How do I make up for a "quick binge"?

Options
Help, I have blown it BIG TIME today!! :mad: Had all my calorie allowance eaten by lunch time and then just kept going.Why? Just because it was there and I was alone and nobody to answer to! So, my question is, how can I make up for that? I am unable to do any real hard exercises or much walking due to major arthritis and other pain issues. It is barely all I can do to get my normal household chores done everyday. Sometimes I am able to get into the garden and cut grass on my rider but that isn't going to happen anytime soon here with the weather at the moment. I know I can just chalk this up to poor choices and vow not to do it again but I am so upset and disgusted with myself and ...well just need a kick in the you know where! Thanks for letting me vent!! Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Replies

• kimberlyaspen
    Options
    Hi! One binge-eating day won't completely kill your weight, but it might add a few pounds. If you can't get out for any hard exercise, do what you can; maybe a quick walk outside, or if the weather isn't nice, then go to a large mall and take a few laps. Just do what you can, & eat carefully the next few days!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    If you can't exercise it off then you just have to chalk it up to a bad day and do better tomorrow. I know it makes you crazy when you do things like this.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any advice but didn't want to read and run =) First of all one bad day does not a failure make, it's all about getting back up again! If exercise isn't possible perhaps you could have a few extra-skinny days next week? Unless the reason you binged is because you felt deprived. When I feel like I've had a bad day or week I might opt to make a lower calorie soup for next week's lunch (I always have homemade soup) or pick and extra lean dinner such as salmon and veggies.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    print your post and put notes of how you regret this binge and put it on your fridge and read it every time you open the door.

Live and learn.

good luck
  • EllieLou357
    EllieLou357 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It happens to all of us. Just let it go and start fresh tomorrow. If you can't walk much or do hard workouts try going to YouTube and searching for easy workouts or chair workouts. They have great ways to workout while sitting for those whom have leg pain. Don't let one day drag you down. It happens to me at least once a week!!! lol
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    It takes 3600 calories to make a pound so you certainly won't be adding even one pound to your body because of a day of binging. Don't sweat it. Just realize that MFP is a tool that tells you what and how much you are eating. Use it as a way to get back on track tomorrow. Don't try to make up for anything tomorrow, just get back on the wagon and keep going. There is nothing wrong with a cheat meal or even a cheat day now and then. I have talked to multiple 100+ pound weight loss people who say that they often had cheat meals and it did not derail them. The important thing is just to KEEP GOING. Keep improving, exercise regularly, log everything and don't sweat the small stuff! You can do it!
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    make it up over the next week... work out how many extra calories you had today and split it so your under by that many for the next week to make up for it...

or dont,

remember your bodies only goal is survival. If you tell it that the world only provides X calories a day, it will adapt to this, if you occaisonally confuse it by over eating it can help avoid plateau

just dont do it again and all will be well.
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    just move on and get back on track right away. don't restrict your calories or it may lead to a cycle of binging. one day won't kill you and it definitely won't make you gain anymore than MAYBE a pound (if it was a big binge), and if the scale says otherwise it's just water /food weight. The best advice is to forgive yourself and let it go, and keep being devoted to a healthy lifestyle. Maybe take some long walks as well. And don't worry about gaining weight like I said. I have a problem with binging and my weight stays more or less steady as long as I break the cycle and eat enough, but still have a deficit for my long term weight loss goals.
  • Sandy307
    Sandy307 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their kind support...some great ideas here. I am going to try the fridge thing and also take a look at the chair exercise idea for when I have trouble walking. The problem and reason I got into the binge today ...I have a booth at out local market and sell home baking...well you guessed it, I had leftovers today, and I hate waste...I have in the past given my leftovers away to other vendors or neighbours but today I just didn't get that far! Never mind, the market has only 2 more weeks to run and the we are closed for the winter so no more temptations.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Honey...NO ONE is perfect.
    What motivates me (I'm an emotional eater BIG time) is to keep a daily count of how many days I've gone without binging.
    I know...it sounds odd and smiley faces on your calendar like...
    It really works for me though! I've binged twice in the last two months, and when I look at it that way it helps me keep my spirits up.

Dust yourself off, and start again tomorrow. Don't hold onto the stress, I know I didn't get as big as I am from one night of binging. :)
  • weightloss12345678
    Options
    Just make a good comeback with a nice workout and good day of eating
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Help, I have blown it BIG TIME today!! :mad: Had all my calorie allowance eaten by lunch time and then just kept going.Why? Just because it was there and I was alone and nobody to answer to! So, my question is, how can I make up for that? I am unable to do any real hard exercises or much walking due to major arthritis and other pain issues. It is barely all I can do to get my normal household chores done everyday. Sometimes I am able to get into the garden and cut grass on my rider but that isn't going to happen anytime soon here with the weather at the moment. I know I can just chalk this up to poor choices and vow not to do it again but I am so upset and disgusted with myself and ...well just need a kick in the you know where! Thanks for letting me vent!! Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

It's done. It won't help you to be upset or disgusted or anything else. Enjoy the food :) Tomorrow, begin again with your healthy eating plan.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    just move on and get back on track right away. don't restrict your calories or it may lead to a cycle of binging. one day won't kill you and it definitely won't make you gain anymore than MAYBE a pound (if it was a big binge), and if the scale says otherwise it's just water /food weight. The best advice is to forgive yourself and let it go, and keep being devoted to a healthy lifestyle. Maybe take some long walks as well. And don't worry about gaining weight like I said. I have a problem with binging and my weight stays more or less steady as long as I break the cycle and eat enough, but still have a deficit for my long term weight loss goals.

