Meal replacement shakes

Options
Anyone tried meal replacement shakes? Which ones are the best? Did you have success? I am considering trying it but not sure.

Hoping someone has some advice. Thanks!!

Replies

• dannigirl1
    Options
    I use total lean- lean shakes, the premixed ones. i got them as a free sample from GNC. they also come in a power form. i did alot of research before i started using them. Alot of people say they are the best tasting stuff they have tried. i drink the Valina bean but they also come in strawberry and chocolate. you can do alot with them just look online and read reviews
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    You can do a search on this topic for lots of discussion. As for me and quite a few others here, eat real food. I love food. I don't want to drink all my calories. And it is not sustainable for life or educational in teaching you how to eat.
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I do. I use Herbalife myself but there are a lot of kinds. I like it because I don't like to eat in the morning. I can get a shake down easier than food. I use one at night for a bedtime snack too. Even if I didn't use Heralife I would use some kind of protein shake because I like to have a good amount of protein in my diet. I use a protein drink after lifting for instance.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You can do a search on this topic for lots of discussion. As for me and quite a few others here, eat real food. I love food. I don't want to drink all my calories. And it is not sustainable for life or educational in teaching you how to eat.

absolutely, you use meal replacements then what happens when you come off you put it all back on.
  • jfatheree78
    jfatheree78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology. It's all natural and tastes good. A little pricey but I think it's worth it.
  • LacieW85
    LacieW85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology. It's a powder that you mix, but you can add in fruits, vegetables, milk, whatever you like. It's loaded with vitamins and nutrients, so it's really healthy for you. Plus, it's delicious and there are 3 flavors to choose from: greenberry, tropical strawberry, and chocolate.
  • sionnain
    Options
    I was using Herbalife which is great and the yummiest I've encountered. I'm vegan now though so I can only use the allergen free blend (which tastes like canned peas, IMO) and MAYBE the kosher kind. So I've since gotten this instead:

http://www.nutribiotic.com/rice-protein-spectrum-shake-20oz.html

which is pretty good - does have a bit of a chalky aftertaste but goes great with a frozen banana blended into almond dark chocolate milk.

I also got this:

http://www.herbspro.com/shop/productdetail.asp?ptid=82134&utm_source=Googlebase&utm_medium=Feed&gclid=COCt2NKEzLICFXSSPAodVkoAUw

Which is definitely more RAW tasting and might be better with fruits and greens.

I like them. They're quick, easy, and fill you up, no problem.
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The hardest part of the weight loss process is keeping the weight off. I am not sure I understand how supplementing real food for liquid calories educates you in portion size, or making healthy choices............
  • hellnokitty
    hellnokitty Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've had friends who've used them when trying to gain muscle, but apart from that I don't really see the point of them- they don't fill you up; so it's basically just an expensive way to consume loads of calories without the enjoyment of actual food.
  • bowser625
    bowser625 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have been using Slimfast for about a month now. But I figured out that as long as you eat about 200 calories for breakfast and lunch, and then 100 calorie snacks after breakfast and after lunch and at the end of the day-you can "wean" yourself off the replacement shakes. And you have to watch what you eat for dinner and just portion out everything!

I will stop drinking Slimfast in a couple weeks when I get down to my goal weight. Then I will replace those calories with real food again! :)
  • jfatheree78
    jfatheree78 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Every time there is one of these threads there are the slew of comments about how you shouldn't drink meal replacements and blah blah blah. I don't believe the OP was asking if she SHOULD drink them, she was asking for opinions from those that DO drink them. There is nothing wrong with drinking a meal replacement shake if that's what you choose to do. If you are using a healthy one, there's no reason you can't drink it the rest of your life if you want to. If you are learning portion control and healthy eatting then you won't gain back the weight when you stop drinking them. You continue to eat sensibly, staying in your calorie goals.

When someone asks for an opinion about wether or not to drink them, then feel free to preach about how much of a waste you think they are, but when someone is asking about opinions from those who actually drink them - move on and let those people share their opinions.

