want to add more veggies

never been a big veggie lover. corn, lettuce, green beans, most kind of beans, POTATOS (yum), yams. nothing complex. i want to add more but they just taste like eating grass from my yard lol. any hints how to add some with out taste. don't want to smother them in dressing or cheese...well..i would but wont do me any good lol. thanks in advance.

Replies

• I have always liked Asparagus. Grilling it is pretty good. Add a bit of garlic and it is amazing.
  • will pick some up. thanks for the tip.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Steam them. Hated veg until I got a steamer, tastes 100x better than boiled
  • I like sauteed mix of mushrooms, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, green beans and spinach. Use some PAM and cook it for just a little bit so it's still crispy and bright color. I make large batches and then just add different sauces; but most of the time it's just salt, pepper and Cholula sauce!
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    erikaaaaaaaa Posts: 155 Member
    Zucchini! There are so many great low cal recipes for using zucchini as a substitute for pastas, meat, etc and you don't really taste the veggie in it, but you know it's in there. I'd give it a search-- skinnytaste.com has some pretty great zucc recipes. Good luck!
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Add garlic powder or minced garlic, or onion, thyme, basil , oregano, pepper etc.Any seasoning as long as its not salt. I sauteed onions in a non-stick pan with PAM and they browned and were so sweet just by themselves. I have learned to like all veggies even plain. It takes a little while to get used to the taste of the real food.Give it time. I used to be a butter and salt smotherer. lol.
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Zucchini! There are so many great low cal recipes for using zucchini as a substitute for pastas, meat, etc and you don't really taste the veggie in it, but you know it's in there. I'd give it a search-- skinnytaste.com has some pretty great zucc recipes. Good luck!

I agree. I've had some pretty amazing zucchini lasagna in my lifetime :)
  • Green smoothies! For example, I mix strawberries, spinach, celery and have a decent tasting green smoothie for breakfast. More fruit.... of course nicer taste. Celery and orange go great together! if you want some added sweetness, you can add stevia.

I add hemp seeds sometimes to add protein.

It has helped me a lot to get more veggies = fiber in. There are so many variations, google it!
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    SPICES! Cumin, mustard seeds, turmeric, ground coriander...

Or Italian style - pine nuts, lemons, raisins, chillil...

Or roast them with olive oil and thyme.

You can find 1001 recipes online.

Try this recipe for ratatouille http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10382/easy-ratatouille-with-poached-eggs
  • AGreen54
    AGreen54 Posts: 100 Member
    I like roasting asparagus, zucchini, and brussle sprouts with olive oil and a little bit of salt on it. Tastes sooo good :)
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    I take zuchini - slice it up - put it on a lg sheet of aluminum foil - add onion and garlic - wrap it up and bake at 350. When it is done take 1 wedge of laughing cow light swiss cheese and mix with zuchini. if you are in a hurry you can also cook it in the microwave for a couple minutes but the flavor is better if baked.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Steam them. Hated veg until I got a steamer, tastes 100x better than boiled

Not to mention that they are more nourishing steamed. When you boil them, you not only get rid of flavor but you pour nutrients down the drain with the cooking water. :cry:

I like to try to add veggies to every meal. I will saute a half an organic onion and add a cup of organic spinach to the pan before I add my organic eggs in the morning---mmmm-mmmm! At lunch, I will have a half-cup of organic grape or cherry tomatoes with just salt or salad dressing---sometimes I add organic cucumber slices along with my usual 2 oz. of organic cheddar cheese. I always keep organic midget carrots in the frig---ready for a quick snack. At dinner, I will have either a salad or a cooked vegetable---sometimes both.

The key to adding vegetables (and fruits) to your diet is to get the very best quality (organic if you can or grow them yourself) vegetables and fruits you can find. It may cost a little more, but you will find that the flavor and the nourishment level is so much better that you are satisfied with less (don't believe the trash research sponsored by big agriculture that says the nourishment levels are similar). Also, you will waste less of them as they will get eaten rather than sit in the frig until they are rotten---and as you skip all the non-nourishing junk food, you will find that your food bill stays the same or sometimes even goes down.

The web is replete with recipes on cooking vegetables with lots of spices (and spices are especially good for you, ounce for ounce). In the fall, my favorite way to cook root vegetables is to slow roast them at a low oven temperature, brushed with extra virgin olive oil, and sprinkled with sea salt--and don't forget the garlic. I don't peel the cloves of garlic as they will often burn in the oven (they turn bitter if burnt). When you pull them out of the pan, you can just squeeze them into your mouth or onto a piece of crusty bread spread with extra virgin olive oil. One of my friends taught me to roast vegetables in this way and she says everyone in her family likes to pig out on the garlic so she always includes many cloves. :laugh:
  • Ewaldt
    Ewaldt Posts: 106 Member
    I think the key really is to cook them, and then use a delicious spice or a healthy sauce (usually best if you make it yourself). Personally, I love to cut up carrots, zucchini, peppers, onion, and really whatever else you want, then fry them in a pan (with a small bit of olive oil) and then I just throw some ground black pepper on top. I think it is DELICIOUS because they all taste better cooked. A fruit smoothie laced with vegetables is always good too. I do that for any vegetables that I really don't like, but know that I should eat!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    I like roasting asparagus, zucchini, and brussle sprouts with olive oil and a little bit of salt on it. Tastes sooo good :)

This is just a start!

Take any veggie - chunk it - toss in zip lock with garlic, olive oil and your herb of choice - what ever is fresh or what ever you have - rosemary, thyme, sage, italian blend, montreal steak seasoning, bbq rubs - whatever you have - then loss on a foil covered sheet pan and roast until caramelized - you can store it in the foil and toss when your done - simple cleanup!

You can use potatoes, onions, sweet potatoes, peppers, eggplant, zucchini, butternut squash, pumpkin, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus,beets, turnips, carrots, parsnips

You name it it tastes better roasted!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    I think the key really is to cook them, and then use a delicious spice or a healthy sauce (usually best if you make it yourself). Personally, I love to cut up carrots, zucchini, peppers, onion, and really whatever else you want, then fry them in a pan (with a small bit of olive oil) and then I just throw some ground black pepper on top. I think it is DELICIOUS because they all taste better cooked. A fruit smoothie laced with vegetables is always good too. I do that for any vegetables that I really don't like, but know that I should eat!

Yes, my daughter likes to add baby spinach leaves to her fruit smoothies. She says that you don't even taste them but the green coloration might put some people off a bit. :laugh:
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Most veggies taste good sauteed in olive oil or coconut oil - this is what I do for things like brussel sprouts, asparagus.

broccoli, carrots, snap peas, and edamame are great steamed (just make sure they are still crisp).
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Roasted carrots.
    We cook them in our small convection oven. Spread a small bit of olive oil on foil, roll the carrots around on the foil so they pick up a small amount of the oil and sprinkle with cumin.

Bake in the oven until fork soft.

SO tasty!

For tonights dinner I just had a huge helping of grilled zucchini cooked in the same small oven. Sprinkled with seasonings and a small bit of sesame oil. Good stuff.

I loved baked sweet potatoes with a small amount of garlic sauce on them.
  • smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    I completely agree with everyone who suggested roasting vegetables. Also, soup! Soup's a great way of increasing your veggie consumption.