Do not buy Palmers Scar Serum!!

Options
Yesterday I bought some Palmers Scar Serum, the online reviews are good and the ingredients are good - lots of vitamin e.

Why did I buy it? I have scars on my wrist from teenage agnst, and newly forming stretchmarks on my thighs, older ones on my arms, back of knees, breasts, hips and tummy.

I applied it this morning, about an hour ago. It wasn't fun. It is incredibly thick, and by the time I had covered all the affected places, I had used no less than a third of a frickin' bottle!!! And now I feel very sticky, and smell all fishy because of the shark liver extract and this stuff isnt going to be absorbed into my skin anytime soon!! The bottle cost £10 and the directions are to use 3-4 times a day for 6 months. If I were to do that, I'd be using a whole bottle every day! And I would never be able to get dressed or touch anything with my sticky hands.

This may well work for small scars, who knows, but it sure as hell aint worth trying it for stretch marks!

Replies

• ShamaraRobyn
    Options
    It's good to hear people advising what -not- to buy- honest reviews are where it's at.
    I have scars on my thighs from 'teenage angst' and stretchmarks in a few places, and I've just resigned myself to the fact that they'll always be there- all I can do is to alleviate the cause of all of these things, that is, to lose weight.
    I'd imagine like you said that the product was intended for use on smaller areas. 3-4 times a day is a little extreme. Who has the time or patience to apply that so often for so long? Something tells me the scars would be easier to live with than the treatment.
  • folkoono
    folkoono Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try rosehip oil instead.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Bio Oil FTW!

seriously, get yourself some. it's a tiny bit expensive, but a bottle lasts a fair while and it really works
  • MissSusieQ
    Options
    also, it smells good
  • Blackbird16
    Options
    Yeah bio oil is amazing for that sort of thing :) You have to give it about 3 months though?
  • MissSusieQ
    Options
    Yeah bio oil is amazing for that sort of thing :) You have to give it about 3 months though?

nothing worth having comes easy :)
  • mandybobs65
    mandybobs65 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, bio oil is fab, takes a while and is a little bit pricey, but lasts ages - well worth the money
  • DeathKitty23
    DeathKitty23 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love palmers stretch mark cream - it goes on easy and smells like chocolate - don;t know if it overly works on the stretch marks but its an awesome intensive mooisturiser :) lol
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Teenage angst... I like that description...

My scars are probably permanent as they are quite severe but it wont hurt to try... Bio oil it is then!
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have actually been using Bio oil for the last year and didn't work for me. Let my skin soft but no change in scarring. I think I just have difficult skin!! I might try and return this one and get the Palmers oil specifically for stretch marks, this one just looked more potent!
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Get a bottle of decent extra virgin olive oil, I used it for years on really bad acne scarring and it makes your skin look wonderful.... as long as you dont mind smelling like a salad... but then anything is better than smelling of fish right? :laugh:
  • slayer198
    Options
    sorry for necroing the thread but I think this could help people

hi I recently purchased some of the scar serum to try on old scars on my wrist well let u know how it goes. also I don't think its intended to be used like a lotion its just to put on top of scars.

but I was a 360 pound diabetic 32 year old male I have lost 110 pounds and reversed my diabetes and had bad skin damage after reading reviews on on how to tighten skin and get rid of skin damage I read some reviews about palmers cocoa butter formula firming butter with shea butter, collagen, elastin and vitamin e a guy in same boat as me said he got rid of marks and tightend skin with it so for about 5 dollars us a bottle I got some and after 3 bottles my skin is tight and stretch marks are all but gone im still losing weight and it seems to be keeping up with the loss of weight

my older sister noticed what it is doing for me and uses it as well now so if it will work for someone like me at 32 its bound to help other people with less sever damage u should notice results after the first application at least I did hope this helps
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have not tried the scar serum, but Palmers makes a coco butter stretch mark lotion that I love, it is thick and creamy and vanishes right in and smells great, And they carry a coconut oil that is supposed to help diminish scars and stretch marks, though I can't find it in stores around here.

For scars I also like Mederma, though that can be pricey. A little goes a long way, you don't need to apply a lot at a time. Many drugstores have private label versions of it now that are a few dollars less. I too have some angst-scars (I like that term), though they are considerably faded now (the oldest ones are pale white/silvery rather than the brown they were for years) they will probably be ever-present. My daughter has a surgical scar on her shoulder that we were using it on, she has gotten a bit lazy about it though so I'll be making sure she starts that up again.

Even just regularly using ANY body lotion will help soften the scar tissue and encourage fading. Pick one you like and keep using it until you find a scar-specific stuff you are happy with.

Whatever you use, you will need to be patient, especially if the scar tissue is rather thick/deep.

edited to add: how thickly are you applying it? It sounds like a lot, especially if you used so much and it's not even absorbing.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Try coco butter or extra virgin coconut oil. They are really good for your skin but make sure that you are not putting to much on your skin or it will sit on there. Your skin can only absorb so much at a time.