Buying food on Food Stamps

Options

Replies

• HockeyFan1987
    Options
    If you don't have a crockpot, but you can still make soups on the stovetop. Most of the things people mentioned already can be combined into soups, stews or chilis & then eaten for a few days (which makes them convenient as well as easy).

I also don't know how big your freezer is, but I know at my local grocery stores, sometimes they'll have a big meat or freezer sale & that's always a good time to stock up.

I have a standard refrigerator with freezer above (not much storage space)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Is it just you or are you shopping for a significant other/children? I spend about $200 on food (sometimes less) per month and am able to get plenty of healthy fresh vegetables and fruits, in addition to the other great suggestions on this thread. Sometimes that $200 even includes toiletries/dog and cat food, depending on my needs. You can go online and look at sales flyers for various stores and compare prices. Sunflower Market/Sprouts (if there is one in your area) has great produce and great sales. You can get a bag of 6-8 frozen chicken breasts at Walmart for $6-8...frozen veggies are often cheap or on sale and can be added to some lean protein for a good meal. Add some brown rice/whole wheat pasta/sweet potatos etc if you want some starches...

Good luck!
  • HockeyFan1987
    Options
    Is it just you or are you shopping for a significant other/children? I spend about $200 on food (sometimes less) per month and am able to get plenty of healthy fresh vegetables and fruits, in addition to the other great suggestions on this thread. Sometimes that $200 even includes toiletries/dog and cat food, depending on my needs. You can go online and look at sales flyers for various stores and compare prices. Sunflower Market/Sprouts (if there is one in your area) has great produce and great sales. You can get a bag of 6-8 frozen chicken breasts at Walmart for $6-8...frozen veggies are often cheap or on sale and can be added to some lean protein for a good meal. Add some brown rice/whole wheat pasta/sweet potatos etc if you want some starches...

Good luck!

I am single, no children
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    that is GREAT that you have an Aldi nearby. Their food is much cheaper and is just as good as name brands. Mostly they sell off brand stuff, but I prefer their spaghetti sauce and canned tuna to name brand stuff. We were on a severe food budget when we first got married and Aldi helped us so much. I would estimate that we saved about 30% overall by shopping there.
    They also have decent frozen foods, dairy, coffee, cheese, and some meats and produce. They are lacking in the last two things but it's not bad. Bring your own bags and a quarter to "rent" the shopping cart, (you get it back when you return the cart).
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    crockpots are inexpensive - check out your local thrift shops - or walmart has them for around 20 - it is worth it to save for one.
    Buy store brands and learn to check unit prices - look for the store adds and buy on sale and in bulk.
    Dry beans, lentil, peas, rice, old fashioned/steel cut oats are staples that are inexpedient to buy in bulk. Corn tortillas work well as wraps, tacos, burritos and are better for you than the flour ones. Pasta can be as little as a buck a box,
    Walmart has bigger sizes of many staples for less compared to many chains
    You can get powdered milk in bulk and make your own as you need it.
    Frozen veggies can be found for as little as a buck a bag.
    Check out your market and see when the meats get marked down because they are almost out of date- frequently you can get them for half price,
    look in the produce section for their markdown produce - when a new shipment comes in the older but still good stuff gets packaged at discount.

Do you have dollar stores? produce marts? Many take EBT cards and can be a lot cheaper than big box markets.
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is plan. How many meals are you going for. (3 a day with snacks?)

I would google for a meals template and get one for a week and print. Be specific if you can. Realize that if you are busy on a specific evening than you need to have something simple for supper and plan accordingly.

Make a meal plan of what you want to eat each meal and then work up a grocery list.

This will allow you to see what you need and then shop accordingly.

So, if you are going to start with 2 eggs each morning you will need 2 dozen eggs (2*7 = 14 so 2 dozen would give enough for breakfast and then more for other things or to start out with next week.)

Include things like:
    Fresh fruit for meals and snacks
    Fresh and frozen veggies (I find it easy to prep some veggies on the weekend to help me make it thru the week. Peel carrots, wash and cut up broccoli and cauliflower, etc)

I like to snack on cheese, white cheeses (mozzerella, monteray jack) normally have fewer calories than yellow cheeses per ounce (check to verify, I'm going off the cuff here!)

Incorporate beans and whole grains to help you stay full.
  • awilmeri
    awilmeri Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    There are several decent cookbooks out there for people on a rig budget, you might check the library for a few. My library I can even get them as ebooks instantaneously.

I think your best bets are going to be soups and the crock pot. You can stretch chicken and beef a lot with soup. I would shop twice a month so you can still get some fresh stuff. Also use the fliers before you go to see what's on sale and then use cookbooks or online recipe sites to find recipes for those foods. There are a some great blogs for people trying to save money that might help you too! A year of slow cooking, money saving mom, bargain Brianna, sites like those will help get you started on shopping well with a budget.

