Lower calf muscles ache!!

Options
I sometimes get lower calf muscle cramps that can last a few days, i stretch lots and drink lots of water, and wear good shoes when i work out!! Any tips what to do or what might cause this, last year i struggled with shin splints but that seems to have passed!!

Replies

• jawhwilson
    Options
    You need to see your doc and probably get orthodics, and if that doesn't fix it you need to see a pediatrist (sp?). I have the same problem, I actually ended up hurting myself and then finding out I had flat feet. If the orthodics don't fix it you might have more trouble than you think, it could be a nerve thing. It's so not worth the pain to stick it out (trust me lol). Good Luck. Oh, and the doc said no hot things on it only cold. The hot will seeze up the muscle while the cold will actually relax it. HTH
  • melissalynnlarue
    melissalynnlarue Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The other thing you can think about doing is a different type of calf stretch. The upper part of your calf is the part you stretch when you do a straight-legged calf stretch. But, when you're "pushing down the wall" in that stretch, and you've finished the straight-legged version, slightly bend your back knee. You will feel more of a pull on your achilles, and it's important to stretch this area as well. I didn't know there was a different stretch for that until someone showed me!!!

Good luck - pain is no fun!
  • siobhannestor
    Options
    What jawhwilson said + another good luck with finding out how to handle this (I have PTTD, orthotics have done wonders - were worth the expense).