Frame Size

Options
How is it really calculated?

I've heard of wrapping your fingers around your wrist and seeing if they overlap. But couldn't a person just have long fingers?

And I've heard of actually measuring your wrist, but wouldn't it be true that the more weight you lose, the smaller your wrists will become? So using the wrist measurements, a person who lost a significant amount of weight would no longer have a large frame, but a medium or small one. It doesn't really make sense to me.

So what IS the most accurate way to determine frame size? And how important is it in determining what your goal weight should be?

Replies

• anggxo
    anggxo Posts: 102
    Options
    Anyone? Bueller?
  • Seashellx
    Options
    I do not know exactly.. Have always wondered myself as I always consider myself to have a large frame for someone my height (5'3"). I don't think there is much fat on your wrists so I don't think they would shrink as you lost weight.
  • amenok
    amenok Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You know what I was geniunely interested in that as well, and i googled this. Maybe this is worth a try? I'm gonna try it right now to see! I have very danty wrists so maybe i'm 'supposed' to be a small frame. Give it a shot =)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/451497-how-to-find-out-your-body-frame/
    Compare your wrist and height measurements to the charts set forth by the National Institutes of Health. If you're a woman under 5 feet 2 inches, a wrist measurement under 5.5 inches indicates a small frame, between 5.5 and 5.75 inches indicates a medium frame, and over 5.75 inches indicates a large frame.

If you're 5 feet 2 inches to 5 feet 5 inches, a wrist measurement of less than 6 inches means you have a small frame, between 6 and 6.25 inches means you have a medium frame, and larger than 6.25 means you have a large frame. If you 're a woman taller than 5 feet 5 inches and have a wrist measurement under 6.25 inches, you have a small frame. If it's from 6.25 to 6.5 inches, you have a medium frame, and if it's over 6.5 inches, you have a large frame.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I read about it recently.

www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm Uses wrist measurement with height.

www.am-i-fat.com/body_frame_size.html Uses wrist size and your elbow size.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I don't know that wrist size is reliable, as wrists can get pretty thin, even on a larger framed person, if they are lacking in bodyfat, or are underweight.

I thought from an older post that elbow measurement is supposed to be more reliable. Going by wrist, I am a small frame, but going by elbow, I have a large frame. I also have quite broad shoulders, so I have no clue anymore.