Gym and Fitness Videos Dillemma

Options
Hi, I was hoping you guys could help me with my mini-dillemma...
I have been going to the gym 6 daysa week for a few months now, but I don't have a trainer so I just do some running or elliptical and some strength training I found on the internet. I'm getting bored with my routine, so I want to switch it up with workout videos at home. Thinking of Slim in 6 or turbofire or 30dayshred..

Should I keep going to the gym? How many times a week? Which video do you think is best? Should I use all of them at once? Or one at a time? I want to keep running at the gym though.. But I'm afraid the workouts won't be as effective if I mixed it up.. Sorry for all the questions but I'm all confused... Please help? :)

Replies

• ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that variety is the key to keep motivation. I would suggest keeping up going to the gym and select 1 at-home program to mix in with the gym. After completing the program, maybe try another. This way you can keep track of which programs are giving you results. If you get too many things going at once, it can get overwhelming and hard to keep focused. Good luck!
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and do workout dvds at home the days I don't have time to go to the gym. I've finished 30 Day Shred and just started 6 week 6 pack. I think a bit of variety keeps it interesting! Good luck :smile:
  • brimarie95
    brimarie95 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    P90X really worked well for me and it is constantly switching things up with a different video each day of the week with amazing results. I love it and I am just finishing my 6th month. I ordered Insanity yesterday for when this month is up and I hope that I end up loving it just as much.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym but I definitely think it's worth while mixing up your exercise routine. 30 day shred has pulled me out of a month long plateau. Choose something that will be intensive and make your heart rate really increase. Sometimes hours of eliptical or the same old routine doesn't do you any favours. Maybe get one or two personal trainer sessions to revive your routine? I do 30DS four or five days a week, swimming once and couch to 5k running once (weather permitting- I live in Englend- enough said :)). Moving up to level 2 of shred soon. As long as you are exercising regularly it counts

good luck
  • Chgosportsgal
    Options
    I go to a bootcamp gym twice a week then the other 3 days...I workout at home. I'm just finishing up Turbo Fire, so if you are interested in that program, I'll be happy to answer any questions. I can't tell you how much I love that workout. However, like everyone is saying, variety is what keeps the workouts from being boring. I will start Insanity or Les Mills Combat later in October. I love Turbo Fire so much that I'm actually taking a class Oct 6th and will hopefully get certified to become an instructor!
  • meglet175
    Options
    Turbo Jam or Turbo Fire are great if you like music, dancing, and kickboxing. I use them a lot, and they are the only program I can do regularly without getting bored. I have some Jillian Michael"s DVDs and do them some, but I don't find them nearly as fun as the Turbos. Some people like Jillian's straightforward "let's do 16 push-ups now and count them down" approach, but I find that the club-like music in Turbo can distract me from the fact that I'm exercising, and the workouts just seem to fly by. With that said, they are challenging - but like anything else, you get out of them what you put into them. If you use big movements, you will sweat up a storm and get your heart rate up. The Turbo strength training DVDs are effective, too. I MUST have variety or I'll lose my mind, and I think my body responds better when I mix it up.

I live in a small town, teach school, and have three sons, so working out at home in the mornings before work is the best approach for me. The bottom line is - choose what works for you, fits your schedule, and is FUN so you'll want to keep doing it. Any movement is better than none - it's all good :)
  • moolovesme
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone!
    I think I'll switch up my gym routine and still go 4 days a week and do Slim in 6 for the other 2-3 days.. TurboFire and 30dayShred seem to be too intense for me at the moment.. I'll see, won't I? :p I'll switch if I find Debbie too.. Friendly. O.o

Thanks again.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight without setting foot in a gym. I've used all workout DVDs and my treadmill. If you are a beginner 30DS would be good to do with your running. If you are looking for strength training you could look into P90X or ChaLEAN Extreme for cardio Insanity or Turbo Fire are good options. Good luck!
  • moolovesme
    Options
    Is TurboFire good for a beginner? Does it come with strength training or a mix of cardio and strength? Same questions for 30DS :))
    I tried Slim in 6 phase one earlier and hated the contuous squatting involved..
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    TurboFire was high impact. It was fun but too much for my horrid knees!