Really tired after I eat?

Options
Hi all, I was just wondering: do any of you get tired or sleepy after you eat? I would think that after eating one should feel more energized than before, but I usually want to have a nap around 45 minutes after I finish a meal. Any thoughts?

Edit: I can't spell...

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Difficult to tell if you don`t say what you eat before you feel sleepy?

If you eat a heavy carb meal/sugar then you would feel sleepy.

Do you feel sleepy after every meal, then if so look at what you are eating
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    After a large meal our main blood supply is redirected to our gut to help give it energy to digest the food. Which is why we get "like a baby after a bottle". I've found that since cutting my portions down and increasing the portion of fruit and veg I eat instead of stodgy food I have a lot more energy. Hope it helps.
  • Keltinator
    Options
    Thanks, that makes sense! I don't eat extremely high carb meals (carbs as in bread, I do eat a lot of fruit). Like for instance for breakfast I have cantaloupe, yogurt, a small homemade granola bar with raisins in it, and some milk. To me this is a decent breakfast, but I still feel really tired after. But the thing about blood supply makes sense.
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Yes I get sleepy after a large meal, especially if it's a high carb one.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I found that with me, if I ate more protein and fats, I am okay....too many carbs especially from grain based foods like oatmeal, bread, pasta, etc. I'd be ready to nap!:wink:
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    In Hawai'i, we call this "Hawaiian Paralysis". But when we came to the mainland, we learned that it was actually called Diabetes lol

I'm sure that's not the case for everyone, but yes... my entire family suffers from this. No matter what I eat, if it's clean, nutrient dense foods or high carb/ fatty foods, it don't matter... I'm tired as hell and ready to sleep. :(
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Balance it out by adding some protein which helps to level out your blood sugars. Instead of a sugar high followed by the crash (the sleepy feeling) you should get more even energy levels. Good luck!
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am gluten intolerant, and if I eat gluten I get really tired.