Eating Too Little...

Options
Is it possible to not lose weight because you're not eating enough? I read this somewhere and I just want to know if its true.

Replies

• ghostpixie
    ghostpixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If your body goes into starvation mode, it will retain rather than lose, I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Yes it's possible. If you don't eat enough your body tries to hold on to all the fat it has. Eat at your BMR and take your TDEE - 20% for weight loss.
  • midmomike2
    Options
    ghostpixie is right, it will wreck your metabolism
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode," which is more like your body slowing its metabolic functions in a time of food scarcity, would take weeks/months/years of eating a very low calorie diet, say, less then 800 calories a day.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Read this link and find out your TDEE and how many calories you should be eating.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • kramalicious
    Options
    Yes, if you are exercising you need more food than you think. Once I added calories to my daily total, I started losing - I also upped my protein intake and feel better for it.
  • missypoo1974
    Options
    I was at a plateau for several weeks.....and I was eating 1200 calories a day. I decided one day (about a week and a half ago) that I was sick of restricting myself so much so I splurged a little and ended the day with about 1700 calories. The next day, I weighed in at 2 pounds down. Now, it might be a fluke, or it might not. It's just what happened to me. I haven't gone back down to 1200 yet (I eat somewhere between 1400-1500 a day) and I'm down a little every few days.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    you can calculate your basal metobolic rate under the tools button. if you go below this, it affects your cortisol levels, your hormones, your metabolism, your liver function. so it's not just about losing weight or not losing weight, it's about general health.
  • kimberlyaspen
    Options
    Yes, that is possible. Like others have said, throwing your body into starvation mode will kick in your survival instincts. Your body will hold onto all the fat it can get. It's a whole lot better if you eat at or a little above your daily BMR & exercise regularly.
  • Lookingforfitat40
    Options
    ARGHH!! Enough with the "starvation mode".....

Normally I'd say open up your diary so we can help.

Did anyone else notice that she's trying to lose this weight to get down to a hair over 100 lbs?
  • NeCrafty
    Options
    ARGHH!! Enough with the "starvation mode".....

Did anyone else notice that she's trying to lose this weight to get down to a hair over 100 lbs?

Depending on her frame and height, 105 isnt unhealthy.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    ARGHH!!

you're right. one pound to lose? healthy weight is a range, not a figure
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • bshibs
    bshibs Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to lose a few pounds and mostly get in shape and get toned. I'm sorry if that offends anyone.

When you talk about how many calories I'm eating, are you referring to my net calories after exercise?
  • bshibs
    Options
    ARGHH!!

you're right. one pound to lose? healthy weight is a range, not a figure
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

I understand that it's a range. But I can't choose a goal weight range on here. I also chose a weight that I've been at before and feel most comfortable with myself at. Sorry if that offends you.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    not offended, just think you don't need to worry about only losing one pound.
    read the linked thread too there's great info in the OP
  • bshibs
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone. Based on this, I am eating almost 600 calories less than what I should be. Hard to believe but we'll see how it goes!