Looking for alternative exercise/ activity options

I’m looking for suggestions on activities that burn a lot of calories, and break the monotony of the gym besides your general walking or jogging. Any ideas?

Replies

• JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Hiking, Swimming. Both burn tons of calories.

Also if you get involved in competitive sports they burn a good amount too (ie: soccer, tennis, whatever)
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    When I'm bored and stuck in the house, I'll poke around YouTube or Vimeo and find dance workout videos. They're generally not hardcore, but they're fun for breaking out of a rut. There's a park near my house that has a circuit trail - you run from station to station and then do the exercises posted at the different stops. Also google "playground workout" - you can find them at all different levels and they are really fun if you don't mind looking a little silly. (Helps if you have kids, you can totally blame it on them.) Anything else with "circuit" in the name is probably a good bet.

Man, now I want to go outside.
  • moneil61
    moneil61 Posts: 6 Member
    Great suggestions! I hadn't considered a playground at all. Thank you both.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    I'm doing insanity at the moment. It's a lot of hardwork but with the right amount of push I think we can do it! Lol.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 929 Member
    Is there a class you can take somewhere like through a community center or college? I used to take kickboxing aerobics and water aerobics through a local community college, those were both fun. Our rec department offers karate, tennis, fencing, and other things for adults.
    A coworker of mine has starting going to Bikram yoga... it's about 90 minutes of 100+ degree yoga, and you sweat a lot.
  • sapphiretyger
    sapphiretyger Posts: 79 Member
    I totally love dancing, I usually don't want to stop! I just put my Pandora on Techno/Dance station, and move around the house. Workout videos tend to get me going as well (Walk Away the Pounds, Tai Bo, Kickboxing, Zumba). Also don't forget to "sneak in" exercise by parking far away from the store (or skipping the car altogether if the trip isn't too far and you are only picking up a few items), using the stairs instead of the elevator, and so forth!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Calorie burns are going to vary person to person and exercise to exercise. Do something you enjoy that makes you work hard, that's about all you can do.
  • cr8zyamy
    cr8zyamy Posts: 46 Member
    I like using the rowing machine myself. I put on some tunes and zone right out. Pull with the arms push with the legs and I imagine I'm on the water somewhere. I've never actually rowed on water but I want to learn paddle boarding.
  • I recently discovered the rowing machine at my gym and I LOVE IT! I have a treadmill at home and the Fitness Kinect on Xbox but I wish I could spend money on a rowing machine.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Jumping rope and jumping on a trampoline are pretty good (the latter being more fun, but the former being a better calorie burn). Just make sure you wear a good bra.
  • Swimming and jump roping. Both always wear me out!
  • pammye65
    pammye65 Posts: 177 Member
    i usually walk on the treadmill 30 minutes...rest about 15 , get back on for maybe 15, rest, get back on 15...something like that. circuit stuff
  • moneil61
    Jumping rope actually sounds fun! Wish I could find a double dutch partner! I did so many fun activities and stayed in great shape growing up from being active. Oh how I want to go back! LOL
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Calorie burns are going to vary person to person and exercise to exercise. Do something you enjoy that makes you work hard, that's about all you can do.

Bingo!!!! Do something you enjoy and it's not boring anymore. The burn rate is whatever it is. Go for the max enjoyment, not the max burn and your workouts will be much more beneficial.

I'm all in on the jump rope idea. And you don't even need a double dutch partner. Here's a 10 min routine your could try:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHk4mjlJ5cg&feature=share&list=PLFC9057ECEA401CCC
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Why do you need to burn so many calories!? You already look pretty fit in your pic. If you aren't already, start lifting weights, you'll slim down! Trust me!
  • moneil61
    Thank you all for the tips! That pic is a few years old, and what I'd like to get back to as far as my fitness level. I also no longer live in a place where hiking is readily available. I get tired of the gym after a few weeks and like to break it up with fun activities that still allow me to burn and tone.