I'm sorry, but I get so tired of the negativity every time someone posts about nutritional shakes.
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    I read on here many times and also hard Bob Harper talk about drinking your calories. I use to drink lots of sweet tea and sodas and sometime only eat 2 big meals. Now I am eating more sensible ,no sodas or no tea and I do drink slim fast atleast one meal- most of time. But I try to stay 1200-1600 cals a day.

I find that there is no prob with meal replacement shakes. Atleast they aren't empty calories.
  • SamAdams125
    SamAdams125 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I drink an IsaLean Pro shake from Isagenix after my workouts (super high protein and counts as a full meal) and I drink Shakeology for dessert every night for all the fruit/veggie nutrition it supplies. That said, I eat 6 times a day so the other four meals are "real" food. I also sell both products so I get them at a discount which is helpful :) I consume around 1600-2000 cals a day and have lost 15.4 pounds in 9 weeks so I'm happy :)
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes, sometimes in placement of a meal if I'm in a rush or lazy lol.
    I use Maxitone.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    The skim fast shakes are tasty and filling.
    They come in powder form or ready to drink in bottles.
    They are reasonable priced too.
    They are great if you want something quick without having to worry about too many calories x
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Every time there is one of these threads there are the slew of comments about how you shouldn't drink meal replacements and blah blah blah. I don't believe the OP was asking if she SHOULD drink them, she was asking for opinions from those that DO drink them. There is nothing wrong with drinking a meal replacement shake if that's what you choose to do. If you are using a healthy one, there's no reason you can't drink it the rest of your life if you want to. If you are learning portion control and healthy eatting then you won't gain back the weight when you stop drinking them. You continue to eat sensibly, staying in your calorie goals.

When someone asks for an opinion about wether or not to drink them, then feel free to preach about how much of a waste you think they are, but when someone is asking about opinions from those who actually drink them - move on and let those people share their opinions.

I'm sorry, but I get so tired of the negativity every time someone posts about nutritional shakes.

I agree Hun.
    I don't have shakes all the time but they certainly help me on those days where I've not planned my meals or need something quick x
  • NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    I eat the meal replacement bars. I cant stand the texture/taste of the shakes. The bars are AWESOME!

Special K- Double chocolate peanut butter protein bars :) YUM YUM!
    Cheapest place Ive found them is at Walmart(in protein/vitamin section) its like 6 bars for 5.00 or you can get them from Sam's club 48 bars for 16.98 (online price)

but my dr has recommend (a while ago) the EAS rich chocolate kind. It taste like a yoohoo, but I cant get past the texture. Its like drinking cake mix
  • tonyamariepierce
    tonyamariepierce Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i use body fortress whey protein. its a really good price, i find it for under $15 at walmart. there is several flavors and they are very good tasting. 26 grams of protein per scoop and 140 calories. i recommend them to all my clients. i am a personal trainer and i carry samples on me .
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options

Yeah-it's-off topic,actually..

and annoying--if you--came on the thread, to glean name-brands of effective shakes or if they suck!
    ---so, thanks for that!

While I am in the losing weight-phase of my fitness--I am looking to use at least one shake a day.
    So I am on the thread to learn about more. Bumping for more answers.
  • meglet175
    Options
    I love healthy homemade protein shakes and have one for breakfast each day. Mornings are crazy for me as I am getting kids off to school and myself to work, so I load the blender with dry ingredients before bed, then add milk, frozen fruit, whatever, in the morning, whirr away for a few seconds, pour into a tall glass, and head out the door, glass in hand! I sip it slowly during my 20 minute drive to work, and it keeps me satisfied for 3 or 4 hours. I use a few different recipes - banana PB chocolate, or vanilla mixed berry, or almond butter mocha...

Drinking empty calories like a Coke or sweet tea is NOT equivalent to drinking a shake loaded with protein, nutrients, and fiber! My homemade shakes are creamy and delicious, and using frozen fruit and/or crushed ice makes them thick like milkshakes. I don't buy premade shakes - I want to control the contents and avoid questionable ingredients (like corn syrup!). So - if you don't find a premade one that fits the bill, or if they are prohibitively expensive, consider buying a tub of protein powder and big bags of frozen fruit at Sam's Club like I do and make your own. Variety is the spice of life!