Lost some weight, struggling to keep motivated ....

Options
Hi all, I guess I need a little help. I've lost 11 pounds so far, which is great. I am really pleased to lose that much over 2 months, feel well, and am really enjoying the challenge of C25k.

Now I am up against a bit of a mental block. The lightweight summer trousers I had been wearing got very loose on me, and were impossible to wear without a belt, which really made me smile. I wore a pair of heavier winter trouser to work on Friday because it was cold. They had been too tight before, but now they fit. Which again, is good. So where is the problem.....?

Patience, I suppose. I am glad to wear my black trousers, but they only just fit, and they are still a big pair of trousers. I want to fit into other things in my wardrobe. I am fed up because I am now back where I started at the beginning of the summer, weighing too much. I have to say (hope its not tmi) but its also TOTM, which does affect my mood.

I just want to be slimmer, and am struggling with the mental challenge of sticking with it. I am recording every food & drink still, reminding myself that no matter how much I enjoy those salted pretzels, how much more I will enjoy being slimmer. Its just a struggle right now. Is there anything I can do to make it easier to get through this part. I WILL NOT give up! But it's difficult right now.... Help!

Replies

• foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    You can do this. One small victory at a time!
  • nsalerno90
    Options
    Wow -- you sound just like me. I have lost 14 lbs, been at it three months. I am choosing to lose slowly but am averaging about a pound a week. There are some small changes -- mostly only ones I can see. I too, need a belt around my waist bands but haven't needed to really buy new clothes. My bras are loose and I have lost a few inches. A few people have commented that I look better and seem to have more energy. My husband is also on the path with me and we are working together.

BUT . . . it is a slow process and being motivated every day is hard. Sounds like we might be good friends to each other. I sent you a friend request.

What I keep telling myself is that I am in a better place than I would have been if I hadn't started - if I hadn't begun increasing my exercise, my water and my protein. That I have more energy (huge for me because I have fibromyalgia) and am more confident when I stand in front of my class each week. Even my hair looks better because I am faithfully taking vitamins and eating so well. If I hadn't started I would be carrying around those 14 lbs and who needs that?

Hang in there -- keep logging in and talk to people. Every day gets you just a bit closer to your goal.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Get busy with your life. Add exercise even just a little to start. You are worth the effort. Next believe that you can and will do it and then do. Finally another quote this one from AA. It works if you work it. That said you didn't put the weight on in a month or even a year. It isn't going to come off in a month or even a year. This is a lifestyle change not a horse race.. No one wins for coming in first.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Its good to have clothes that dont fit yet. So every week you try them on to stay motivated. Eventually with your hard work they will fit!
  • ChristineEaton7210
    Options
    Hi

'Patience' is a good word and I understand what you're going through - but what finally clicked for me is the realization that : I didn't get fat overnight, so I'm definitely not getting skinny overnight!

I think the sting of that statement is - it was super easy, sitting around, eating everything I wanted, completely inactive, watching the world go by.....I didn't make any effort at getting fat.......but NOW I have to undo all of that and that's where the effort comes in......

It will be tough, it will be a struggle and you'll want to give up more times than you care to count....but I'm here to tell you that it does get easier, it does become routine, it does become your new lifestyle....and without even realizing, you've flipped the switch!

I can't imagine a day now without exercise, without planning meals, without daily affirmation - that I am important, I am worth it and I do deserve to be healthy & happy.

I started at a size 22 (I was all gut, still am, but its getting smaller ;o) ) and yesterday I tried on a 15/16 pant......they didn't zip up - but they slid over my *kitten* nicely!!!!! And THAT felt like a hell of a victory! So yup - I see where you're going with the 'patience ' thing.......been there many times, but make yourself small goals....baby steps - realize that this adventure is 24 hours long, until you get to the next day and it starts all over again!

I bought those size 15/16 pants....because I liked them....because I WILL get into them....I WILL wear them out.....until I go buy that size 13/14!!!!!

You CAN do this.....You WILL do this.....because you owe it to yourself to undo how you lived previously!!

