Extreme Couponers

Options
aholly70
aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone does couponing.I'm extreme couponer I spend 15 to 20 hrs a week or more on it, but it's worth it for the saving.So my diet goes around what I buy,We have double coupon on certain days tha'ts when I go.I don't buy anything without a coupon.I save between 50 to 70% on my food bill.I once payed only 40.00 dollars for 150.00 dollars of food.I use a couponn for almost everything,discounts on clothes,ink & it goes on.
Was just wondering could come friends & help each with this and how we eat around to lose weight or just for support.when you add me let me know it's from this post,just so i know.

Replies

• Theresal77
    Theresal77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I try to be a couponer as much as possible, I wouldn't say I am an extreme couponer, but I do try my best. I would say I spend about 2 to 3 hours clipping per week or adding them to my "cards" I haven't be able to find a store in my area that allows me to do double coupons. I am on the west coast, and currently unemployed so every little bit helps.

Feel free to add me.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I coupon, but i dont say extreme couponing because of 'that show'. I coupon to help my family of 3 and my inlaws family of 3, 4 of us are disabled. Its the only way i can make it thru a month and feed everyone and buy shampoo/toilet paper etc. Couponing helps make things cheaper than aldi or generics so its worth my time and effort.

I also stockpile food and hba items, so when things arent on sale, i dont buy them. i can my own food, dehydrate and store things, make my own bread, pizza crust, etc so that helps with costs.

I always make sure i coupon ethically, use the coupons correctly, on the correct products according to the coupon and store policies. I only belong to coupon sites that promote the same type of coupon usage. If we use coupons wrong, we will find lower value coupons for awhile, just as happened the last couple years since 'that show'.

which fyi, 'that show' had LOTS of coupon fraud which hurt couponers everywhere.
  • dangitsjill
    dangitsjill Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like to coupon. I don't spend as much time as you all, but I'm also new to it.
    I'd love tips/tricks on how to coupon better.

Feel free to add me :)
  • bestdaysahead
    bestdaysahead Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I also try to save money by couponing. I send my expired coupons to the military families overseas where they have the luxury of using coupons up to three months past the expiration date.
    I never buy anything we don't use, unless it is something new we want to try out, and I never have stockpiled on certain items that would seem impossible for my family to use within a certain time.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
  • aholly70
    Options
    I do stockpile i have a food store in my basement,i do can and make alot of things myself,My husband is over road truck driver & i'm a stay at mom & housewife,I love finding deals.My husband at times get free stuff though work cuz it's damage.yesterday i gots free it was awesome.My 24 yrs old son when he visits he goes shopping.I have 2 frezers & 2 fridges.My husband has built me shelves in basement and needs to build me some more,i give to food pantrys also.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I like to coupon. I don't spend as much time as you all, but I'm also new to it.
    I'd love tips/tricks on how to coupon better.

Feel free to add me :)
    this lol
  • webdaughter
    webdaughter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I like to coupon but have not figured out a way to get super good at it yet. It would be fun to have a group on here that we could share tips and ticks!!
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't extreme coupon but I use them on the things I buy regularly. Giant eagle gives frequent coupons out. I do 95% of the grocery shopping there because it is less than a mile away from my home. I save a ton of money on gas that way and earn the fuel perks. I buy gift cards from there as well for retail stores as well and earn additional fuel perks. I have saved this year over $1000.00 on gas and about $1200.00 using the food perks it works for me and my family
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Anybody here a CANADIAN couponer? We can't do it here like you Amereicans. Every single coupon has a 'one coupon per customer per trip' catch. Would love to know if it's possible to save even 25% in Canada!
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    I always make sure i coupon ethically, use the coupons correctly, on the correct products according to the coupon and store policies. I only belong to coupon sites that promote the same type of coupon usage. If we use coupons wrong, we will find lower value coupons for awhile, just as happened the last couple years since 'that show'.

which fyi, 'that show' had LOTS of coupon fraud which hurt couponers everywhere.

That show certainly made the fraud MUCH worse, but even before the show aired I was witnessing the deals and store policies get tighter. CVS is a prime example of how the few ruined it for the many. They used to have FREE deals with limits of 5. That wasn't good enough for some. They had to get store cards for their dog, cat, uncle that doesn't exist, etc. etc. I would see stockpile pictures posted daily from them. It was disgusting. Even got stuck in line behind a few local scumbags. Some cashiers could care less about rules and would ring them up with multiple transactions & multiple cards.

Now you are lucky if there is a single FREE item in their ad, and if there is it is almost always limit one.

I have done pretty well with legit coupon use, but would never consider myself an "extreme couponer" and never want to. People watch that show and are amazed by what they see, but that is not reality in MOST stores. Not a single store in my area would allow for that type of abuse. My store of choice has a limit 3 on any particular coupon. So no wheeling carts of toothbrushes out the door.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'm rather curious about your couponing, I'd like to use coupons for the few packaged foods I do buy (like canned tomatoes and chicken broth, etc)
    It'd be awesome to save money lol
  • aholly70
    Options
    I think it would be great to get a group going on here also.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Anybody here a CANADIAN couponer? We can't do it here like you Amereicans. Every single coupon has a 'one coupon per customer per trip' catch. Would love to know if it's possible to save even 25% in Canada!

On facebook, search extremecouponingmom. She claims to get similar deals to Americans through her couponing and frequently posts coupons to her feed. While I'm definitely not an extreme coupon-er, I like coupons where I can get them.

edit: I am no way affiliated with that lady. I just like her coupons.
  • aholly70
    Options
    I just want you to know I started blog,called coupners/ or what to learn
  • Tanig32
    Tanig32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have been couponing for over two years and i love it, i am also into getting freebies and entering sweepstakes , and now that dollar tree takes coupons i really get some good stuff.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    In the past, a long time ago, I tried couponing, but found that the coupons were mostly for processed foods and high priced items that I could get cheaper as generic. Maybe things have changed since then.

I never understood the concept of hoarding from extreme couponing. I feel that so much of that stuff could be donated instead of hoarded. If a person is getting the stuff for next to nothing, and it is just sitting in storage, why not put it to good use?
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I used to use a lot of coupons but once I started buying healthier foods I have noticed there aren't as many coupons for the kind of food I buy. I found price matching is better for what I need. I'm always price matching. But I too believe in full honesty. I don't stockpile. Fresh food doesn't hold well.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump
  • emtb319
    Options
    I refuse to call myself an extreme couponer because of the show. It gives all couponers such a bad name and rep. Blatant coupon abuse and misuse and the show still goes on!

I do coupon a lot for mostly non food things. It's nice to not have to worry about certain items every week or every month. And I love having things on hand when someone I know needs it. Heck, some of my stockpile was given to my sister's volunteer first aid squad a few weeks back.