It's Plateau time... What am I doing wrong?

guerinusa
guerinusa Posts: 14 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi Everybody...
First time I post, but I figured out that we all need to help each others!
I have been seriously dieting + exercising with MFP (Thanks to my Iphone !!!) since January 1st (another new year's resolution) and lost almost 25 Lbs since... But I have been on a plateau around 231-233 lbs for almost 2 weeks... I do my best not to eat too much (maybe not enough) and exercise almost 7 days a week (usually 30 to 40 mn of eleptical and 15 to 30 minutes of swimming + some strength exercise...mostly abs...I am not too much into weight lifting...maybe I should).

As I did not get enough proteins, I started to take a little bit of protein shakes after exercising and before bedtime (Syntha-6) but need to break the plateau to at least go quickly under 227 LBS (I will then be "officialy" no longer Obese !!!!) then under 220 LBS which is a symbolic level as it corresponds to 100 Kgs (I am French and this is a magical number !)

I will be happy to get help from anybody...my dairy is open to anybody to check it and it's pretty accurate ... and If another man with similar profile wants to be my "losing weight body" I would be very happy to share my quest to "weight happiness"

Thanks

Replies

• beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    I've heard that the best thing to do for a plauteau is to change your exercise routine for a few weeks.... but I don't remember where I heard that.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    i hit a major plateau these last few months and what helped me is to switch up my workout routine so instead of using all free weights or machines i rotate between them - or when bench pressing i use the bar with weights now when i was using free weights if i don't have my dh there to spot i use free weights - just do somthing diffrently then what you have been doing. Instead of doing the treadmill everyday use an eliptical or bike and rotate btwn them different dy . and to adjust my diet eat some different foods.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    The above poster is right try changing up your routine every 4-6 weeks so your body can't adapt. I would also change your diary by going to settings change, custom and change your protein and carb %. You seem to be way over on protein and under on carbs (not a bad thing) but just change your diary to reflect this. The other thing I would do is eat a much larger breakfast to kick start you metabolism, and make sure you eat back all, or at least most, of you exercise calories.

I eat about 2000 cal/day and my breakfast is usually around 250-400, maybe eat 15-25% of your calories for breakfast. Adding in resistant training will make a difference as well as the more lean muscle you have the more cals you burn, even at rest. Good luck.
  • guerinusa
    Ouahhh... This site is great! I already get answers...Thanks to all of you and especially to Ericklrb for helping me correcting my diet...What level should I set my proteins at ? For my protein level, I used to always be under but I read that I needed to fuel my body with proteins for my workout to be efficient... That's how I started the shakes! Thanks for the breakfast... I have always had tea + a yogurt, obviously not enough!!!! Any suggestions that does not imply any cooking (I am not into eggs..etc...)?
    Thanks
  • Yes, all the responders are giving you great advice!! Definitely change your workout! Also, try to add weight training. This helps you burn more calories at rest since muscle takes more calories than fat. Keep getting the right number of calories each day. Good luck!
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Besides changing your workout (and maybe with that having some days off from working out to let your body rest), I would suggest tracking some other things on your diary. Two things that I am tracking now are fiber and sodium and I think working at getting that fiber higher and that sodium lower has really helped me. I am female so it's different but for me I am going 35 grams fiber everyday and trying to stay at 1500 for sodium. I would love to see if you had those listed how those have been for these past few weeks. Good luck to you! You are already doing a great job!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Ouahhh... This site is great! I already get answers...Thanks to all of you and especially to Ericklrb for helping me correcting my diet...What level should I set my proteins at ? For my protein level, I used to always be under but I read that I needed to fuel my body with proteins for my workout to be efficient... That's how I started the shakes! Thanks for the breakfast... I have always had tea + a yogurt, obviously not enough!!!! Any suggestions that does not imply any cooking (I am not into eggs..etc...)?
    Thanks

I only increased my protein by 5% with the 5% reduction in Carbs, you can play around with it and see what works for you, but a 5% change may be a good starting place.

An example of what I would consider a good breakfast would be: Whole wheat toast with peanut butter with a side of yogurt, and maybe throw in a banana.
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Some breakfast ideas...

How about a slice of toasted bread with peanut butter and a banana, or almond butter and some apple ?
    Oat meal (du gruau, des flocons d'avoine en bon français :) with cranberries
    Fruit smoothie with some dessert tofu, of even your protein powder
  • guerinusa
    Besides changing your workout (and maybe with that having some days off from working out to let your body rest), I would suggest tracking some other things on your diary. Two things that I am tracking now are fiber and sodium and I think working at getting that fiber higher and that sodium lower has really helped me. I am female so it's different but for me I am going 35 grams fiber everyday and trying to stay at 1500 for sodium. I would love to see if you had those listed how those have been for these past few weeks. Good luck to you! You are already doing a great job!

I have posted my Sodium and fiber level... It looks like I may need more fiber, but sodium seems OK.
  • guerinusa
    Thanks

I only increased my protein by 5% with the 5% reduction in Carbs, you can play around with it and see what works for you, but a 5% change may be a good starting place.

An example of what I would consider a good breakfast would be: Whole wheat toast with peanut butter with a side of yogurt, and maybe throw in a banana.

Will try the 5%... For the breakfast, I am definitively adding the banana (great also for potassium) and the Oat meal (Thanks gelcko for the French translation).
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    I looked at 7 days of your diary and this one is easy: You're not eating enough.

If you're over 220 lbs and working out as you say, you shouldn't be under at least 2100 cals EVERY DAY. You've stalled out your metabolism. I saw a few days that you ate under 1500 cals. That's not good for a guy your size.
  • guerinusa
    I looked at 7 days of your diary and this one is easy: You're not eating enough.

If you're over 220 lbs and working out as you say, you shouldn't be under at least 2100 cals EVERY DAY. You've stalled out your metabolism. I saw a few days that you ate under 1500 cals. That's not good for a guy your size.

Thanks Ray... I had a feeling that I needed to eat more...But this all Calories counting thing is new to me...and it became a game!!!! It also worked at the beginning, but now it does not.... I just want to be careful and not go for any junk food... I know from another post I did, that I need to boost my breakfast (will do)... Any other suggestions based on what's on my diary?

BTW...Great job on your weight loss !!!!
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Since you asked for it.... maybe should you try to replace some of your daily "empty calories" by healthier food. I know you're French, and wine is a casual drink for French, but it contains quite a bit of calories that do add up in a diet when counting calories but provide no tangible health benefits when trying to lose weight.
  • guerinusa
    Since you asked for it.... maybe should you try to replace some of your daily "empty calories" by healthier food. I know you're French, and wine is a casual drink for French, but it contains quite a bit of calories that do add up in a diet when counting calories but provide no tangible health benefits when trying to lose weight.

Thanks for bringing it up !!!! I know and it's part 2 of my new year's resolution !!!! My doctor allows me 2 glasses of wine a day (red is better) and I tend to go to 3 !!!! Bad.... Especially last night with the superbowl and friends over !!!
  • guerinusa
    Thanks to everybody's help... I reworked my food routine... Larger breakfast, more proteins & Fiber...less wine and 1,500 cal when not working out and 2,000 cal. when working out... Let's see if it works!
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Thanks to everybody's help... I reworked my food routine... Larger breakfast, more proteins & Fiber...less wine and 1,500 cal when not working out and 2,000 cal. when working out... Let's see if it works!

I would be careful - seems like 1500 calories is still too few calories and might continue to hinder your weight lost.
This discussion has been closed.