Good luck, it's tough but definitely not impossible!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Dried beans. We lived off them for a long time! Cook them down with onion & chicken broth. Get the 15 bean soup (dried beans) and add a can of tomato sauce and diced tomatos and throw in some cooked elbow noodles & you have dinner for a week! You can freeze it too, in portion sizes (before you add the pasta)

Good luck!
  • HockeyFan1987
    Options
    that is GREAT that you have an Aldi nearby. Their food is much cheaper and is just as good as name brands. Mostly they sell off brand stuff, but I prefer their spaghetti sauce and canned tuna to name brand stuff. We were on a severe food budget when we first got married and Aldi helped us so much. I would estimate that we saved about 30% overall by shopping there.
    They also have decent frozen foods, dairy, coffee, cheese, and some meats and produce. They are lacking in the last two things but it's not bad. Bring your own bags and a quarter to "rent" the shopping cart, (you get it back when you return the cart).

Yeah, I've shopped at Aldi before lol when I was younger, but I used to go up there all the time with my parents.
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I didn't see this yet, but Oatmeal for breakfast is a great stable. Filling and healthy.
  • RobynBourgeois
    Options
    Aldi is a great store for cheap, good quality food if you have one nearby.

Aldi also carries a brand called Fit & Active. I haven't had much that I didn't like. It is all low calorie & healthy foods. It is about all I buy these days.
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything else except for coupon shopping. I coupon shop a lot (we are a military family) and I save a lot doing that. I will say compare prices for frozen veggies vs. canned veggies - depending on the sales, you can get all kinds :) Rice and beans as people say go a long way. Best of luck to you!! (BTW - If you are in need of any more assistance, I will say Catholic Charities are very helpful and are other food assistance programs locally in your area. My parents had to go through that before that's how I know) :)

Take care!! :)
  • webdaughter
    webdaughter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Also..something else to think about. Coupons!! I save a ton of money by couponing. You can't use coupons at Aldi but you can at Walmart and at other stores. If you check out their websites or facebook pages they have deals that they don't advertise that are sometimes really good too. You can get coupons in the paper, or you can print them off on various websites. You can also email companies and request coupons and they will mail them to you 2 times per year!!
    All the meal suggestions have been great so I won't repeat any of them. You can do it!! Good luck!!
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    I spend a little over $200 a month in groceries shopping for me and my boyfriend sometimes while he is in school. That doesn't including toiletries or my animals.

Things we stock up on: You can get 2 lbs of tilapia for around 7 and bulk salmon. I can find 6oz containers of Greek yogurt for $1. We also stock up on steam in bag frozen veggies. Other things like dried beans and brown rice make quick meals and barley is cheap and you can throw it in soup. We also get things like spinach wraps and throw beans and various other things in there for quick wraps

Also, 1 bag of dried garbanzo beans and a little tahini and garlic will make enough hummus to last us 2 weeks
  • HockeyFan1987
    Options
    Also, 1 bag of dried garbanzo beans and a little tahini and garlic will make enough hummus to last us 2 weeks

No idea what any of that stuff is lol!
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Uncle bens pouch rice in the rice section
    Canned tuna fish
    Eggs
    Already chopped up assorted fresh fruit
    Shrimp! The frozen kind ah gotta love it !
    Tyson's grilled and ready chicken breasts or tenderloins
    Peppercorn / turkey/ BBQ Holmes pork tenderloin -stick it in the oven with some foil and u can refrigerate e rest.
    Packaged and already portioned ceaser salad brand - market street u can add the Purdue grilled short cuts chicken to this yum
    Pico -brand market street
    Mini digorno pizzas 650 for one entire thing to yourself
    Healthy choice topchef frozen TV dinners.. These things are delicious
    Stoufers singles example. Stuffed pepper
    Almond milk -yummy
    Yoplait light yogurts- Boston cream is bomb! I swear lol
    ^^^all at your local walmart^^
    Shoprite
    Microwaveable sweet potatoes in the produce section
    Hummus shoprite brand - has less calories then be name brands
    Fit and easy Purdue raw chicken usually at Walmart or shoprite even a hearts I believe.
    Any canned soup by select harvest is delicious

Al I can come up with for now lol - good luck love ❤????
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I don't have experience with food stamps however, we spend about $150 a week for a family of 5 along with feeding 5-8 daycare kids at least 1 meal and 2 snacks a day! I shop by flyers, rarely buying full price with a few exceptions such as oatmeal and milk. If fresh produce on sale isn't what you like, buy frozen, we always have 3-4 bags of frozen veggies on hand. Soups are great and can be a meal or go along with a sandwich. Breakfast foods for dinner is also good. I love making casseroles... add whatever you like to lean ground beef, turkey or chicken (whatever is on sale). Add rice or pasta and a ton of vegies. I sometimes do rice, frozen veggies, soup and greek yogurt, bake in oven and you can make enough for 2-3 meals. My favorite "go to" cheap and easy thing is anything with tortillas.... pizza, wraps, breakfast sandwiches, chicken quisadillas (sp?), etc.
  • marie_eve_78
    marie_eve_78 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about how food stamps work, since I'm canadian, but this might help:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy-eating-on-a-budget/package/index.html
    :)
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    What about bakery outlets for whole grain breads?
  • buffalogal2
    buffalogal2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you have a Whole Foods nearby, believe it or not, they do have a program to help people on a budget learn how to afford to eat healthy. Look on their website, or give them a call.