Cross-fit training

Options
I just started cross-fit yesterday. Oh boy, am I feeling it today! Does anyone have any advice to help me through the soreness? Muscles I didn't know I have hurt today! I'm definitely motivated to keep going and use this method to reach my fitness goal.....just wondering what everyone's thoughts are!!!

Take care and stay healthy!

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    What ARE your fitness goals?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Ha, ha. Just say CrossFit and there he is.
  • WriterIzzy
    Options

Slim down, tone up, build strength and endurance. Be able to kick *kitten* at Warrior Dash next year.
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    Perhaps a bit of regular power and\or olympic lifting mixed with some running would be a more effective and safer way to reach those goals.

The link below can help with the power lifting as well as nutrition.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

Here is some good info on Crossfit

http://gawker.com/5928989/

http://www.crudefitness.com/training/how-crossfit-forges-elite-failure/

http://www.ryanbyrd.net/rambleon/2012/07/27/unfit_crossit-and-the-nonpaleo-diet/

http://freakstrength.com/2011/12/16/why-is-crossfit-bad/
  • WriterIzzy
    Options
    I'm ready to challenge myself. I'm sick of the same old routine at the gym. It's boring. I want to be stronger and faster than everyone I know. I want to be the best me possible. Yes, I'm a little flabby, but I can run, I can lift. I can do almost anything at the gym no problem.

I trust my trainer. He's great. I'm just mostly wondering what I can do to help with the recovery period afterwards b/c I want to make the most of my workouts with as little down time in between them!
  • WriterIzzy
    Options
    In other words, now that I discovered CrossFit. I'm not giving it up!
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kyraschmidt
    Options
    I am very interested in crossfit also! But I am not sure where to start. All I know is that I don't want to have to spend any money
    !
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'll be starting crossfit next month and i'm very much looking forward to it.

as far as recovering, it's going to be like any other exercise routine : do dynamic stretching before, warm up sets before if you can. afterwards do some stretching, eat enough protein, get your rest and get a massage or hot tub in if you can as well. you can also wear compression gear. studies are all over the place at how effective compression gear is, but i feel it makes a difference in my soreness and recovery.

i have never done crossfit but i've been lifting heavy since my 20's and i also do oly lifts. i check out the WOD on a daily basis and it seems like it would be very likely to have soreness for as long as 6 weeks since pretty much each workout seems to be something different but equally nuts as the day before :laugh:

i dont know how often you plan on going, but i would suggest reading the WOD first before going in. i've noticed that sometimes their WOD seem to be drawn out of a hat so there is no clear them for the week. so one day you might be doing heavy deadlifts and the next day squats or KB swings. there's no way you'd be able to do as good of a job on day 2 since you're muscles were still recovering from the deadlifts. stuff like that leads to injuries...

i've also noticed a similar in upper body workouts with shoulders.
  • miss_grad
    Options
    I just started Cross-fit as well :)

If your gym has one, you can even hit the sauna after a work-out. I've heard it can do wonders for muscle-soreness, but don't quote me on that.
  • WriterIzzy
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips guys! Good luck with all your fitness goals! And to those of you who are starting crossfit, my trainer suggested I get a recovery powder to get the most of my workout. That's exactly what I did. My next class is Monday (they don't hold sessions on Sunday and my first was Friday) so I will let you know how well the powder helped me.
  • mjsawyers
    Options
    Fish oil supplements help me with soreness.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say this but you are going to be sore. This is part of the process regardless of what you do as a fitness regime. You are useing muscels that you have not used in a long time and part of the stregnthing process is causeing micro tears that repair and make the muscels stronger. Several good suggestions have been provided and I would add stretch before after and on your recovery days.
  • WriterIzzy
    Options
    Sorry to say this but you are going to be sore. This is part of the process regardless of what you do as a fitness regime. You are useing muscels that you have not used in a long time and part of the stregnthing process is causeing micro tears that repair and make the muscels stronger. Several good suggestions have been provided and I would add stretch before after and on your recovery days.

I expect to be sore! LOL. What's the old saying? "If it doesn't hurt, it didn't work?" Haha. I'm just hoping to cut down my recovery time and quickly work my way up to doing this five days a week :)
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    Actually soreness or lack of is not a good indicator of a workout that would or would not produce results.
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    Does anyone have any advice to help me through the soreness?

Foam rolling right after the WOD helps & I use a lacrosse ball sometimes too. Epsom salt baths also help me relax. If you're not sure how to use the foam roller, your coach should be able to show you some effective techniques.
  • kim8306
    Options
    I too started cross-fit this week. Soreness was outrageous! However, what helped me to my surprise was a nice run/jog. Soreness is now gone. Good luck!
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Stretch afterwards, drink plenty of water through out the day, and keep your body fueled. If your going off of MFPs default protein numbers, youd do good to up it. Have fun and be safe!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm just hoping to cut down my recovery time and quickly work my way up to doing this five days a week :)
    Just be careful! The "quickly" part of that sentence gives me some pause. As with ANY activity, moving quickly from not doing it at all to hitting it hard 5 times per week makes you vulnerable to injury and burnout. I'd suggest slowly progressing to 5 days per week, and staying active on the other days with something less punishing.

The only things that really help my recovery I've found are good sleep and good nutrition.
  • DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The only things that really help my recovery I've found are good sleep and good nutrition.

That right there will do it. I am, however, a big fan of stretching and the foam roller for working out the soreness too.