Has Yur Goal Changed? & To What?

Options
Biggest 222lbs
Smallest 150lbs
Currently 188lbs.
Goal ?????????? healthy/fit...

I had always had it in my head 150!!,was the best I 4 me,...now not so sure,.....(5'3)...but I already fit into my smallest jeans in the closet! ,..is 150 too big?,I see these pics of 5'3 ladies going from 200 to 140 or less & they look great!,...have you changed yur goal??,..was it hard to wrap yur brain around?....maybe what i see in the mirrior has'nt clicked yet in my brain..ya know?cause just holding up my smallest jeans(size 14 miss)....it looks impossible that they'l actually fit,..but they go on like i've always worn them...am 188,.....what do you think would be a healthy goal?

Replies

• InHisTime48
    InHisTime48 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'3 and my current goal is 165. I'm 48 and just hit 190!! Yay me :wink: Anyway - when I hit the 165 mark, I will see how I feel and if I feel I should keep going - I will set a new goal at that time. My thought was - don't go drastic right now and set myself up for failure. Small bites!
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Do you mean your ULTIMATE goal is 150? Because that is actually considered overweight for someone our height. Just thought I'd let you know, but it's totally your call if you think you are happy at that weight.

I'm also 5'3" and I actually started my weight loss journey at 151lbs... I have quite a small frame though so being that heavy doesn't suit me. If you are bigger boned than me you might look perfect at that size, I can only speak for myself.:)

My original goal was 120lbs, but I'm at 125lbs right now and I don't think I'll be quite happy with myself at 120 so I'm tentatively going for 115. I'll see how I feel as I go along though, I might decide I look fine before I get there.
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Do you mean your ULTIMATE goal is 150? Because that is actually considered overweight for someone our height. Just thought I'd let you know, but it's totally your call if you think you are happy at that weight.

Only according to BMI, which is a flawed system.

And yes OP, I think may of us adjust our goals as we move down the scale. It might be a new weight goal, or a body fat percentage. Setting smaller goals give us motivation to go on - gratz on your progress so far!
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    thank you.
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if I offended either of you, I didn't mean to. You're right, BMI is not perfectly accurate. Muscle weighs more than fat, and it doesn't take into account how much of your weight is lean mass, muscle and fat, so if you're a body-builder/have lots of muscle, BMI doesn't work. However for the average person who isn't physically fit and doesn't have a large amount of muscle, like me, it can be a good starting point for establishing a goal.

However, a better way of establishing a goal may be to use body fat percentage. If you google 'body fat percentage calculator' you can find a site which calculates it for you. The algorithm takes into account your age, gender, height, weight and actual body measurements to tell you how fit you are. For a woman, an appropriate body fat percentage is between 14-31%, with a percentage of more than 31% being considered obese. So it may be a good idea to set your goal as a body fat percentage of 20%, or something, rather than a weight. :)
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    i was'nt offended,...best wishes.
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    Everyone here is looking at "the ultimate goal". I don't look at the "ultimate goal" because it's just too daunting. I started out at 300 lbs. My goal was to hit 250. I did that. Now it's to get past this plateau and work my way down to 225lbs and I WILL get there. Then the next goal can be set and met realistically. The "ultimate goal" is extremely daunting to me and I don't intend to throw myself off anymore by freaking myself out at the distance between where I am and where I'd like to be.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Biggest 222lbs
    Smallest 150lbs
    Currently 188lbs.
    Goal ?????????? healthy/fit...

I had always had it in my head 150!!,was the best I 4 me,...now not so sure,.....(5'3)...but I already fit into my smallest jeans in the closet! ,..is 150 too big?,I see these pics of 5'3 ladies going from 200 to 140 or less & they look great!,...have you changed yur goal??,..was it hard to wrap yur brain around?....maybe what i see in the mirrior has'nt clicked yet in my brain..ya know?cause just holding up my smallest jeans(size 14 miss)....it looks impossible that they'l actually fit,..but they go on like i've always worn them...am 188,.....what do you think would be a healthy goal?

I'm 5'3.5" and currently 150, which puts me at a size 6/8. I'm okay with the weight, even though BMI says I'm overweight, but I would prefer a lower body fat... I want that "hint of abs" look... and that's my goal weight. Using my body fat estimations and body fat of fit women, I think that will be around 135 lb for me, with my muscle mass. Your mileage will vary :)
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if I offended either of you, I didn't mean to. You're right, BMI is not perfectly accurate. Muscle weighs more than fat, and it doesn't take into account how much of your weight is lean mass, muscle and fat, so if you're a body-builder/have lots of muscle, BMI doesn't work. However for the average person who isn't physically fit and doesn't have a large amount of muscle, like me, it can be a good starting point for establishing a goal.

However, a better way of establishing a goal may be to use body fat percentage. If you google 'body fat percentage calculator' you can find a site which calculates it for you. The algorithm takes into account your age, gender, height, weight and actual body measurements to tell you how fit you are. For a woman, an appropriate body fat percentage is between 14-31%, with a percentage of more than 31% being considered obese. So it may be a good idea to set your goal as a body fat percentage of 20%, or something, rather than a weight. :)

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm is good for doing the math for you, if you aren't a math lover.

And just to be argumentative, the person I quoted said above something about BMI putting 150 as overweight, which is true, but then here talks about body fat. Body fat is much better. I'm overweight by the BMI chart, but "moderately lean" by body fat, and I'd punch someone in the face (and it would hurt, with my muscles), if they tried to consider me overweight just because BMI said so. I'm not yet as lean as I want to be, but I have a healthy dislike of BMI for trying to tell me I'm fat.