Anyone else IBS??

Options
So ever since I have been changing my diet I have had horrid constipation and have tried literally everything. Went to GI doc and he diagnosed me with IBS constipation subtype. Anyone else have this. He put me on Miralax and it's been three days and I just don't feel empty. This keeps me feeling sick to my stomach and then I have no appetite so I would prefer this to go away. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Ridoe87
    Ridoe87 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when I changed my diet to vegetarian recently I no longer had any stomach issues after a few days. Maybe try that?
    -Jess
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? How much do you weigh? What is your goal weight? How many calories a day are you eating? What kinds of foods are you eating? How much water are you drinking?

Honestly, you look dangerously thin in your photos. Does the GI doctor you met with know of your history with eating disorders?

I am concerned.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Sure does :) Thanks for the concern. Not going to share my height and weight on here but will let you know I am trying to gain weight and am working with a dietician. I eat a plan based off of exchanges instead of calories now but use MFP for support.

I don't think I look dangerously thin at all, but sometimes its helpful when people point it out. Puts things in perspective for me.

Oh and I can't be vegetarian because I have a thyroid disorder that keeps me from being able to eat soy.

Btw, I appreciate the feedback but I really want to know if anyone has used Miralax and how long I should give it to work.
  • MrsTheunissen
    MrsTheunissen Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think I have IBS, but I haven't had a doctor say it to me. But I have tried digestive enzymes that helps to brake down carbs, fat and protein. friends of mine that do have IBS do say that these tablets have hept them alot. Check with your health food store.
    Take care
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've had IBS as long as i can remember. I changed to an wheat, egg, dairy (and various other) free diet beginning of this year and its made a HUGE improvement. I still slip up now and again, but i suffer for it when i do something rotten
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Your ticker on you profile shows that you are losing weight and are trying to lose more, one reason for my concern the concern.

Best wishes to you
  • crrobin
    crrobin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have Crohns disease, and battle constipation quite often. One thing I've noticed by joining MFP and on my journey to healthy living....I can REALLY tell now that most of the time the constipation has to do with not getting enough water in. Miralax works wonders for me....yes it can take a few days to work. But the mirilax won't work if u are not hydrated enough! I would definitely recommend staying away from stimulant laxatives and encourage u to try things like prunes or prune juice. I am a RN....so I have no problems talking about these things:). That full feeling is no fun, and I can imagine makes it even more difficult to gain weight. Hope u feel better soon
  • bsnmomtomany
    bsnmomtomany Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I started taking Align for my IBS about a year ago. It has helped a lot especially with the constipation.
  • scottg1024
    Options
    Your ticker on you profile shows that you are losing weight and are trying to lose more, one reason for my concern the concern.

Best wishes to you

Her ticker shows negative numbers, which indicates she's trying to gain. I think she's being forthright about this.
  • susjan
    susjan Posts: 105
    Options
    Miralax makes me soooooooooooooooooooo sick to my stomach. I have horrible pains, I throw up and **** my brains out for days (sorry for the TMI). My dr is at a loss because that's supposed to be 'gentle' on the system. If you find anything out that works, I'd love to know!
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who have been diagnosed with IBS but actually have a gluten issue, have you talked to your doctor about that? I had a horrible gluten issue (actually spiraled me into an eating disorder and made recovery nearly impossible until I stopped eating gluten), once I learned that food wasn't bad, and that it didn't make me sick my recovery from my ED sped up and...just improved, a lot. I would suggest going to a naturally gluten free diet for 3-4 week and then seeing how you feel, a lot people have to go egg/dairy free for a few months (6 months to a year) while their body heals and then they're fine, I was one of those people.

So, in response to the actual question: I've never used that medicine, but I found out what was actually wrong with me, not IBS but gluten.
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Takes sometimes more than a week for mirlax to work. My son has autism and constipation issues are common with those kids. Doesn't make him sick though, but he has been taking it off an on for years so maybe that makes a difference.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with IBS-C, as well, and took Glycolax for years. I fairly recently started avoiding gluten to see if it would help with some other symptoms I was having from another medical condition, and it did make a difference with those symptoms and with the IBS-C. I still tend to be "slow" but not to the degree that I need to take meds for that.

Also, it is possible to be vegetarian and avoid soy. Challenging, yes, but not impossible.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Sure does :) Thanks for the concern. Not going to share my height and weight on here but will let you know I am trying to gain weight and am working with a dietician. I eat a plan based off of exchanges instead of calories now but use MFP for support.

I don't think I look dangerously thin at all, but sometimes its helpful when people point it out. Puts things in perspective for me.

Oh and I can't be vegetarian because I have a thyroid disorder that keeps me from being able to eat soy.

Btw, I appreciate the feedback but I really want to know if anyone has used Miralax and how long I should give it to work.
    I take a digestive enzyme (like beano) with everything I put in my mouth. Maybe that would help you, it's worth a try.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I went off gluten for a while and it helped my symptoms IMMENSELY. It took a couple weeks though.

No meds here.
  • tcpowell25
    Options
    I have IBS-C and nothing works for my stomach but fruits and vegi's. I stay away from dairy, gluten, and citrus. What helped me is keeping a diary of food and I went back to when I was sick. I took this list and narrowed down what I thought made me feel bad. This is what my GI recommended. Try that. Someone mentioned a vegetarian diet. I agree that pretty much worked for me.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Have you tried keeping track of what your eating and when you get syptoms just in case it is something you are eating? Years ago I was diagnosed IBS and after keeping a food diary found that I was allergic to milk. Personally I think IBS is often one of those catch all diagnosis that doctors make when they really just have no clue what else to tell you.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Me, but mine changes. It goes from not pooping for three days to having diarrhea daily. If I eat healthy I have it, and if I eat crap I have it. I haven't been able to find a trigger. It ain't right!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with ibs (diarrhea type) and had medication for years. I really only took it when it got bad and in general I just learned to live with it. Basically in 75% of the meals I ate I had to run to the bathroom and had cramping. I just thought that was my lot in life. It completely vanished when I switched to a vegan diet low in processed foods. Not saying it works for everyone, but it worked for me.

Also just fyi, you can be vegetarian and avoid soy. :)

Maybe try upping your fiber and cutting down your meat. Meat with no fiber can cause constipation.
  • jinjin8
    jinjin8 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Have you tried keeping track of what your eating and when you get syptoms just in case it is something you are eating? Years ago I was diagnosed IBS and after keeping a food diary found that I was allergic to milk. Personally I think IBS is often one of those catch all diagnosis that doctors make when they really just have no clue what else to tell you.

I agree with monitoring to see what types of foods are causing you issues. I personally have found that a lower fat diet is helping me with mine, I have been eating a lot of fats (around 30-35% diet from predominantly healthy fats) but cutting down to around 20-25% of my calorie intake from fat - I feel so so so much better stomach wise.