Weight loss stalling

Options
I think I've hit a bit if a standstill and would appreciate some pointers (good & bad criticism welcome).

I'm a 5ft 3inches woman, sedentary office job and initially weighed in at 166lbs at beginning of August. I dropped quite quickly to 155-154lbs and since then have been fluctuating around 152-154 but not losing any.

Im on 1200 cals per day and work it on a weekly basis, the following ismy weekly over/under:

6/8- 1073 cals under weekly allowance
13/8- 478 under
20/8- 259 under
27/8- 418 under
3/9- 1299 under
10/9- 118 over (whooooopsy!)
17/9- 324 under

I started exercising a fair amount mid way through so am doing minimum of 3 classes and 2 gym sessions a week so am making sure I eat back some of the cals to keep me healthy.

Any ideas or tips to help me start seeing the drop I want would be appreciated. I fly to Mexico in 5.5 weeks and want to feel happier in my bikini :0)

Replies

• ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I may be having a reading comprehension fail, so to clarify: Are you eating UNDER your 1200 a day on the weeks that you are coming out with an "under" number?

If so, you're not eating enough.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Well I can't see your diary but I would say more water, make sure your not cutting to many calories since you started working out more. Also are you eating the right things? It's not just about counting calories but what your putting into your body. Hope it helps.
  • kittenkirst
    kittenkirst Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hiya, yes it is under as in my weekly allowance is 8400 before exercise and the above is how I've measured up. Most of the under days was from exercising so Im trying to remember to (healthily) eat back the calories burned.

Water is pretty high, around 2.5litres a day (working out means I drink a lot) and I generally eat 6+ portions if veg a day (this werks not been good though so getting back to prepping my lunches) :0)
  • asticoral
    Options
    You need to eat more, if your allowance is 8400 / 7 = 1200 per day - you are consistently under your goal.
    Excellent on the veggies! but add more protein and get TO the 1200 per day mark, if you want to eat into your exercise bonus feel free up to half of them if you are hungry
  • shiftysheep
    shiftysheep Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would personally suggest you eat more & keep exercising. Eating under 1200 calories a day for a prolonged period (especially when exercising) can cause low leptin levels, when leptin is low the body favors storing energy (as fat) rather than expending it (repairing & growing). This is how our bodies sense feast or famine.

If you feed you body & exercise, you will build lean mass (takes up less space) & speeds up you metabolism (burn fat faster), but on the other hand underfeeding & exercise, will slow your metabolism down, by breaking down lean mass & favoring storing fat, as your body thinks a famine is coming. But if you exercise & trick your body into thinking times are good & it can expend excess calories on building muscles, jogging, lifting & having fun.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. I suggest you forget the calories in, calories out that only works short term and then is not especially healthy. A low glycemic eating plan that allows you to eat all the "quality" foods you want and to exercise briefly, once a week using a very high intensity program is scientifically proven to work.

To learn more about the plan, you can go to The Smarter Science of Slim Website. They have lots of free podcasts and a forum, also a book. The latest scientific research shows this plan works. I'm on it myself and can attest to it.

You're not eating enough and probably not the right foods.
  • shiftysheep
    shiftysheep Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    exercise briefly, once a week using a very high intensity program

I would suggest more than once a week (3-6 times a week), but I agree with the high intensity.