Anyone else stress over going over?

Options

Replies

• Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I need to feel something, again, about going into the red. Thanks for reminding me of the possibility. Have been backsliding, and it wasn't restaurant eating, as much as regressing with my habits at home. Have to focus on a healthier option when I'm feeling job stress!
  • hula808
    hula808 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Try to balance it out a bit by getting your exercise on before you go out to dinner! : )
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    After dinner, maybe you all can find a park and take a nice walk. The kids can run around a bit and the grown-ups can continue chatting. Win-win for everyone.
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I just don't worry about it, as long as it's not an everyday occurrence. An occasional meal that puts you in the red isn't the end of the world. Losing weight isn't a race, you have to keep eating the same way once you reach your goal weight. Relax and enjoy the scenery on your way there. Special meals and occasions are part of life, you can't expect to be "perfect" for every meal for the rest of your life!
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I used to , especially when I was much newer but It's important to keep with it. The anxiety goes away/lessens once you have a few days like that and don't gain. For me the turning point was when I logged my b day was 900 over , and still lost. The idea is that MFP teaches you that you just can;t do that all the time, but the occasional overage won't set you back too much. I've developed a certain trust in MFP as a tool that I know works and i think that just comes with time : )
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    dont stress. At the end of the week you will realize it didn't really count as much. Just work harder on the next few days following the big eat days.

Just don't eat as much at the buffets/ or pizza places.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    something that's really important in being successful with this is allowing yourself occasional meals like this. mind you, they should be occasional, but as others have said, it's all about getting right back on track and not allowing the overeating to take over again. sometimes in life you DO go out, you do celebrate, and you do eat a lot more. you need to be able to still live. try not to beat yourself up over it, and just get right back on track!

This! I've gone over many times and have still lost. It makes me feel better if I workout that day so I earn some extra calories. Or I bank them during the week and if I go over on the weekend, no biggie, I'm still under for the week.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Unlike some others, I recommend recording everything... be honest with yourself, even if you allow yourself to go over sometimes.

You allow yourself to be under some days too, don't you?

It's about balance and habits you can keep up life-long. If you view this as short-term, it will be. Short-term "dieting" mentality and the feeling of deprivation lead to binges and yo-yo dieting.

So, as you've already done, figure out ways to make it "fit". The salad first is a good idea, but be careful about the dressing and high-calorie ingredients. Some of them can be worse than the pizza. Check out which toppings are better for your plan. In general you can load pizza up with vegetables -- peppers, broccoli, even olives (which have fat, but it's a healthier fat). Along with your salad, drink... water is probably best, but diet soda or unsweetened (or lightly sweetened by you, not the restaurant) tea.

Focus on the company. Isn't that why you're going out with them? Talk and listen, eat slowly.

If you can, eat lower calorie choices in the earlier part of the day, or maybe lower fat (?) depending on your goals, try to leave room. planning for the special meal. One way to do that, especially when you know what you'll be likely to eat, is to pre-log it. That helps you know where to leave the room as you eat your other meals. You may not estimate it quite right, and you can adjust or fix it afterwards... that's part of what you're learning here, right?

Too much stress raises hormones that are bad for you and for weight loss. So keep in mind that one meal will not undo your whole week (unless you're talking about a multi-hour binge).

Enjoy your meal and the variation in what you're eating and the company. Have a good day!
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    When I first started seeing results, I used to freak out when my meal options got extremely limited (such as a family gathering). These days I aim to go over at least once a week with a "not so healthy" option. This week I had fish and chips, beer and a strawberry shake in one day, and I was way, way over. I also hit a new low on my weight this week, so I'm no longer worried about going over.

I allow myself one day too. I think it helps a ton and keeps me on track.
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    If you have ever watched biggest loser even bob harper will say they let their contestants have atleast 1 cheat day a week because sometimes your body gets so use to eating the healthy stuff that you body just needs the extra calories.

The way I see it. If I am trying to make a lifestyle change its going to take me a lifetime to make these changes for the rest of my life.

Just look at the big picture. How many times did you use to eat out a week, compared to how many times you are now?

I think you need cheat days more for mental approval then anything.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Two more things :smile:...

The idea of a walk for everyone after dinner was an excellent one! Even if everyone doesn't go, it sets a great example for the kids.

While I do recommend eating more carefully the rest of the day, don't eat so little that you show up to the restaurant with a huge appetite. You may even want to have some water or a piece of laughing cow cheese or something else just before you go.
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Try not to stress over it. The more you're stressed, the harder it is to lose weight! Something I have started doing is if I know I'm going out- looking up the place online and finding out what thier foods have in it- calories, fat, carbs etc. So im still planning what I am going to eat before I get there. Most buffet places also have a salad section and fruit section. I might suggest eating a salad first and some fruit- then go for a slice of pizza. That way your eating "the good stuff" first and the not so good stuff last :) Next time you guys have a date- try incorporating something fun thats also physical with it- like the walks someone suggested or take her dancing! :) Anything that gets you moving would be great and would help you feel better. Honestly, as long as your not doing this several times a week- I don't think you have too much worry involved.
  • LIswimmer51
    Options
    Exercise before you go out, you'll save the calories for dinner. Pizza is on average of 250 calories/slice.... find time to do a jog for 30 minutes or so or walk so you don't feel as guilty. I'm in your boat as I went to San Genarro last night in Manhattan and had my cheat day yesterday. Luckily it was a lot of walking and I worked out before going. Remember... the more you work out the more you can eat.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I relax because a calorie deficit is built into our daily allotment on MFP. Also, I do enough exercise during the week that usually I have atleast 3500 calories remaining on top of that deficit. To me, having one day where I go over isn't bad, because I've controlled for it in other places. That doesn't mean I go hog wild, but it means I relax about eating over my cal budget. Or, I exercise a lot the day I'm going out, if I know before hand, and save most of my cals for the big meal by eating lighter more protein/ nutrient dense meals prior to it - so I have extra cals, I'm not ravenous approaching the meal, but I can relax and enjoy myself.
  • kareinlib
    Options
    Well I could talk for hours on all of my "dining out" tips, like only eating half of the meal and choosing foods off their websites with the calorie counts a few hours before you go out, etc. But what I've found is that if you're doing great for as long a period of time as that, one day really does not hinder your weight loss. Just make a promise to yourself to get right back into it the next day, maybe exercise an extra 30 minutes, but really you should be fine!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I "stress" when I go over on a ordinary day (like today!) and compensate by exercising. But for a special event, relax and enjoy - this is a marathon, and not a sprint, so one day off isn't going to hurt.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    not since switching to tdee minus a small deficit. i would have to eat a whole honking lot to go over. lol
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    One meal is nothing. There are 28 meals in a week.

Words to live by!

OP- just pace yourself. Eat slowly, savor all the different flavors, and drink plenty of water. If you're going to eat something you don't normally get, you have to enjoy it, just use moderation! Don't stress and feel guilty, everything is ok in moderation & negativity doesn't help weight loss anymore than extra calories do.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    No....not as long as its not a lot over. Life is for living and we have to have SOME times where we can relax and just enjoy those times in life where food is a big part. You might gain some water weight, but it will pass. Just go out and have fun!!
  • 2011Eileen
    2011Eileen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    No not to much....if it was a lot over continually then I think I would. I think we need to allow it, and at the same time, not get back into old habits