Best compliment?

Options
stephc0711
stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
In contrast to the thread about polite insults, I'm curious about your best compliment!

I draw blood for a living, and I told a patient one day whlie drawing his blood that I was sorry if I talk too much, it's just that I try really hard to make the experience as pleasant for people as possible by making them laugh. He told me that I did an excellent job of it, and he actually enjoyed having his blood drawn by me. It was nice! :)

Replies

• AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anyone telling me that they like me or think I am cool, and are genuine. That is the best compliment to me. For a long time I didn't think I was liked or that I could be considered cool, now that I talk to new people it makes me feel really happy that I am actually liked and can make a difference in how someone is feeling that day.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Apparently no one else gets compliments?
  • stephc0711
    Options
    LOL, I guess not... :(
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    I was in the car with my 7 year old son and a commercial came on the radio and part of the commercial said "if you want to get healthy" or something to that effect and my son says: "Mama, you don't need to waste your money on that you're being healthy on your own"

I totally cried!
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I had a patient once tell me that I was the kindest, most beautiful nurse she had ever had. It actually made me tear up.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    When people find out I play derby and think it's uber cool and awesome. I LOVE it when I'm wearing my league jacket (boo to summer coming along) and people stop me in public to ask me questions. It makes me feel on top of the world. Even the shy ones who just whisper (I can hear yoooooou hehe) make me feel really awesome.

When people tell me I'm a joy to have around at work because I break the tension and am honest.

I got told one of the best things about me recently was that fact I don't care what others think about me (some people I do) and don't try and conform with an ideal. I do what I like even when people put me down. I'm not hurting anyone so bleh :tongue: I try really hard just to focus on the important people who will be directly impacted by my actions and it's nice to know that people see that!
  • arellolson
    arellolson Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My husband was so cute. We were out to dinner one night a few years ago and he could not seem to stop kissing me and hugging me. He has always been affectionate, but it was kind of crazy that time. He said, "You are just so pretty! You are so pretty." I don't know why, but it really touched me.

He recently did it again last week. I had on this lime green t-shirt (I tend to wear a lot of black and a lot of gray) and he kept grabbing me and hugging me. Again, he said, "You are so pretty. You look so cute in that t-shirt!"

I loved it.
  • kimberlyaspen
    Options
    I like appearance compliments, like "you're really pretty!" & the like, but actually, sports compliments affect me more. Like, after a volleyball game or something, if someone says, "Good job! You played really well!" or "Nice serves!", those "boost" me more than appearance-type things.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    The best was in the weight room, a guy came over to me and said "Are you training for something? You lift heavy as ****!"

Oh and second best was when a super fit guy I was into spontaneously said I have an amazing *kitten*. Go go squats :)
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    After class at the gym the other day, the instructor came up to me after class and gave a high five and told me my form for push ups was awesome!
  • stephc0711
    Options
    Those are some awesome compliments! :)
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My boss (principal) told me, after sitting in on a meeting with a parent and his naughty kid, "I wish my son had a teacher like you." I still think about that 20+ years later!
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I was told from a few familes that I have helped them through the darkest time in their lives...I mentor families who have children born with the same birth defect that my daughter was born with...the children's hospital gives out my name/number so I can let them know what to expect from surgery through a parent's point of view.
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I'm a social worker/counselor... and so there have been many times that people have thanked me for what I do but 2 of those stand out. Once when I was leaving as a Domestic Violence Counselor - and the women had told each other, people previously there, etc. about my last Support Group. When I went to let the group in - expecting to see the average 12 or so women... the entire waiting room was full - there must have been 24 or more women who had come. They all had gifts and food... but most touching was that I didn't even have to "lead" the group - because they one by one started telling their stories and the role that I played in changing their lives, one of them had even written a song and played it on her guitar. It was touching and an evening full of tears as I listened to each of them - hearing them talk about what pieces that they had taken and held on to. And, I knew that they all meant every word that they said. Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it... Another time was just recently - when I helped a couple who had been married for over 60 years. She had cancer and had been doing treatments, but neither she nor her husband were happy about that choice... even though they couldn't verbalize it. I met with him, I met with her and then I met with the two of them and helped them tell each other that they loved each other always but both felt it was time to stop the fighting (fighting cancer) and just enjoy what timei they would have. I also went with them to the Doctor - to talk with him and help guide them in telling him they wanted to stop treatment. The husband was unable to call his boys and tell them about the decision and asked if I would, so I did. And, a day later I called them and told them they needed to come sooner because we weren't sure if she'd make it through Mother's Day. She ended up making it just hours past Mother's Day and died peacefully with her husband by her side... and his first thing? Was to look for me. No one told me - so I ended up in meetings and unable to see him. When I was done, they all said he had been looking for me - which was touching... but when I went to my office there was the sweetest voicemail in the world - that I still have saved to this day. I just couldn't believe that on the day this man lost his best friend, his wife of over 60 years... he took the time to call and thank me. *content sigh* I am truly blessed to get to do the work that I do!

Outside of that? Fitness wise... a man at my gym who conducts assessments to determine people's fitness levels told me the other day that he'd be hard pressed to find anyone in the gym who is more fit than I am (and I'm still HUGE, but I am fit!). And, I had a "gruff coach" who helped motivate me up a volcano in Hawaii - and he was not... when I ended up finishing? He said that he wasn't surprised, he knew that I could do it... which was wonderful because there were some moments that I wasn't sure that I could. I knew that I had someone with this amazing and unending support and belief in me - and I'm not sure I had that before.

Hmph... I like this thread - I feel all warm and fuzzy now! ;)
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I was in the car with my 7 year old son and a commercial came on the radio and part of the commercial said "if you want to get healthy" or something to that effect and my son says: "Mama, you don't need to waste your money on that you're being healthy on your own"

I totally cried!

... I love, love, LOVE this!! And? I teared up a little reading it too... That's so sweet and shows that you are modeling wll for that little boy of yours. :)
  • Peezy4President
    Peezy4President Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    when i put a woman to sleep, and she makes me breakfast in the morning.. Thats a great compliment.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    When I was a teenager, strangers would stop me on the street and tell me how beautiful I was. That was a long time ago and nobody has said that for years. About a month ago, after I made some life changes and lost about 25 lb, I was interviewing a new student from Korea and, at the end, I asked her if she had any questions for me. She said, "You are very beautiful. I love your face. I love American face. Very beautiful." It had been so long since anyone said that, I am sorry to say I made a face and laughed. She was probably really insulted. After the initial shock wore off, I told her thank you and I felt like my face was red. Since then, I've felt prettier and have been giving more attention to my appearance and I have heard those words more and more in the past few weeks. :D
  • ramonasowner
    ramonasowner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse,I have a lot of elderly clients. you can't trade a complement from a man with triple your life span experience. When they tell you you're pretty they want nothing from you and they mean it.
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and I think in our profession when you are caring and advocating for people who maybe aren't at their best just then, especially if you love your job, you sincerely care and it shows, you do tend to get some really meaningful compliments, and those get you thru the awful, sad and often nasty parts of the job. And they are wonderful.

But I have hated my body my whole life, especially my legs, and yesterday some handsome random MFP guy PM'd me just to tell me my legs were beautiful and that if anyone ever said otherwise he'd defend them being beautiful and I srsly teared up. I'm pretty invisible around here and so while I know it's completely shallow, that was probably my favorite compliment ever lol.