QUICK: I need an egg recipe!!

Options
littlelily613
littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
I am getting ready to make a casserole with eggs for supper (which I will have in the oven sometime in the next two hours), but I don't have any cheese. I am probably going to throw in what veggies I have on hand (broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, onion), and the eggs. I might also add some potatoes. What I DON'T HAVE is cheese (except for spaghetti parmesan), so I need a recipe without cheese. The only milk I have is coconut milk (Silk), but I don't know if that would taste good with a savoury egg recipe. I could add some cream soup though? I don't know! Any ideas???

Edit: I should also add that I'm vegetarian and I don't eat fake meat, so the above mentioned ingredients is pretty much what I have to work with (with other veggie-friendly ingredients in my cupboards as well...just nothing meaty).

Replies

• belle165
    belle165 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Turn your casserole into a frittata (lots of receipes onlne including from food network) add tons of veggies and some cumin.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Yes fritatta. Had it for dinner. Fried some onion, garlic and potato until soft. Add lots of black pepper, and 6 eggs and fry until set on the bottom, put under the grill to. Cook the top half. Grate cheese over the top if you wish. Awesome, low calorie and very filling... Quick to x
  • amandae0182
    Options
    just dont put the cheese? I dont eat cheese and I just omit it when a recipe calls for it.
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Was also going to suggest fritatta. Just sautee up your veg/meat pour on beaten eggs, cook the bottom then bake until fully cooked. Tons of recipes out there. My favorite is salmon/cream cheese.
  • lifeisbeautyfull
    Options
    I made this the other night- so good! Just sub your potatoes and veggies for the ones listed:

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/zucchini-and-sweet-potato-frittata/
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Turn your casserole into a frittata (lots of receipes onlne including from food network) add tons of veggies and some cumin.

That's what I do. I just take a nonstick pan, cook up whatever meat and veggies I want. Zucchini and spinach are my current faves, then I cover that with about 4 cups egg whites. I'm lactose intolerant, so I don't use cheese. I sometimes use textured vegetable protein in lieu of bread crumbs to bulk it up a bit. Last time I made a frittata (2 days ago lol) I used 1.5 cups of egg whites and 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and I couldn't taste any vanilla flavor. It just tasted like I had used milk. Anyways. On low heat, pour eggs over veggies, cook around 10-15 min stirring somewhat infrequently, then broil about 10 min or until browned on top.

I love that it stores and reheats well, so I make like 6 servings and put it in tupperware to bring to work for lunch :)
  • littlelily613
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. Frittata sounds pretty good, I think I will try that tonight!
  • littlelily613
    Options
    I just remembered!: I have feta cheese (mmmm)!! When I used to manage a little food place, I used to make greek style quiche which including feta and was almost always vegetarian. Soooo good. Soooo I am make greek frittata, and I hope it turns out well. Thanks for the help!