Diastasis Recti

Options
Diastasis recti is a separation between the left and right side of the rectus abdominis muscle, which covers the front surface of the belly area.

Does anyone suffer from this? I recently was told by a surgeon that I suffer from diastasis recti from having 4 of my 5 children so close together and gaining weight while pregnant and never having the "chance" to lose it.

Of course I have been researching the condition and wow I feel so intimidated to lose the weight. A lot of the women I've seen on you tube with the condition are pretty thin in size already so it is hard to relate. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this, experiencing it, and know how to overcome it.

Please share, thanks.:smile:

Replies

• chrlslove7
    chrlslove7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think I may have it but am not sure. When I do the "test" by flexing as you hold your fingers around your belly button, I don't feel anything discernible. So I can't tell, but, when I flex my ab muscles, such as getting up from lying down, there is a small protruding bump that shows. It feels solid, like muscle but I can't tell if it's diastasis. My OB hasn't told me it was diastasis which makes me even more confused. I'm also intimidated by working out because it says NOT to do certain exercises when we have it. So I don't know if I'm making it worse or not since I don't know if I have it. I'm going to start doing these workouts, just to be on the safe side.

http://inspiredrd.com/2012/06/dear-diastasis-recti-im-so-over-you.html
  • laurensgettingfit
    Options
    they test for this now in hospital after you have a baby (well where I live anyway) . Yes mine are seperated as I had my two babies close together and initially when I first dropped the weight after my son my stomach just hung there so gross. I was too scared to lose the last 10kg thinking I'd have major skin overhang but its improving with time. My son is 2. I only have 5kg more to lose now (I did have 33kg at the start!!).

I do know that I was given a bandage kind of thing that holds your stomach in tight to wear for a couple of hours a day after having my son. Just use those sucking in spanx that go up to your ribs for a similar feeling. I'm not sure why this was advised but the physio said to use it but not over use it.

I don't do stomach crunches, I do this youtube video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR6o7-QzM4o along with other youtube vids that target abs. I do exercise bike and cross trainer.

The hospitals have also just started a post natal exercise group for ums with diastasis... wonder if I'm eligible two years later hehhe....

Let me know if you find any more info on it, I Haven't really bothered worrying about it but I probably should as your stomach muscles support your back muscles.
  • mutusystem
    Options
    Hi there, you can watch a completely free video here on how to test yourself for diastasis recti + there is a ton of free information on the site too. Hope it helps! :smile:

http://mutusystem.com/diastasis-recti-test-video.html