I would agree with this answer. My friends with binge issues keep a journal to write their feelings. It's something other than food you are trying to fill a need for. It's pretty hard to do a deficit until you resolve these issues which really have nothing to do with food.

I don't binge, but occasionally eat more than I planned and get mad at myself for blowing my plan. The first thing is to forgive yourself and do not do anything to punish yourself. People who Intermittently Fast, this is typically not a good time to fast afterwards because it can be a form of punishment, then binge, then punishment and it's a bad cycle. For me I find it best to drink lots of water and treat myself kindly (not with food!), get to the gym or whatever your exercise of enjoyment is. Enjoy something healthy and active. Doing something active seems to be a reset for me in the forward direction.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    You forgive yourself and move on. You don't exercise excessively to burn off every calorie. You don't restrict the next day to make up for it. First ,you re-evalutate your calorie goal. Is it too low? How long have you been eating that low? Is there anything you're missing from your diet? Did you try cutting a food out or limiting a macronutrient? Then, you re-evalutate your emotions. How were you feeling before the binge? How were you feeling during the binge? Did you eat past your comfort level to stuff down any feelings of stress, anger, sadness? Did you overeat because you were happy and calories weren't on your mind?

Find yourself a balance between good nutrition, weight loss, and emotional needs. One binge is nothing to worry about as far as weight loss goes, but it can be a good indication that something is missing in your diet. If you're restricting calories or carbs or whatever it may be, your body will crave it, and it will get the nutrients it wants -- and in that case, it's through a binge. If you continue to have binges, it could be an indication of emotional distress.
  • butterfly3281
    Options
    Honey...NO ONE is perfect.
    What motivates me (I'm an emotional eater BIG time) is to keep a daily count of how many days I've gone without binging.
    I know...it sounds odd and smiley faces on your calendar like...
    It really works for me though! I've binged twice in the last two months, and when I look at it that way it helps me keep my spirits up.

Dust yourself off, and start again tomorrow. Don't hold onto the stress, I know I didn't get as big as I am from one night of binging. :)

I have to try this...great advice for an emotional eater:smile: ^^
  • topgals
    topgals Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Do more exercise than you would normally the next couple days, even if it's just going for a brisk walk & drink more water.

I have one cheat meal a week, that generally uses up double my day's calories in one sitting, so I wouldn't worry, just make sure you get straight back on the band wagon, the next meal.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their kind support...some great ideas here. I am going to try the fridge thing and also take a look at the chair exercise idea for when I have trouble walking. The problem and reason I got into the binge today ...I have a booth at out local market and sell home baking...well you guessed it, I had leftovers today, and I hate waste...I have in the past given my leftovers away to other vendors or neighbours but today I just didn't get that far! Never mind, the market has only 2 more weeks to run and the we are closed for the winter so no more temptations.

Live and learn! These type of thiings are what got me to a 35 pound loss. THen when I gained back 15, I STOPPED and went back to healthy eating.

As for exericse. I know someone that has a hard time moving and they bought this pedal thing to go on the floor in front of her. she takes small weights in her hands and does small exercises, and 'rides the bike!'

She is lifting heavier weights now and is moving more........all from getting stronger on that little pedal thing.

Good luck hon! You are in the right place physically and mentally!

Now chalk this up to experience and let it go! Tomorrow is another day to eat healthy and go to bed happy!:flowerforyou:
  • asticoral
    Options
    You don't have your diary open for us to see what happened.....but how can you have eaten 1600+ by lunch time?
    What do you have your settings at?

I've fallen face first into a bag a chips, several slices of cheese and trail mix during my days on MFP and its nothing to be proud of, but nothing to really fret over.... :wink:
  • mmoyer1978
    mmoyer1978 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just try again tomorrow. Everyone has bad days (I've had a bad MONTH). In the great words of Scarlett O'Hara - "Tomorrow is another day."
  • IowaKate
    Options
    There are a lot of great answers here! I will throw my hat into the ring, and say if you feel like you need to DO something, then spend some time and pre-plan your meals for the next several days. Look up some new healthy recipes. Create your grocery list. You cannot change the past. But you can make some healthy moves forward! All in all, just don't beat yourself up too much!