Why am I not losing any weight!!!!

Options
I've been cycling for 6 weeks doing about 16 miles a week, I go moderate (12-14mph) and not lost even a pound...any help would be gratefully received

Replies

• samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you're doing 16 miles per week, at 14 miles per hour, you are only working out a little over an hour each week. Try 16 miles per ride and ride more often.
  • shonaredman
    shonaredman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well it takes me 40 mins to do 5 miles
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Cant see ur diary.
  • shonaredman
    Options
    How can I change that, only started recording today properly
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I misunderstood. You said you were going 12-14mph. If you are taking 40 minutes to do 5 miles then your true speed is 7.5 MPH.

If you're doing 16 miles per week, then you're exercising about 2 hours a week. If weight loss if your goal, then you need more exercise time.
  • Tazzymk
    Tazzymk Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Have you tried measuring to see if you have lost some inches? Sometimes the scales don't do a true reflection of your success.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    How can I change that, only started recording today properly

That probably answers the question. Start logging food and you will see why.
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? I found when I wasn't, the weight wasn't shifting
  • kateowp
    kateowp Posts: 103 Member
    Options

That makes your pace 7.5 mph- maybe you have been overestimating calories burned?
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options

Then you are going about 7.5 mph, not 12-14. Maybe it's the accuracy of your machine. Still a good start, but the others are right, without knowing what you are eating, where you started, where you want to go, can't really answer your question.

And while 40 minutes 3 times a week is good for overall health, that alone won't cause much weight loss.
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think that something in your speedometer/mile tracker is wacked. If you are going 12-14 mph you should be doing 12 miles in an hour. We need to see what you are eating.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Your diet is the most important factor. You can lose weight without ANY exercise if your diet is in order.

Food > Settings > Diary sharing.
  • shonaredman
    Options
    Its very hard all this exercise and healthy eating!!! I want a magic cure that I can wake up a size 10 :laugh:
  • ActSingMom
    ActSingMom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Workout 30 minutes 6 days a week moderately or 300 calories burned a day. Don't eat the extra workout calories you burned.
    Check out this article:
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/is-30-minutes-of-daily-exercise-a-sweet-spot-for-weight-loss/
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Right, first off things to do:
    -weigh yourself accurately and measure your waist/ hips accurately and record this.
    -set yourself some targets (sensible target weight) using mfp
    -start logging all your food (ALL !) accurately using mfp.
    -weigh yourself weekly at the same time of day
    -check your measurements every few weeks

Cycling is great cardio, and can help weightloss. However, if you eat back all the calories you burn, and then some, you will not loose weight. Cycling helps build muscle, which means your shape will eventually change, but it will not be instant!

Other things you should or could do:
    -get some mfp friends for motivation
    -open your diary so others can see it
    -use some kind of GPS app like www.endomondo.co.uk to track your journeys to get a more accurate idea of speed and distance
    -aim to get 30 mins of exercise minimum every day

Good luck!
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You are only trying to lose 4lbs? How much body fat do you have?
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Add strength training and make sure you're eating enough.
  • shonaredman
    Options
    Thank you so much for your advice, how do I open my food diary??? I have only started today so haven't logged anything...is this why???
  • iluvco3
    iluvco3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm...the 30 min./day at moderate intensity or burn 300 calories is a puzzle to me. I could never burn 300 calories in 30 min. I wish I did. I burn less than 400 in an hour.
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Cycling is one of my main forms of exercise. In the summer when the weather was better I was doing a couple of 1.5-2hr bike rides a week, doing around 7mph (I had the kids with me, plus where I live is hilly!). I also have a stationary bike which I use now the weather isn't so good. I usually do 30 mins at a time on it, averaging between 12-15mph. I go on it around 4 times a week.

As I say, cycling is one of my main forms of exercise. I also walk 3 miles a day (to work and back), swim for 30 mins once a week and do a couple of 45 minute aerobics workouts a week. I watch what I eat and log my food religiously to keep to my calorie goal.

I usually lose 1 or 2lbs a week.

I think possibly you need to increase the amount of time you are cycling, and if you can try to increase your speed a bit. Cycling is a great form of exercise, but like everything the harder you work the more results you get.