Any advice you can give me?

Options
im starting weight training tomorrow. i will still be doing cardio as well but i was thinking about NOT weighing myself till at least friday. (i ALWAYS weigh myself every morning!) so should i expect a gain this friday is my first question. my second question is how about how much should a female (weight training) get in protein (im 22 yrs old 179 pounds and 5'2" thanks!

Replies

• babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    You may or may not get weight gain from inflammation or "beginners muscle gains". Regardless, keep on doing it because it helps with your body transformation, who cares what the scale says. I recommend measuring. Also basic guidelines, lift 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps per exercise and make sure your last 1-2 reps are failing (very challenging). If you are training multiple times per week you can alternate between higher rep and lower rep for varied training. IMO 2-3 days full body is good. Start at 2 seeing as youre a beginner. And for protein, as a beginner it doesnt matter so much. Between 15-25% of your diet if find, eat more if you crave it. :)!
  • Tarek307
    Options
    look both ways when crossing the road
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. I just don't pay as much attention to the actual number on the scale, as the trend. Most gains, at first, will be water retention, but you should lose the water in a few days.

Protein intake is debatable. Many bodybuilders recommend 1 gram of protein per lb of lean mass. MFP doesn't. Most people recommend getting a good dose of protein, and carbs both prior to, and post workout. Those are the most important meals to both fuel a good workout, and help with muscle recovery.
  • babyblake11
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. I just don't pay as much attention to the actual number on the scale, as the trend. Most gains, at first, will be water retention, but you should lose the water in a few days.

Protein intake is debatable. Many bodybuilders recommend 1 gram of protein per lb of lean mass. MFP doesn't. Most people recommend getting a good dose of protein, and carbs both prior to, and post workout. Those are the most important meals to both fuel a good workout, and help with muscle recovery.

I agree, either an equal carbs and protein protein shake and a banana. or a homemade shake with milk, banana etc is good post-workout, dont restrict carbs, you need them for your anaerobic systems to work best! (strength!!) moderate fat, dont restrict that either. and enough protein. i stick around 80-110g per day. any more makes me feel queezy. as i said 15-25% is usually sufficient!!
  • DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    thanks i just took my measurements. when do u think i should check again? maybe monthly?
  • babyblake11
    Options
    thanks i just took my measurements. when do u think i should check again? maybe monthly?

monthly is good, you will get a big smile on your face and you wont get discouraged by any bumps in the road you may have. GOOD LUCK! :)
  • DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    Options

monthly is good, you will get a big smile on your face and you wont get discouraged by any bumps in the road you may have. GOOD LUCK! :)

thanks hun