Just starting my journey, could do with some friends

Options
Hi everyone. I'm a 28 year old dad of 2 boys (6 weeks and 2 years). I have a lovely wife and enjoy my life. The issue is I haven't been active for a long time now and I grew comfortable rather than challenging my weight. I'm now 270lbs with a BMI of 40% ANC I want to do something about it so i live to see my kids grow up and I can enjoy being active with them!

My first victory towards my overall goal was when I quit smoking 2 years ago. I've since drastically reduced my alcohol intake to about 2 units a week. I joined the gym and have been goin. 3 times a week minimum (cardio only for now) and I have a full length sand filled punchbag in the garage with a skipping rope. It's time to shift some weight!

Currently 19st 6oz
First goal 16st
Ideal weight 14st 6oz

Please add me for mutual support.

Best of luck to everyone on this difficult journey. Let's just think of the end goal!

Replies

• Squints80
    Options
    Feel free to add me!! Also a father of 2!!
    You can do it!
    The key is persistence!!
  • chrisspire
    Options
    Hi, my name is Christine from Southwest Ranches, Florida (about 30 mins east of Ft. Lauderdale). Today is my 77th day of logging in which translates to 77 days of unbelievable physical & mental satisfaction with my weight loss. This an amazing program which requires 100% commitment. You must track everything you put in your mouth, and no cheating !!!! My best advice is to track immediately after each meal or snack... not an hour later, not 2 hrs later, immediately!!! And not in front of the TV or any other distraction. Save 5 or 10 mins. to be by yourself to accurately track. DO NOT BE IMPATIENT !! You will become addicted to tracking, but it's a wonderful addiction. We need to set a good example to the rest of the world that there is no such thing as a diet,it is called a "lifestyle change". Enjoy the ride. Plz share your stories with me. Tx. :-)
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :-)
  • steve_crowther
    steve_crowther Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Add me if you want. I started at your weight and I am now down to 16st 9oz Two stones of this has been done purely with the help of MFP and my fitbit.

Steve
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I've added everyone so far, thanks for your support all :)
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    anyone here can add me.....makes things alot easier with others motivating you and helping others.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    request sent :)
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting on here and taking charge of your health! : )
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Anyone can add me as well - having people here to encourage is what is helping me!
  • rebelq
    rebelq Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Christine from Southwest Ranches, Florida (about 30 mins east of Ft. Lauderdale). Today is my 77th day of logging in which translates to 77 days of unbelievable physical & mental satisfaction with my weight loss. This an amazing program which requires 100% commitment. You must track everything you put in your mouth, and no cheating !!!! My best advice is to track immediately after each meal or snack... not an hour later, not 2 hrs later, immediately!!! And not in front of the TV or any other distraction. Save 5 or 10 mins. to be by yourself to accurately track. DO NOT BE IMPATIENT !! You will become addicted to tracking, but it's a wonderful addiction. We need to set a good example to the rest of the world that there is no such thing as a diet,it is called a "lifestyle change". Enjoy the ride. Plz share your stories with me. Tx. :-)
  • myjourrneytoabs
    myjourrneytoabs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    anyone feel free to add me even tho my goal is to lose like 10 more pounds i am currently around 137 pounds i have little belly fat but trying to be pure lean muscle :)
  • rebelq
    rebelq Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Wow- 77 days! I am somewhere around 44, and I think you really put it well, several things you said. Its a lifestyle change, put in everything, and as soon as possible!! Great advice!
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I'm nearing the end of the weight loss and moving towards the maintenance side of things. I have grown accustomed to tracking and exercising that I'm going to need some encouragement as well.

I've had great success at MFP and I hope you do too. You are setting a great example for your little ones! I know ours are pretty amazed at our success at losing the extra weight we've carried!

Feel free to add me! I'm all about encouragement!
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    PLEASE remember that the end GOAL is maintaining HEALTH and not the number on the scale. My dad has lost 160 pounds THREE separate times in his life. He always says the problem isn't getting it off...it's keeping it off. For me...getting it off isn't terribly easy, either, but I'm working to do it one habit at a time SLOWLY (the way it came on) and hope that I won't have the skin issues that so many seem to have when the weight melts right away. BUT, I will be losing over 100 pounds, so I expect some saggy skin...

Best wishes to ALL on your journey!

Edited to add: Everyone feel free to add me. I've been on over 200 days. I am in this for life. I actually try to log BEFORE I eat something...rather like knowing the price before getting to the register. This is a lifestyle choice and I am a lifelong member. One habit at a time. (because I would totally give up if I did an "overhaul")
  • bufger
    Options
    Thanks for adding me everyone I've added you all so far. My first weigh in tomorrow so let's do it!
  • daverigg
    Options
    wrong place to add about me. sorry.
  • bufger
    Options
    I've had loads of friend requests through this so a big thank you to everybody willing to add a stranger and share in the positive attitude and motivation. This really is a friendly site helpful for body and mind!
  • sazsmo
    Options
    Added! Good luck!