vitamins and liver problems

Options
Does anyone know of any vitamins that are gentle on the liver? I have a very early stage of hepatitis and I don't want to make my liver functions worse. Right now its in good shape but I feel like I should be taking a multi-v.

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You probably don't need a multi-vitamin. Many doctors/pharmasists would advise against it.
    You can probably get all you vits from food.
    Ask your doctor.
  • Amarie0912
    Options
    I know Vitamin C is really good for the liver. You don't necessarily need to take a supplement, just eat more foods with vitamin C in them. Broccoli, cauliflower strawberries and oranges are really good sources of vitamin C. I'll have to do some research to find some others... I take Vitamin D and fish oil supplements and I've been told those two together are really good for liver health.
  • bubblekitten
    Options
    Hopefully I can get all I need from food. I guess I need to educate myself better about which foods have which vitamins and plan accordingly. Thanks for responding!
  • bubblekitten
    Options
    Thanks for the tips Amarie0912! I forgot about fish oil! :)
  • ASTRO90
    Options
    R- Alpha Lipoic Acid is good for liver , red onions and maybe milk thistle.
    I had Hep. C at one point.
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    Vit A, B complex, C, D and E are helpful and can help rebuild a damaged liver in RDA doses

Vit A D E and K are harmful if you greatly exceed the RDA on a long term basis (300% for more than 5 days a week)
  • bubblekitten
    Options
    Astro90, thank you. Yeah hep c sucks. I haven't even started any treatments yet or really even gotten it looked at. I have been so busy trying to stay clean and trying to lose weight. Its time!
  • bubblekitten
    Options
    Davidmcgowan1, thanks for responding! I'll check it out. :-)
  • __Sneakers__
    Options
    Milk Thistle is EXCELLENT for the liver.
  • bubblekitten
    Options
    Hey Sneakers! Thanks, I forgot about milk thistle too! :-)
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Do a google search to make sure but I think Turmeric helps with the liver as well. You can add it to smoothies or your foods and I think there is a milk you can make too.