What tempts you the most at the Holiday Time? For Halloween it is The Candy Pumkins and Candy Corn. For Thanksgiving it is everything. For Christmas it is Choclate Covered Cherries and Egg Nogg. For New Years (my Birthday to me) it is Sparkling Juices, Birthday Cake, and Ice Cream and not to meantion going out to eat.
My for the Holiday season is dark Choclate, candy in moderation, food exchanges, fat free or low fat egg nogg with skim milk. My brithday aka New Years good luck. More gym time.

Replies

• GardaniaM
    GardaniaM Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would have to go with pumpkin pie and cookies as my holiday weekness. I will need to find some low fat recipes asap.
  • dodgersprincess
    Options
    Tyng the searching the internet. I am sure there is Low fat or fat free cookie recipies out there.
  • Shawneb66
    Options
    Nothing for Halloween, Thanksgiving=dumplings!! and Christmas=Fudge and EggNog Croissant french toast!! It's a tradition!!
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    We don't have Halloween or Thanksgiving here :sad: but WOW do we overdo Christmas & birthdays.

Christmas is just a parade of food. I've made my peace with gaining 5lbs on Christmas. For birthdays everyone in the office brings in cakes, pies, sandwich fixings, cookies, tarts, etc. And you're taken out for dinner. My birthday is in 2 weeks & I'm being strict up til then so I can go with the flow on the day.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    stuffing and homemade mashed potatoes and gravy

BTW - Candy Corn IS a vegatable - lol
  • spottedlee
    Options
    BTW - Candy Corn IS a vegatable - lol
    oh really??
    laughing.gif
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Halloween: ALL THE CANDY. ALL OF IT. Doesn't matter. Even candy corn, and I hate the stuff.
    Thanksgiving: pumpkin pie of course. Sweet potato casserole. And dinner rolls, I could eat the whole tin of those.
    Christmas: my Granddad used to make these (veggie) sausage balls for me and I would eat the entire bowl of them by Christmas morning. Apple cider, chex mix, Christmas cookies, the list goes on and on.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    In the UK so Halloween is nothing really and we don't have Thanksgiving. For me at Christmas it's mince pies, Christmas pudding and Christmas cake that are the biggest problem, I can get low cal pate and cheese but not really the other stuff.

New Year doesn't interest me and I'm not much of a drinker so it's not an issue.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    We don't really do Halloween here in the Uk, not in a big way anyhow, and we don't have Thanksgiving, but Christmas is the worst time for me and I already dread it, as my self control flies out the window in the face of glittery lights, Christmas dinner and lots of chocolate, cake, biscuits and nuts floating around. I spend it at my mother's so it isn't as if I can just avoid having the stuff around me, lol. I guess I shall just have to accept a temporary gain, maybe hop along to the gym along the road from her for a few sessions and hope for the best.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Let's see...what is that thing called around these times that is my weakness. Oh! that's it! EVERYTHING!!! :sad:
  • tonightokayalright
    Options
    My mom's stuffing. Like, I could eat the whole bowl full. In recent years we've actually requested she make a second batch of it not baked in the turkey. Everyone loves it, and it's just like... get in my mouth right now. We actually fight over it when we dole out the leftovers, if there happen to be any leftover stuffing.

At Christmas time it's pizelles and gingerbread men and swedish almond cookies and homemade nuts and bolts and butter tarts.

Oh man, the holidays are such a terrible time.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a candy person anymore. My appeal for it disappeared when I started controling my emotional eating and started to really taste things. Now and then I like some M&Ms or Hershey Drops. Thanksgiving, pretty much everything. I LOVE stuffing, regular and the chinese version my grandma made up. I also love pumpkin pie with whipped cream (I make a delicious one and should probably figure out how to make it healthier). Christmas... I'm not quite sure. I guess the buffet place we went last year, which sounded like it may become the new christmas tradition...
  • dasaucywench
    dasaucywench Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Seems like every year, I take a two and half month hiatus from reasonable eating and become a crazy, sweet obsessed person. It begins with Halloween and those darned pumpkins!! Then I raid the kids' candy bags for the next couple of weeks until it is down to suckers and sweet tarts(YUCK). By that time, Thanksgiving is around the corner. The mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole and rolls get me every time! And then from Thanksgiving to New Years, it is one continuous eating fest full of the best but worst foods for you. But not this year!! I am determined that I will not be derailed by all the eating potential around me!!
  • Donnaovercomer
    Donnaovercomer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    for the 2nd year in a row I will spend Thanksgiving doing a Turkey trot (5K) then eat lunch/dinner with my family. Don't really eat a Christmas dinner. New Year's it is usually dinner and a movie with my family.
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Halloween: reese's cups, chocolate anything
    Thanksgiving: everything
    Christmas: egg nog, cookies/desserts, misc party foods
    New Year's: desserts, misc party foods

Don't know what I'm going to do to combat these temptations yet, other than eating in moderation & up the exercise I guess.
  • dmagoo24
    dmagoo24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This time of year for me, Pumpkin anything, from pumpkin pies to pumpkin coffee creamer. Candy corn is pretty awesome also.

As for Christmas, My parents and my in-laws always have around Christmas time just bowls of candy sitting around, and I end up eating it without even noticing... that is definitely the worst!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Nothing for Halloween, Thanksgiving=dumplings!! and Christmas=Fudge and EggNog Croissant french toast!! It's a tradition!!

See you in December! :drinker:
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    halloween - its only pumpkin soup i get excited about :D
    thanksgiving - im british :D
    Christmas - Stuffing! i love stuffing and my gran makes 4 kinds!! and pigs in blankets.. and rum truffles, baileys truffles, chocolate truffles... i make those for gifts though so i dont get many :D
    New year - Cider!
  • lalalyn12
    lalalyn12 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't celebrate Halloween, but my son still brings home candy from school...and I love candy...Thanksgiving is the sweet potato pie, Christmas is the cookies and cakes...New years don't have a problem really..
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Angel Food Cake served with Cool Whip lite

One box angel food cake mix(do not use box instructions)
    One 15 ounce can ready mix pumpkin(already has some spices in)
    One cup water
    One tsp pumpkin pie spice

Mix together well & pour in 9x13 ungreased baking pan.
    Bake @ 350 for 30 minutes

Serves 12- 150 cal per serving or 3 WW pts.