Fish is good for you but I can't stand it!!!

Options
I would like to start eating fish but everytime I try it I can just .......I can't take the texture, smell or taste. Does anyone have any suggestions. Today I tried Alaskan Cod. My kids like it thank goodness :)

Replies

• Neko025
    Options
    Maybe you can just take a Fish Oil Supplement?? I get mine from GNC - Triple Strength Fish Oil Supplement. You only have to take it once a day, so it isn't such a bad addition to my normal routine.

Other than that, maybe you could try tilapia? I am not much of a fish-eater myself, but regularly eat Tuna (packets, not cans) and OCCASIONALLY can stomach some Salmon. Tilapia is extremely mild though and hardly has any fishy taste to you. I would recommend putting it in tacos!
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    i know....it's sick...i'm in the same boat (lol).
    still im going to try. and at least i like tuna, so that helps. do you like tuna?
  • sallyah13
    sallyah13 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I absolutely cannot stand it either, I finally decided that I was not going to torture myself with something I do not like just because it is good for me. I eat very healthy otherwise so figure not having fish or yogurt (which I can't stand either) is not that big of a deal! I tried to make it many different ways and if the smell didn't get to me the texture did. I also still make it for my family though and I eat chicken instead!
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the texture either!! I tried Tilapia at Red Lobster a couple months ago and had to struggle no to gag on it.:ohwell:
    My family was trying to get me to try it so I did in the hopes of liking it and convincing my kids that it was good. I didn't!!
    I will have to try the supplement!!
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    Sadly, i'm with you. The only time I like fish is when it's bad....like when we go down to the beach for dinner and its a fried (yes, I said the f word) mahi-mahi or tilapia sandwich. I know I should feel guilty, even if it's on a wheat roll. I have been to a couple restaurants where the blackened fish sandwiches are pretty good, but I can't figure it out at home.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Same boat here.
    Since my lifestyle change, I've tried cooking salmon and tilapia. I couldn't even bring myself to eat the tilapia and I choked down the salmon but it's not something I'm going to buy to make again.
    I'm not a picky eater at all, other than this, but I've given up trying to eat pretty much all sea and lake creatures. :laugh: I've instead focused my efforts on figuring out new ways to prepare chicken and extra lean beef. :wink:

If it makes you feel better about the Omega 3 benefit, most all fish you find in US grocery stores are farm raised (which means they're grain fed), so they have extremely low Omega 3 amounts. Unless you're eating wild caught fish (will say so specifically on the label -- you know, or you're catching them yourself), you're not getting your O3s.
  • cvtga
    cvtga Posts: 118
    Options
    I can't stomach seafood either. It has health benefits, but you know what that is why pharmaceutical companies put all that goodness into vitamins and supplements.
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    I can't stand the texture either!! I tried Tilapia at Red Lobster a couple months ago and had to struggle no to gag on it.:ohwell:
    My family was trying to get me to try it so I did in the hopes of liking it and convincing my kids that it was good. I didn't!!
    I will have to try the supplement!!

Sorry, to quote your post :blushing:

My doc gave me good advice about the fish oil supplement...store them in the freezer and take one right before bedtime so you're not burping that fishy taste all day. I know it's gross, and i'm sorry, but it really works.
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. Tilapia is the only one I can really stomach and even then I am still finding it hard. The only recipe that I love with tilapia is fish tacos. Of course then you are adding a corn tortilla but still. I love it!
  • rvkirk
    rvkirk Posts: 37
    Options
    I've been veggie all my life and have been trying to eat fish and meat my whole life but just can't stand it. Recently was in turkey and managed to eat if not like the fresh grilled fish they served. It didn't taste as fishy but even prepared the same way at home can't eat it. Maybe it's just in my mind. I can eat tofu and soya products so get my protein there. Take fish oils occasionaly and keep them in the freezer.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    make sure you take fish oil on a full stomach otherwise you'll end up burping fish taste! Gross!! I take flax oil for my omegas instead of dealing with fishiness...
  • missyjane
    missyjane Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love fish, but can't stand most veggies.
  • Butterfly2222
    Options
    Ladies, I feel your pain. The only fish that I would eat is canned Tuna. Until recently my sister made Tilapia and surprisingly I was able to eat it. It really is pretty mild and preparation has everything to do with it too. Still struggle a bit with it, but I will eventually get used to it. Love shell fish though! :) I have been taking Trader Joe's Odorless Fish Oil for a few years now and I don't have any issues with the burping or after taste. Are there any other fish out there that any of you can recommend that isn't really fishy tasting?? Thanks for the advice! :flowerforyou:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I used to feel this same way. I started small, as I was determined that I like fish--as any foodie would like fish. I started with fried fish (bad I know, but it is tasty and has very little fishy flavor). I think I started with catfish. Then I moved onto tilapia (broiled). I put lemon pepper all over it and it is verrrrry mild flavored and the texture is flaky.

Maybe you can go to your fish counter at the market and get a small sample of a few kinds. Then cook them up at home and decide if you like any. The one fish I do not like is salmon; it is very fishy to me. I love mahi mahi, halibut, and tilapia the most. They're white fish, mild flavor. Try crisping them up by baking them in a little dredge so the won't be so mushy, and don't forget the seasoning! Good luck!
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    I used to despise fish until I moved to Alaska where I could buy it fresh for cheap! I love it now! I am still picky about what seafood I will eat though. I stick to white fish (halibut and tilapia are my favorite) and salmon. If you season it and bake it in the oven, fish is sooo good. Fish is better with lemon. I prepare 4 oz of salmon and slice it into a spinach salad. I put a variety of veggies and even fruits in there, and honestly most people don't even notice that it's salmon when you prepare it like that.

I cannot stand the fish oil supplements, but some companies are putting those important nutrients into other foods. For example, I have noticed they are putting it into peanut butters, butter spreads, etc. Of course it's not as good for you as the real thing, but if you are hard up for it, you can get those nutrients through other avenues.

Good luck.
  • tjones7
    tjones7 Posts: 306
    Options
    Hello,

I couldn't read all of the post because I'm rushing but the majority of people HATE fish. I on the other hand LOVE fish. I'm wating to try other kinds but my favorite is Salmon.

I also eat jack which is called whiting My favorite way to cook mine is pan seared or baked. I have also discovered frying my salmon which I put in canola olil and use some andy's seasoning to coat but I only use 2 servings.

to get rid of the smell try squeezing lemon juice on top of it and a little in the pan. I also like mine cooked a little longer because I don't want the slimy texture either.

Gl.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about it. You can have a well balanced nutrionally complete diet without eating seafood. Just keep having fun finding healthy foods you love.
  • Deweypc20
    Deweypc20 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    make sure you take fish oil on a full stomach otherwise you'll end up burping fish taste! Gross!! I take flax oil for my omegas instead of dealing with fishiness...

You can find fish oil pills that are enteric coated to avoid the fish burps. Work really well for me.
  • Gailey
    Gailey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like white fish but not other seafoods. On the other hand, I HATE lettuce - and after many years of trying to force myself to eat it I have given up...I can lose weight and be healthy without having to put up with lettuce leaves...and I'm sure you can survive and do well without fish....plenty of other yummies to go in our tummies??