Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

how many calories do occupations burn a day?

Surely there must be some!

Replies

• llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    I just found this site, haven't looked at it yet.

http://caloriecount.about.com/activities-occupation-ac11
  • Yeah, i saw that site too awhile back but do you really want to logg your occupation? Not me unless its super strenuous like; waitress, fitness trainer, UPS/FedX delivery person, Physical Fitness coach of a school just to name a few.

I am an accountant and I sit on my arsh all day while I am sure that the mental aspect must burn some calories I really don't want to log it. Just saying.

:drinker:
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Grabbing some popcorn and sitting back, this is going to get interesting quickly.
  • Wendy595
    Wendy595 Posts: 28 Member
    I'm a manager at a retail store and spend a good 7 hours of that 8 hours walking or lifting freight. I do not count it because it isn't time I set aside to get my heart rate up. Yeah I may be burning calories but that is just a typical part of my day. I
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    If it's something you do on a regular basis, set your activity level accordingly (sedentary, lightly active, active, very active) rather than trying to log it as exercise. Your calories for the day are based on your activity level settings.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Grabbing some popcorn and sitting back, this is going to get interesting quickly.
    This ^^^^^:drinker:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    If it's something you do on a regular basis, set your activity level accordingly (sedentary, lightly active, active, very active) rather than trying to log it as exercise. Your calories for the day are based on your activity level settings.

This ^
    Also, your body will begin to adapt to it.
    I work on the Gym floor, as a PT and a group instructor, so therefore my profile is set to "active."
  • I don't think you're supposed to count the activity you do at work every day. If it's only occasionally that you're active at work, then your body is used to it and it becomes part of your BMR. If you have an active job, like a nurse or waitress, update your MFP account settings to reflect that and it will give you more calories in the day.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member

This.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    I agree that your normal daily activity, such as what you do at work every day, should be reflected in your profile activity setting. The other option is to set it at sedentary and use an activity monitor such as a FitBit or other device to keep track of your daily activity (which is what I do).
  • I'm a manager at a retail store and spend a good 7 hours of that 8 hours walking or lifting freight. I do not count it because it isn't time I set aside to get my heart rate up. Yeah I may be burning calories but that is just a typical part of my day. I

^^this
    I'm a pharmacy tech and only sit for my lunch time (about 25 minutes) in a 9 hour day. According to my fitbit, I walk over 5 miles a day but I don't count that as exercise or burned calories. I was doing the same thing when I gained a bunch of weight so obviously my body is used to that amount of exercise. I only count things that I do to purposefully burn calories and get my HR up.
  • gpstrucker
    I don't think you're supposed to count the activity you do at work every day. If it's only occasionally that you're active at work, then your body is used to it and it becomes part of your BMR. If you have an active job, like a nurse or waitress, update your MFP account settings to reflect that and it will give you more calories in the day.

Not part of your BMR but rather part of your TDEE.
  • im a waitress.i work all nights 11pm-6am..im the only waitress there..i wear ankle weights for extra work out.can someone give me their thoughts on that....
    also i have a question..i like doing leg work outs..why does it seem my thighs get huge after a work out..do i need to stretch more or maybe its the acid in my muscles....im confused about this..
  • gpstrucker
    I'm a manager at a retail store and spend a good 7 hours of that 8 hours walking or lifting freight. I do not count it because it isn't time I set aside to get my heart rate up. Yeah I may be burning calories but that is just a typical part of my day. I

^^this
    I'm a pharmacy tech and only sit for my lunch time (about 25 minutes) in a 9 hour day. According to my fitbit, I walk over 5 miles a day but I don't count that as exercise or burned calories. I was doing the same thing when I gained a bunch of weight so obviously my body is used to that amount of exercise. I only count things that I do to purposefully burn calories and get my HR up.

