Workout shoes

Options
Does anyone have any tips for shoes to workout in? Right now I use K Swiss Tubes, and they work pretty well, but I know I'm going to need new shoes soon. What do you guys recommend? Did you go to a specialty store and spend a lot of money, or did you walk into your average sports store and get something affordable that fit well? Did you go for running shoes, cross trainers, or both?

I tried researching this online for ideas, but there's so many different kinds and the opinions are so varied that it just made me more confused.

Replies

• jules11177
    jules11177 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I tried a couple pair of Nikes I had but my feet kinda hurt while exercising. Kelly Ripa always talked about working out in Ryka's so I bought a pair of walking shoes from QVC for $54. They are so comfortable and my feet never hurt afterwards. When I need another pair I will stick with this brand.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have always worn Nikes for running in, but I wear Asics in the gym. They are great, they don't smell out my locker (I previously had a pair of Pumas which did this), and as I bought them from Sports Direct they were relatively inexpensive. I went with Asics as my PT recommended them.
  • HMToomey
    Options
    My main work out is Zumba and I need support for jumps and little tread for turns and I go to classes in different places, one a hospital conference room with a carpeted floor (not ideal but it works for us and the room is big with a kicking sound system) and the other a typical gym with hardwood floors. I went into Bob's and tried shoes on and did some jumps and turns in different shoes till I found ones I liked. I got some looks and more than one employee came up and asked if I needed help (I think they meant straight jacket!) but I found a pair on clearance that work great on both surfaces and they are hot pink and cute too! =)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Because my current workout is power walking, (and I'm hoping to be a runner by this time next year!!), I went to a running store to be fitted for proper shoes. They analyzed how I walk and chose New Balance runners for me. I never would have picked them on my own - but they have turned out to be perfect for ME.

Depending on what type of workout you are doing, it may be worth getting fitted for what is best for YOUR feet. Good luck - comfortable shoes are awesome!
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get into running and I needed new shoes so for the first time ever I went the expensive way. I went to the specialty store and bought running shoes. OMG I will NEVER go back. I have never owned a pair of shoes that I have not blistered in (usually going less than 3 miles). I now run/walk 3 miles 6 days a week and my feet are never sore and I don't blister (even during the break in period).
  • kim8306
    Options
    Personally I went to a specialty store for the purpose of getting fitted. (best decision ever) I purchased my first pair from the store (100+), however I purchased the 2nd pair (same shoe-1/2 the price) much cheaper online! This is an investment and you won't regret making this decision. Best of luck to you! :)
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, everyone, keep 'em coming! I guess I'm torn about what to get because my workouts are so varied. I do strength training through workout videos, I run occasionally, and I do plyometrics. I need a pair that can support explosive movement and also keep me comfortable running long distances. I don't know if I can get all that in one pair of shoes, but I'd really hate to spend double the money and buy two. :(
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    All summer I've been walking in flipflops. Probably not the best to be doing but my feet were more comfortable with them. During work outs like the elliptical I go barefoot because for some reason whenever I wear shoes my feet feel like their on fire so I wind up chucking them after 5min anyway. I guess I'm kind of in the same boat as you now that its getting colder out I want to look for some real shoes. Will be hard to walk in flipflops in snow and single digit temperatures. I'm thinking of just going to the store and picking out what fits well with my feet since I can't afford to get fitted or at least buying those sole inserts for extra comfort. I hear Dr. Scholls offers a good variety.
  • saratogaaileen
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, everyone, keep 'em coming! I guess I'm torn about what to get because my workouts are so varied. I do strength training through workout videos, I run occasionally, and I do plyometrics. I need a pair that can support explosive movement and also keep me comfortable running long distances. I don't know if I can get all that in one pair of shoes, but I'd really hate to spend double the money and buy two. :(

But if you buy two "specific" pairs they will last twice as long and protect you far more than one generalised pair. A short term cost for a long term investment :wink:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i have a few different footwear options

running : running shoes. i'll soon be buying some brooks pure connect

weight lifting : i usually do this in my socks since i lift heavy and shoes throw off my balance. especially when i'm doing olympic lifts. i plan on getting some chuck's for this

i'm trying to figure out what type of shoe i'd need for crossfit since i'll be starting soon.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I pretty much swear by my Asics, reasonably priced, light and comfortable.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I have the either hated or loved sketchers shaape ups and I LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM. These are the ONLY shoes I have ever had that don't hurt my feet when I take out on a 4 mile walk/run...plus wore them to zumba for the first time last week and holy crap I didn't know I could get that high in the air!!
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Buy two...I went to a specialty store & got fitted so now I know I'm a Brooks girl (high arch.) I have a pair for boot camp & a different pair for trails. I'm glad I spent the extra time & money to find the right shoes.

It's about more than just having comfortable feet - a professional fitter is also concerned with your knees, posture, gait, etc.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Nike running trainers for C25k and I wear plimsols or Chucks when lifting :smile:
  • HMToomey
    Options
    I pretty much swear by my Asics, reasonably priced, light and comfortable.

There are some really pretty colored Asics out there right now!! I need an everyday pair of kicks and I might go with Asics just for the fun colors!!
  • annelucy
    Options
    Skechers get my vote too, use them for everything - walking (9+ miles at a go now), comfortable on my feet - a must as I have psoriasis on the soles, and also can do jacks etc with out jarring my knees.
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    First, the type of shoe you want will depend on what your exercise types are. I used to almost always buy nike running shoes. Now I primarily do circuit workouts and dance workouts. I wanted shoes with a more flexible sole so I could do my dance workouts a little easier but I didn't want to buy dance shoes that I couldnt use for my circuit training as well. I went to the local shoe carnival and spent several hours trying on almost every pair of shoes they had. I came out with a pair that I absolutely LOVE and would buy in bulk if i had the money to do so lol. These are the shoes I bought.... ADIDAS Aerate STYLE # 76810. I have a very high arch and very bony feet. One thing I noticed right away with these is that the tongue does not irritate the bony tops of my feet like most shoes do. I think this is in part because the shoes don't have thick padded tongues like some do. I also like that the laces go further around the foot than many do and, therefore, I can tighten them as much or little as I need to depending on foot swelling, workout type, etc. They are also VERY lightweight. I put a pair of my nike's on the other day and they felt like having bricks on my feet because they were so heavy in comparison. The one drawback to these is that they are very airy to allow sweat to dry, etc. Only problem is if you are running through water puddles, there are little air holes in the bottom....Just a thought...again keep your shoe purpose in mind.

One thing I do is I don't usually wear my workout shoes for anything but working out, even though I love them and would love to wear them all the time. I believe this has helped keep them in top shape longer, and has kept the insole and footbed from wearing differently from the way I walk vs the foot position when I workout.

All in all, find the brand and type that works for you. For example, I know a lot of people that LOVE New Balance shoes. I absolutely cannot wear them and have never been able to do so. THey don't fit my foot shape ( mostly because of my high arch, I think). I think that everyone can find a pair of great shoes that will work for them without paying an arm and a leg or special ordering if they have the patience. Good luck!
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I am a Nike girl, but I believe this totally depends on your feet. I have very wide feet and Nike fits me the best. Some girls I train with love new balance and others swear by Asics.

Don't rush the buying, try on lots, be prepared to return a pair. Once you find a brand you like it will be totally worth it.