Is it bad if you..

skip a day of working out? I had no time to go today and now I'm stressing out lol also, how do you feel about oatmeal? I eat quaker oats weight control maple and brown sugar =D do you think its a good snack? just curious! thanks!

Replies

• Gosh no!! Carry on tomorrow! Life happens!!
    As for oatmeal it's fine... Just watch for the ones with high sugar content!
    Good job and good luck on your journey!!
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 423 Member
    Your body needs to rest. A day off is fine.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    As already said, your body needs rest days. Rest and recuperation are necessary parts of a good training program. That's why if you train every day, you alternate muscle groups so you never work the same muscles really hard many days in a row.

Life is variable, you have to be flexible and adaptable so that one bad day at the dinner table or one missed workout does not derail you. Pick things up tomorrow and carry on.
  • Oh, of course not! In fact, most people don't work out 7 days a week; your body needs rest as much as it needs exercise. A day or two of rest is good for you. Just carry on tomorrow! (:
  • Rest days are good for you and a necessary part of being active. I know I struggled with the idea when I first started becoming more active, but really I ended up biting off more than I could chew lol.

For myself, I've had to think about this in terms of sustainable behaviour change over time. If I try to go out and work really, really hard and not balance it out with my other commitments I'm going to end up skipping workouts all the time and feeling guilty about it.
    I had to sit down and think: -

What are my priority fitness goals? Sure I want to lose weight, but what are my fitness goals - short and long term?

What activities do I enjoy - for me it's running that I love most, so I make it a priority. And walking the dogs - that's a priority in itself.

What activities did I do before I decided to become active - for me it was walking the dogs and incidental exercise. I've always parked further away, taken stairs, walked when practical etc

What can I increase without putting too much pressure on myself? - for me I have to organise exercise around work, uni studies, ensuring the dogs' needs are met, social outings and just relaxing. In the past I have decided to go all superhuman on myself and I always fall short and always disappoint. So I start lower, build up and focus on the things I enjoy (running, dogs) and sometimes they are enough of a motivation to do the stuff that isn't so fun for me (strength, swimming etc). I'm never going to be someone who works out intensely 6-7 days a week, but I can workout 4 - 5 days per week, plus some more relaxed walking and just generally being a more active person and I'm quite happy. Know your current limits and be realistic.

If life gets in the way, what is my plan? - for me uni can be stressful especially mid and end of semester. For those days, if I am very snowed under I will not exercise. The dogs get walked and that's about it. That is life, I refuse to stress and I get straight back into it when I can. I've become better at fitting the odd fun run in at these times, but you won't catch me doing less enjoyable activities when my mind is firmly planted elsewhere. Sometimes just getting out of the house with the dogs is enough to ease off stress levels anyway.

Rest days for me are important as is being realistic about my exercise routine.
  • WVMedicineMom
    WVMedicineMom Posts: 15 Member
    Don't be hard on yourself. We all miss workout days, and I know I have bad days as far as clean eating. Like previously mentioned, you pick up where you left off the next day. My workout schedule is never the same from week to week because my work schedule is always different. I work 12 hour shifts, between 2-4 days in a row, so unless I get up at the crack of dawn and workout, I don't get in a workout that day. I just make it up during the rest of the week.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    I only workout for 45 min, 3 times a week, 4 rest days suits me nicely. Diet is far more important than beating yourself up in the gym.
  • CDG1013
    CDG1013 Posts: 106 Member
    Missing a day of working out is ok. Like many others have said, your body needs rest to recover and repair/build muscle. I personally work out 4 or 5 days per week. Wednesdays and Saturdays are my days off. I try to get a long run in on Sunday mornings if I can manage to get out the door before the kids get up. I just have to be extra careful on those days to stay within calorie limits.
  • GabyG69
    GabyG69 Posts: 213
    Of course not! I always take 1-2 days rest a week! :)
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    My trainer yells at me if I DON'T take a break. (I get yelled at a lot... haha). So yes, take a break, rest the body. I just gave to watch my cal count those days.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Rest days are good for you sometimes!

I like oatmeal, but I usually make just plain oats and add a dab of butter and some salt. I'm not a big fan of the sweet stuff.
  • Ewaldt
    Ewaldt Posts: 106 Member
    No, it isn't bad, your body needs to rest sometime. (or you eventually get tired and give up...been there :/ ). but to comment on your oatmeal question....I am in LOVE with oatmeal! I eat it every day for breakfast with a glass of skim milk :D I just buy the old fashioned quaker oats and add some cinnamon (and occasionally brown sugar) myself. I think it is a great way to start out the day because it gives your body fiber, and in my case with the milk it also gives me calcium, protein, and vitamins, so I am totally ready to go. Plus it isn't hard to choke down if it is super early and I don't feel like eating. And it is low calories and lasts me a long time before I get hungry again thanks to the fiber.

Oatmeal for life. :)
  • Oatmeal has fiber and it helps lower cholesterol so I say yes, it is a good snack.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    I walk 6 days a week and take it easy on Sunday's...usually.

When I feel like it I have oatmeal, anything can fit into your meal plan if you pay attention and plan your nutrition around it. I use regular old Quaker Oats and add a tablespoon of Splenda brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of raisins. Hubby had his without the raisins since he's diabetic. Maybe tomorrow I'll indulge in some blueberry pancakes while he's out of town!