Walking @ 1 mile an hour

Options
Tell me honestly how many calories do you think someone would burn walking/shopping for groceries in 2 hours?

Replies

• kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    More than you would by sitting on the couch, but not enough to justify logging unless you are power walking up and down the aisles without stopping--which you probably aren't if it is taking you two hours to shop.
  • levstein
    Options
    exactly what I thought someone was claiming to have burned almost 1000 calories by doing this activity and when I pointed out to them that it was very unlikely that the calorie burn was anywhere near that amount they unfriended me! Some people live in cloud cuckoo land.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of shopping, I mean A LOT. We spend at least 4 hours going through Costco, Petco, the supermarket, the farmers market or the produce market. I usually log it as 2 hrs (although I'm usually gone all afternoon I'm not always on the move) at 2 miles per hours which is about 340 calories for me.
  • saratogaaileen
    Options
    This is my actual job, picking shopping for on-line customers. I work 4 hour shifts and never thought to log it! Yes, it's moving and if the alternative is sitting on the couch then shopping is better, but I certainly wouldn't class it as exercise.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    exactly what I thought someone was claiming to have burned almost 1000 calories by doing this activity and when I pointed out to them that it was very unlikely that the calorie burn was anywhere near that amount they unfriended me! Some people live in cloud cuckoo land.

When I started @ nearly 500 lbs. 1 mile of walking took just a little over 1 hour to complete. I was very out of shape. I needed to take multiple 5 min rest breaks. According to my Polar HRM I would burned 1400-1600 calories. It's possible to burn 1000 calories. The more in shape you are and less you weigh, the lower the calorie burns will be.
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This is my actual job, picking shopping for on-line customers. I work 4 hour shifts and never thought to log it! Yes, it's moving and if the alternative is sitting on the couch then shopping is better, but I certainly wouldn't class it as exercise.

Saratoga, you probably put that in when you set up your profile. I recall being asked what I do for work and I'm sedentary (work in an office sitting at a desk 90% of my work day). MFP should have already calculated that in when coming up with your caloric goal per day.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    When you start logging time like cleaning your house or walking doing everything that you normally do in a day your only cheating yourself! To earn 1000 calorie burn you have to walk at least 10-12 miles at a steady pace (3.8-4.2) and take about 25,000 steps. I have a fitbit and believe me I know, It is very hard to accomplish without purpose! If that makes sense to you.

Oh and dont even get me started on the ones that post- "why am I not losing" I go look at their diaries and they eat crap! Fast food etc.. come on really!

People on here do that and then eat all of those calories they think they burned, it drives me nuts and normally dont' comment.
    Unless you are sweating like a pig dont log stuff like that, it will just slow u down with losing, if that is your goal. Same goes for these DVD's that I see logged. JM get ripped and 30 day shred, you should see some of the calories burned listed- seriously! At best going super strong for 30 mins its only around 189. Unless you get a fitbit or HRM you will never really know and even then its a guess. The body is a work of science and very smart! It learns everything you do and acclamates to it! Of course all the numbers are based on what you weigh now and what your goals are.

It's why weight loss slows, keep at it, slow and steady wins the race! I have learned so much in 5 months. Been frustrated like the rest... You will get there if your deligent. Good Luck to you...
  • coffeebrown5
    coffeebrown5 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Not very much I would suppose.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    While your former friend may have erred in logging the calories burned why would you take them to task for it? (unless they posted a "Why am I not losing?" thread) and as lacroyx suggested, they may be heavy enough and have a very low level of fitness that the actual burn may be much higher than one would expect.
  • levstein
    Options
    2 hours grocery shopping is not 2 hours of walking.........it is walking in fits and starts......not the same as a 2 hour walk. I didn't take them to task over it I simply enquired how they arrived at that figure and they chose to unfriend me whilst they basked in the glory of the congrats from others.
    I have used a pedometer to log calorific burn on a 9 hour shift on the shopfloor where I am on my feet walking back and forth up and down stairs etc and the burn was 100 ish. I have also logged a slow walk round a market which was about an hour and the burn was about 30 ish calories.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    2 hours grocery shopping is not 2 hours of walking.........it is walking in fits and starts......not the same as a 2 hour walk. I didn't take them to task over it I simply enquired how they arrived at that figure and they chose to unfriend me whilst they basked in the glory of the congrats from others.
    I have used a pedometer to log calorific burn on a 9 hour shift on the shopfloor where I am on my feet walking back and forth up and down stairs etc and the burn was 100 ish. I have also logged a slow walk round a market which was about an hour and the burn was about 30 ish calories.

I have a fitbit ( set to sedentary here) and I regularly have adjustments of over 600 calories. A few weeks ago I had an adjustment of over 1000 calories on a day that I went to the gym and then spent several hours grocery shopping.