Gym Help

Options
So tomorrow is my first day using my gym membership. I need help. I have no idea what I am doing. My aim is to lose 10kgs so I want to lose weight but I also what to build muscle. What do you recommend I do? What machines etc and for how long.

Replies

• chaunasmith
    chaunasmith Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just start off slow if you haven't exercised in a while. Maybe you could try the treadmill to start, and then transition to other more challenging machines like the ellipitcals, stationary bikes, stair steppers, etc. I guess I'm kinda giving you what I did when I started going to my gym 2 years ago. Now, I'm feeling my way around the exercise classes offered there after all this time. Was always afraid before.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you have a word with the staff at the gym and they can advise you better and it would be so easy for me to say use thease types but staff at the gym could off you better choices and ones that you might like even more
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Best off asking a PT who works there. Otherwise, if you want to lift, go light and figure out how to use the machines. Once you've done this, the next time, go heavier. Same for the CV machines, taking it easy so you don't injure yourself.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I recommend you read New Rules of Lifting for Women or StrongLifts 5x5.

I suggest lifting as heavy as you can, and incorporate squats, deadlifts and OHP's into your routine.
  • loopingcaterpillar
    Options
    they should offer you an induction to show you all the machines,if they haven't ask them to show you everything and ask lots of questions. i joined two weeks ago, i started walking on the treadmills and now i'm running. the machines show you calories burned too. i try to use different things each day, one day i might row and use steps another i'll run and cycle. i vary the strength machines between each activity :P
  • misspancakes
    misspancakes Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am an active person. I play sport and walk often. However put on a bit of weight after I had a year of sport due to a knee injury. I used to play netball 3-4 times per week plus touch football. I want to get back
    To my previous weight :)
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical for cardio - less high impact than the treadmill and I find I can keep going for longer.

I've been looking at Nerd Fitness for some advice on strength training - he recommends free weights (and in fact, just starting with body weight) and an interval training style. I think it's really interesting...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

And take advantage of the people who are employed to be there and help you. Maybe they will give you an induction on the first day - show you around the different machines and make sure your form is good, which is important in order to avoid injury.

Sometimes gyms have classes you can sign up for too - might be good and keep you motivated if you're doing things as a group and on a regular schedule?

Good luck! I'm definitely not a gym expert myself but I hope it's helpful
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Most gyms will give you a few visits with a trainer for free for new members. Have them show you the ropes.
  • saratogaaileen
    Options
    If you are offered an induction, take it! I was shown around, demonstrated machines I would have been terrified of and gleaned a wealth of information at my induction. They also gave a follow up a few weeks later, as by then I had tried out various things and had some more questions! The staff are there to help so don't be afraid to approach them, they will be flattered to be asked!

Good luck & enjoy!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Get a free session/induction off of the gym, it's the best thing to do.

Then find a program you like, and follow it.
  • misspancakes
    misspancakes Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will be going to a class tuesday to Friday but they dot have a class Monday Mornings that is at a time
    That suits me.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you have a word with the staff at the gym and they can advise you better and it would be so easy for me to say use thease types but staff at the gym could off you better choices and ones that you might like even more

This is right. Just make sure that you let them know that you want to get stronger.