Hungry before and after breakfast.

Options
I've seen a few topics related to this...issue before but I can't find them so I thought I'd ask the question myself.

As the title says, I'm pretty hungry in the morning. I'm always hungry when I wake up, so obviously I have some breakfast. But then after my breakfast, no matter how big or small it is or how long I wait afterwards, I'm still hungry. I plan what I'm probably going to eat in the morning so I already know what's to come but I seem to end up eating the majority of my snacks after my breakfast. I've tried eggs, porridge, bagels, fruit, yoghurt, muffins and pretty much every other breakfast idea going. Absolutely naff all fills me up and no matter how long I wait afterwards (you know, half an hour to an hour) I'm still hungry!

Is there a way to get rid of this annoying phenomenon?

Replies

• AndreaGrace29
    AndreaGrace29 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking anything? It's been said to drink lots of water and that will help fill you up, but I always have coffee or tea in the morning, and that will hold me over for about an hour or so. Then I eat something small again, like a fiber bar, or a bowl of watermelon. I eat every couple of hours during the morning and afternoon anyways, and the fluids do help a lot. But I've noticed that since I started eating breakfast, I do get hungrier sooner. I decided not to fight it, and just started eating small things throughout the day.
  • FitGma63
    FitGma63 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat Egg Whites with cheese every morning and can wait at least 3 hours before I get hungry again. If I eat cereal, I'm hungry sooner. I've tried it, tested it, and every time I realize that eggs (protein) stays longer.
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Have a lot of protein for breakfast. It's supposed to keep you full longer.. It's the only thing that helps me. I am the same way!
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Maybe set your food up so you can have something later at night. What time do you quit eating?
    All the theories about when to eat are so controversial. Do what works for you. And like the person
    above make sure you're drinking enough. Lots of people drink warm water with lemon first thing.
    Try a few different things. Something will work.
  • sarah5423
    sarah5423 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I posted something similar a while back and got some amazing responses. Like you I have tried all different types of foods, protein, carbs etc for breakfast and I would be constantly hungry. The suggestions I've taken and used are that I don't eat breakfast as soon as I get up, I now have coffee, take the dog for a walk, drive to work, get myself organised for the day, drink over half a litre of water by this time, another coffee and eat my breakfast by about 9.30am at the latest ( I get up at 6.30am) I then split my day calories to cover 4 meals/snacks, I.e breakfast at 9.30 which is normally overnight oats with berries, apple and pear, then say 11.30 some carrot sticks with reduced fat Philadelphia cream cheese, lunch at 1.30 normally chicken with salad or veggies / tuna wrap etc and finally about 3.30 some strawberries with no fat vanilla yoghurt. I do get hungry in between these but I know I have no more than 2 hours before my next meal/snack. Also if Im in the middle of something I'll keep going until that's done which pushes my times out further. Not sure if this will help but add as much protein where you can, eat little and often and see if it makes a difference! Best of luck!
  • tt_garner
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've found that if I make my breakfast higher in protein and I also make my breakfast my big meal of the day, this helps to get me through to lunch. If I don't do this, then I eat early and I'm starving again by 9:30.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    How many eggs have you tried in the past? About how many calories is your average breakfast, and how much protein?

I'm a big morning eater too (I also workout early, before breakfast), and usually have breakfast around 8:00, and am ready for lunch or a substantial snack by 11:00 or so.

My typical breakfast is either two eggs, whole wheat toast & black coffee, and sometimes a piece of fruit, OR oatmeal mixed with plain Greek yogurt (for protein, a lot of folks add peanut butter), fresh fruit, some walnuts and a drizzle of honey. Both breakfasts are 300-400 calories with 15-24 grams of protein, depending on the day. Some days I add an extra egg, or more yogurt or whatever if I'm really hungry or had a bigger workout that morning.

Don't be afraid to eat bigger portions in the morning - you've got all day to burn through it. :bigsmile:
  • skinnylion
    Options
    Just eat a lot in the mornings if that's the time when you need food the most! Adjust your diet to accommodate smaller dinners and then you will feel more satisfied earlier in the day.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    drink a glass of water first thing when you get up. Drink another after you finish breakfast. The same thing was happening to me and the water really helped a lot. Also, I eat six meals a day which means I'm eating every 2-3 hours. Putting yourself on a timed eating schedule will also help you keep from snacking. If you just can't seem to wait, try ONE serving size of whole, natural almonds (no salt, etc...)

one more thing.... eat a protein and a complex carb for breakfast!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Are you eating half your body weight in protein grams? That has made such a difference for me. I eat a lot of eggs- usually a combination of eggs and egg whites. I would also try eating a good amount of protein at dinner- it will help stabilize things over night. It is good to wake up hungry, if you don't it could mean you are eating to much before bed when your body doesn't need all the extra fuel. However, if you are waking up starving, I know how annoying that is. Also, make sure you aren't eating to many simple carbs and sugars. Your body is going to burn through those a lot faster and make you bottom out. Protein is more of a slow, even burn. Try 1 whole egg and 2-4 egg whites and 32 ounces of water for breakfast.
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry at all in the morning. What I do is drink 2-3 glasses of water on an empty stomach as soon as I wake up. Maybe that's the reason why I don't feel like having a huge breakfast. Try that for a week or so and see how it works. Drinking lots of water definitely can't hurt ;-)
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    Tray adding some good fat with your breakfast. Nuts for example
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    There is a theory and school of thought that eating early does make some ppl hungrier for the day. Some ppl battle this by doing intermitent fasting and I have considered looking further in to this because I find that when I eat too early- no matter what and how much the rest of the day I can never fill up and struggle to make good choices and not over do it. If I just do coffee and water for 2 or 3 hours after waking AND THEN eat- I am full and go the rest of the day with a normal appitite. Its weird how eating can make me hungry- I know it makes no sense- but I have learned to fix it in a way that works for me.

Maybe some research in to what I am talking about. Id offer more but I admit Im not that knowlegable about this particular subject at this time.