Good luck with your adventure ~ by all means, add me as your friend - would love to see how your journey continues

Christine:flowerforyou:
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I am kinda the opposite myself. When i begin to see results, even in everday RL things, It motivates me that much more. I start pushing myself harder (either mentally or physically). I guess im more competitive than i admit.

before you know it, you WILL have to start buying new clothes..and that will be so exciting!!! Be proud of yourself for even starting to change your lifestyle of eating and even prouder for accomplishing what you have so far. We all know what a true struggle it is, and we are proud of you too. :)
  • hello_miffy
    hello_miffy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Every time I feel like giving up and snacking, I go on a tumblr like http://striving-for-skinny.tumblr.com/ and look at pics of healthy food and fitness training and it almost always stops me wanting the snack and distracts me. There are tons of tumblr accounts dedicated to fitness if you google them, so called Fitblrs. I wouldn't have made it this far without them.
  • LuckyStarGazer
    Options
    I frequently struggle with these feelings too, especially around TOM. What helps is to remind myself that 1) I REFUSE to allow myself to get back to my old size or even bigger; 2) I feel much better physically and mentally when I eat healthier; 3) the weight didn't pile on in a short time so it won't come off in a short time either; and finally 4) I often have to recite my favorite quote (which is also taped to my refridgerator as well) ~ "I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday." This quote REALLY helps to keep me going, so maybe it will help you too. Best of luck!!
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You can do this but you really need to take a long look in the mirror and decide it's your time.
    I'm going to tell ya now that this is going to be a life long journey so you might as well toughen up and get ready for the ride.
    I agree with everyone else and I'm going to tell you from experience that it's not going to get easier once you hit your goal weight. As a matter of fact, you'd better put on your boxing gloves because it going to be an all out fight to keep the weight off. I've lost 40 lbs and have kept is off for five months. But guess what, I not celebrating too hard because I've done this before and gained it back. So like someone here said...get busy with your life. Have a good exercise plan. Plan some quarterly events like 5ks, half marathons, mudruns...something to challenge you and to give you something to look forward to. Don't throw in the towel. There's a new you waiting to be unveiled. YOU'VE JUST HAVE TO MUSTER UP SOME... WHATEVER YOU WOMEN CALL IT. MEN CALL IT BALLS AND THEN GET TO GETTING IT DONE. The best is yet to come. It up to you.
  • yvonnemoore003
    Options
    Good job on your loss so far. I would suggest to help keep you going that you write down your goals. Write down all the thing you want from your weight loss journey. Be sure to keep them positive and stay away from the negative like "I don't want to be the fat friend any more" because it it easier to work towards the positive that to run away from the negative. Then take your top 3 or 5 post them everywhere you look like the bathroom mirror, refrigerator, in your car, on your computer and other devices, and if you workout at home post it where you workout.

Also set mini goals and reward yourself when you reach them. It sounds like you could already use some new pants so go shopping. Good luck and I hope you stick with it.
  • Well, Lisa, you made a good choice with your post, that is a really good step to speak out about your feelings of frustration and impatience. My advice is to do more of that, blogging, posting, sharing with your MFP friends, it works wonders for me attitude-wise. :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I just want to be slimmer, and am struggling with the mental challenge of sticking with it. I am recording every food & drink still, reminding myself that no matter how much I enjoy those salted pretzels, how much more I will enjoy being slimmer.

Don't just THINK about how better it will be to be slimmer, DO things that reinforce it: Walk, do yoga, go to a tea house and enjoy a delicious cup of tea in beautiful surroundings.
  • Lisame11
    Lisame11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you all you lovely people! :heart:

You've all just given me what I needed. I know (I even have it written on a sticky note!) that it took a long time to get to where I am now, so I must not expect to get back overnight!

I must also remember to appreciate all those tiny steps and goals achieved. Like in the "Hey, Fat Girl" post, just getting out there takes so much more effort than someone who is already slim and fit. I'm on Week 6 of C25k, and run every other day. I can tell how much my fitness has improved already, because I used to get out of breath on the warm up walk! Now I plan my day so I don't miss out on the run. :-)

Thanks again everyone. :flowerforyou: