Dukan Diet - Oat Bran HELP!

Options
Hi, I am seriously thinking of starting the Dukan diet and want to know if anyone knows where in the UK (or online) we can get Oat Bran.

The diet seems to indicate this has to be eaten "raw" i.e. off a spoon (1.5tbsp) in the first and second phase (2tbsp) of the diet as it expands so much in the stomach and helps with digestion and fullness. I can only seem to find the type that needs to be made up as a porridge. Or am I missing the point and the amounts that Dukan talks about has to be made up with water before eating anyway?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    there is nothing magical about oat bran. if following the dukan diet helps you maintain a caloric deficit, then by all means do it. But it is a huge change and huge changes are hard to maintain. take small steps and adapt slowly for long term success.

dont worry about oat bran. follow your chosen path as close as you can (if you want) but dont get hung up on any one small aspect.
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dave, it's not a huge change for me as I have been eating clean(er) for 6 months now. I am ready for the next phase which is taking it much more seriously and getting to my target. Thanks for your input. Your profile pic is impressive - my Trainer has a body like that, do you do modelling?? :blushing:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dave, it's not a huge change for me as I have been eating clean(er) for 6 months now. I am ready for the next phase which is taking it much more seriously and getting to my target. Thanks for your input. Your profile pic is impressive - my Trainer has a body like that, do you do modelling?? :blushing:

ha, thanks but that pic is the actor Mickey Rourke
  • scorpiotwinkles
    Options
    :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: :laugh:

Edit: Sorry wasn't looking at the face!!
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Try wheat bran (if you can have wheat)- available at most grocery stores. Otherwise try Holland & Barrett.
  • scorpiotwinkles
    Options
    Thanks sweetie, but it has to be oats. I have read some more, and realised I can use the Oat Bran which can be made up into a porridge, but as the amount needed is so small I can sprinkle it over foods.

Thanks guys!
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    you can buy the stuff in tescos! Must say Im not a fan of Dukan tho, did it, got hugely fat after I stopped.
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am seriously thinking of starting the Dukan diet and want to know if anyone knows where in the UK (or online) we can get Oat Bran.

The diet seems to indicate this has to be eaten "raw" i.e. off a spoon (1.5tbsp) in the first and second phase (2tbsp) of the diet as it expands so much in the stomach and helps with digestion and fullness. I can only seem to find the type that needs to be made up as a porridge. Or am I missing the point and the amounts that Dukan talks about has to be made up with water before eating anyway?

You can buy it in Tesco or else Holland and Barrett. You certainly don't need to eat it raw. Have you bought the book? Dukan recommends you make a daily pancake type thing with it, called a galette.

PS - I tried the Dukan - -it was torture and I quit. Low carb is one thing but low carb and low fat??! There is no doubt that you will get results but, in my opinion, it works only by severely restricting calories. If you cut both carbs and fat from your diet you will find it almost impossible to eat more than1000 cals per day. I personally would not recommend but good luck it you go for it!
  • dustwitch
    dustwitch Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sainsburys sells oat bran in the cereal aisle, Mornflake is the brand I use, it's in an orangey brown coloured cylinder shaped container.
  • dustwitch
    Options
    The Dukan oatbran pancakes aren't up to much in my opinion but whether you do Dukan or not , the oatbran is okay added to yoghurt as it's high in soluble fibre and lowers your cholesterol levels...apparently.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You can get oat bran in Holland and Barrett :smile:
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Oh please think very careful about the Dukan diet - one of my pals on here used to do it - and landed up in hospital - not once, but twice!! She is no longer on MFP otherwise I would have suggested you talk to her...

Personally I really question whether it is worth our health to go to such drastic measures. In the end of the day it is your choice.....
  • Midgetgem74
    Midgetgem74 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I got some in marks and Spencer's I use half porridge oats and half oatbran sometimes as a change to all oats and gives porridge a wholemeal taste
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I've seen it in Tesco and Asda. I was going to post links, but they're appearing as out of stock. Still, check there before you go to Holland and Barrett though, the savings will easily match the petrol you use in your search.

I read the Dukan diet a few years ago, and would like to point out that if you read it, you will find that the author openly admits he has absolutely no clue what he was doing, experimented on a patient, and expects you to follow his guesses at weight loss.

Here is what the NHS say about the diet.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/11November/Pages/dukan-diet-celebrity-diets-unproven-dangerous.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/top-10-most-popular-diets-review.aspx
  • saratogaaileen
    Options
    Saw it in Tesco this morning x
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Sainsburys sells oat bran in the cereal aisle, Mornflake is the brand I use, it's in an orangey brown coloured cylinder shaped container.

There is also a paper pack same colour and cheaper. I love it added to other cereals. Also added to regular porridge oats for a slightly different tast and texture.
  • dustwitch
    Options
    Sound-I'll have to look out for the bags next time i'm shopping : )
  • scorpiotwinkles
    Options
    Thanks everyone, especially the comments about do it/don't do it! I need to get serious now and the high protein with occasional carbs diet suits my body type and my lifting regime, so I will probably NOT do it but stick to what I AM DOING and just be more regimental with myself.

You are great!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Sound-I'll have to look out for the bags next time i'm shopping : )

There is also a pack of toasted oatbran, I do not like that as much as the raw.