Your body being used to that activity only affects whether it impacts your fitness. All activity above sitting on the couch burns calories whether your body is "used to it" or not. You should either have that accounted for in your profile activity level or added by your FitBit. Of course everyone is different and goes about this in their own way.

Using the MFP number, along with the FitBit adjustments has been working well for me.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 797 Member
    In my opinion, unless you do something that involves heavy labor, there's no point in counting calories from your everyday life. By trying to log "work" calories, you're just short changing yourself and thinking you can do less that day for the same results. Do your job, log a solid hour at the gym and log that.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    I've been wearing my motoactv throughout the day (updates mean that battery life isn't bad these days) as it works as a pedometer as well as connecting to HRM for exercise stuff. Seems to do an ok job.
  • Yeah, i saw that site too awhile back but do you really want to logg your occupation? Not me unless its super strenuous like; waitress, fitness trainer, UPS/FedX delivery person, Physical Fitness coach of a school just to name a few.

I am an accountant and I sit on my arsh all day while I am sure that the mental aspect must burn some calories I really don't want to log it. Just saying.

This has been a thorn in my side since starting a diet plan. Since I am one of the aforementioned above, I have to average out my daily burn at work or my calorie intake #'s are just a complete guess. In other words, if I want to be at a slight deficit to burn .5 lb/wk, I need to to know approximately how many calories I burn daily at work or I'll never reach my goal.

This is where Fitbit does come in rather handy ... completely accurate? No, but close enough to get a good idea of where I need to be with my calorie intake.

Just as a little heads up ... the reason I know these things is because I'm struggling with muscle gain .. it was baffling me. P90X should be putting on some muscle ... my reps were stagnant as well. Fitbit keeps a running log of calories in vs calories out. Upon looking further, I noticed I was burning in excess of 90,000 calories per month, yet consuming only 54,000. That's a deficit of 36,000/mo. So, upon figuring this all out I upped my intake to 2383/day ... I still fell way short and am in the process of another calorie bump.

My point is, if you don't know what you burn, you have no idea how much to consume. TDEE calculators are a guess based on the average person at the activity level you select ... anything other than normal and its a guess of a guess.

BTW, most days I have a Fitbit adjustment of around 550-600 cals while working. It varies day to day as it would person to person, since not everyone is my age, weight and height, etc. Nor do we all do the same exact thing every single day.
  • gpstrucker
    Yeah, i saw that site too awhile back but do you really want to logg your occupation? Not me unless its super strenuous like; waitress, fitness trainer, UPS/FedX delivery person, Physical Fitness coach of a school just to name a few.

This has been a thorn in my side since starting a diet plan. Since I am one of the aforementioned above, I have to average out my daily burn at work or my calorie intake #'s are just a complete guess. In other words, if I want to be at a slight deficit to burn .5 lb/wk, I need to to know approximately how many calories I burn daily at work or I'll never reach my goal.

This is where Fitbit does come in rather handy ... completely accurate? No, but close enough to get a good idea of where I need to be with my calorie intake.

Just as a little heads up ... the reason I know these things is because I'm struggling with muscle gain .. it was baffling me. P90X should be putting on some muscle ... my reps were stagnant as well. Fitbit keeps a running log of calories in vs calories out. Upon looking further, I noticed I was burning in excess of 90,000 calories per month, yet consuming only 54,000. That's a deficit of 36,000/mo. So, upon figuring this all out I upped my intake to 2383/day ... I still fell way short and am in the process of another calorie bump.

My point is, if you don't know what you burn, you have no idea how much to consume. TDEE calculators are a guess based on the average person at the activity level you select ... anything other than normal and its a guess of a guess.

BTW, most days I have a Fitbit adjustment of around 550-600 cals while working. It varies day to day as it would person to person, since not everyone is my age, weight and height, etc. Nor do we all do the same exact thing every single day.

I agree. You need to know about how many calories you burn each day to know how much to eat. Agreed it is all a bit of a guess, but the better the information the better the result. Seems to be working for me. :)